Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Facts Justify The Assumption That Peyton Manning And Andrew Luck Can't Exist On The Same Team?

GoGoColts

Fiction.

You ask for facts or reasons why Luck / Manning can't coexist next year and Doogan provides a compelling reason why it does not make sense but you immediately dismiss it as fiction? It seems as if you really only wanted to hear from those that agree with your take.

But the fact of the matter is tying up that much money into one position is an extremely good reason why it may not make much sense. The new rookie salary cap helps the cause but there is still a huge amount of resources & cap space tied up into the QB position.

besides do you really expect a #1 pick to wait 3 years to take over? by the time he takes over he will be looking for a new deal, how exactly do you know if he is worth the top dollars he will be asking for if you havent even seen him play?

and yes I am assumming Manning is back and plays the length of his contract cause you are assuming we will have both.

Mameluc...

You know that its only a recent phenomenon that a quarterback didnt wait 3 or 4 years to start...

..and unless you have a great 'D; like Pittsburgh or Baltimore....starting rookie QBs has not

been a path to the playoffs.

Look at all the second and 3rd year guys struggling..

Jay Culter finally made the playoffs in his 5th year...and he's still a fundamental nightmare

Numbers are fine for Tv but look at that poor boy the Jets are trying make into a star QB...

Aaron Rodgers surely didnt like it..but his upbringing as a NFL QB was perfect

You're aware there is a new rookie cap system right? Which means we would not be paying Andrew Luck 12 mil a year or even close to that.

Not to mention that we don't know the status of Manning's health or how long he will be able to come back if at all.

We also, in case you haven't been paying attention this year, suck. Yeah, I know with Manning we'd be better, but this is not a team who is one QB away from being a legitimate superbowl team. So if you have visions of Lombardi's dancing around in your head next year just because Manning is back you're likely going to be disappointed. And in two years when Manning retires I suppose that's when we decide to address the long term needs at the most important position in football? Just hope that we are in a position to draft our franchise QB for the next 10-15 years?

I'm sorry, but with all the uncertainty regarding our QB position if we are in a position to draft Luck, we'd be fools not to.

Luck aside (pardon the pun)

I think in the American Conference..we ARE one QB away from Super Bowl,contention...

If its the old country boy :manning:

You ask for facts or reasons why Luck / Manning can't coexist next year and Doogan provides a compelling reason why it does not make sense but you immediately dismiss it as fiction? It seems as if you really only wanted to hear from those that agree with your take.

But the fact of the matter is tying up that much money into one position is an extremely good reason why it may not make much sense. The new rookie salary cap helps the cause but there is still a huge amount of resources & cap space tied up into the QB position.

Tied up for what maybe a couple of season and it is the most important position in the game makes it worth the shot.

Luck aside (pardon the pun)

I think in the American Conference..we ARE one QB away from Super Bowl,contention...

If its the old country boy :manning:

If we were really that good, we wouldn't be 0-10 right now.

Look, I get that Manning is awesome. He's probably the best I've ever seen play. But no QB is that good that they can take a winless team, and turn them into a superbowl team.

Which is why all this talk about "but next year!" is misguided. Now is the time to be thinking long term. We are in a position to solidfy our QB position for the next 10-15 years if Luck is even half who everyone seems to think he is. And people are willing to throw that away on some kind of pipe dream about Manning coming back and Lombardi's suddenly appearing.

He can't do it by himself. It's not reasonable to ask and certainly not to expect that Manning will just cure all that ails us. Do I enjoy typing that? No. We did him a terrible disservice by never really building a team around him.

But that doesn't mean we need to throw our future away on some cockamamey quick fix rebuilding scheme trying to right past wrongs.

The new wage scale has reduced a top picks contract by millions. Likely, Luck would get 7-9 million per year. Our best players are in their rookie contracts or headed towards their third contract. The money is there.

Why don't you show us where a team has paid top dollar for a Hall QB, 1st overall pick money for another one, and managed to win a Super Bowl.

49ers w/ Young and Montana? Rodgers and Favre?

you do realize none of those were #1 overall picks? you do realize Young came part of a trade?

i get it, the comparition is nice, but its not the same case at all IMO.

For years all we've heard is how the Colts have built up the Offense at the expense of the Defense. We now have a perfect opportunity to rebuild the Defense through the draft and people want us to go after a QB bench warmer? Seriously?

Our Defense and Special Teams SUCK. Those are the areas we need to concentrate on. If a QB comes up in a later round that would make a good backup for Peyton, fine, but we need to draft D first.

For years all we've heard is how the Colts have built up the Offense at the expense of the Defense. We now have a perfect opportunity to rebuild the Defense through the draft and people want us to go after a QB bench warmer? Seriously?

Our Defense and Special Teams SUCK. Those are the areas we need to concentrate on. If a QB comes up in a later round that would make a good backup for Peyton, fine, but we need to draft D first.

No people want them to take the best player available in the draft, which this year happens to be a QB. If say Sue was coming out this year I would advocate taking him. If Luck says doesn't come out, then no I don't advocate taking a QB with the 1 pick, but when you have the talent you have with him, you can't pass on him.

but you have to realize this was before Manning had the neck surgery

for all we know Manning could never play another down in the NFL again we just don't know what his health is at this point and if it is still a mystery by the time the draft comes, we all know what decision the FO will make

For what it's worth Polian was asked about our back up QB situation going forward tonight. He said that they were going to look at QBs in this draft and if the right guys is there and he really stressed it being the right guy which probably means a guy who is okay with sitting to start his career they would take him and figure out the cap situation after words and said you can always find ways to make the cap work. He also said that he had talked to Peyton about this and Peyton was okay with it. So what I pretty much heard was that if Luck is okay with sitting he'll be the pick.

For what it's worth Polian was asked about our back up QB situation going forward tonight. He said that they were going to look at QBs in this draft and if the right guys is there and he really stressed it being the right guy which probably means a guy who is okay with sitting to start his career they would take him and figure out the cap situation after words and said you can always find ways to make the cap work. He also said that he had talked to Peyton about this and Peyton was okay with it. So what I pretty much heard was that if Luck is okay with sitting he'll be the pick.

We will probably draft him anyway and then just trade him for a bunch of stuff.

It really sucks that the Colts couldn't get Andy Dalton. He is shaping up to be the best QB in this rookie class.

As the way it should be.

This is my thinking on the matter:

One year, we're going to have to replace Manning. I think it would make more sense to not have to start a rookie quarterback, and if a quarterback with talent worth mentioning can learn by watching Manning, then when it's his turn to play, he'll be further ahead. Ordinarily, when you have to replace a top level quarterback, you either take a swing in free agency or you have a really bad year and then draft a highly rated quarterback the next year. We're having that really bad year right now. So we can do one of two things: 1) We can hope that Manning comes back and is still able to play at a high level, spend a few more years hoping he can lead us to a Super Bowl, and then lose him to retirement and have another year like this year; 2) OR we can draft a high rated quarterback right now, and if Manning doesn't come back, we'll have our next guy already, but if Manning does come back, our next guy spends three years as a backup and then gets the nod later on.

The Packers wound up in pretty good shape by drafting Aaron Rodgers and sticking him on the bench for three years. It wasn't an ideal situation, but it's working out for them. The main difference is that the Packers drafted Rodgers with the 21st pick, not #1. That's a significant variable to take into consideration. But the idea that you have to draft a quarterback and then play him immediately is simply not true. There's absolutely no reason to believe that Manning and Luck can't coexist for a few seasons, with Luck being the heir apparent.

I don't think this has to be Andrew Luck, of course. He's being called the best prospect in over a decade, and that's got everyone excited, but it's not certain that he'll be a good NFL quarterback. I've seen him play a few times, and he looks like the real deal to me, but that probably doesn't make anyone feel any better. But assuming we wind up with the first pick (I'm rooting for that at this point), we could trade down, collect a gaggle of picks for this year and next, still take a highly rated quarterback in the first or second round, and improve several other positions (linebacker, corner, safety, defensive tackle, receiver, etc.) at the top of the draft. Josh Freeman went #17 a few years ago, and he has looked as good as Sanchez and Stafford who went #1 and #5 in the same draft. We would wind up spreading the risk of the #1 pick over four or five picks, and add several more players throughout the rest of the draft. It's not a bad strategy. It's actually a pretty good strategy, except for you're passing on a prospect that many people think can be the next Peyton Manning.

I'm not firmly in either camp. I see the benefit to both, and the potential downside to both. But I don't think there's any real justification to the idea that it would be a mistake to draft Luck and sit him behind Manning for a few years. And judging from Polian's history in the draft, I would think that he's more prone to go ahead and take his guy at the top of the draft than trade out and collect picks. Not defending that idea, and with Chris Polian running the draft, he might approach it differently. Either way, assuming we pick #1, there's nothing inherently wrong with either path. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

You're aware there is a new rookie cap system right? Which means we would not be paying Andrew Luck 12 mil a year or even close to that.

Not to mention that we don't know the status of Manning's health or how long he will be able to come back if at all.

We also, in case you haven't been paying attention this year, suck. Yeah, I know with Manning we'd be better, but this is not a team who is one QB away from being a legitimate superbowl team. So if you have visions of Lombardi's dancing around in your head next year just because Manning is back you're likely going to be disappointed. And in two years when Manning retires I suppose that's when we decide to address the long term needs at the most important position in football? Just hope that we are in a position to draft our franchise QB for the next 10-15 years?

I'm sorry, but with all the uncertainty regarding our QB position if we are in a position to draft Luck, we'd be fools not to.

I've been trying to say this to him for months now. He won't listen. Im not sure who or what a Doogen is, but his quest sounds like a journey through a smelly bearded hobo-land. :D