Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No.1 Is Not At Issue If Manning Is Cleared To Play...you Bring Him Back

oldunclemark

At this point, I do find myself hoping the Colts get the 1st pick.

I hope the next worse teams all get to a least three wins, the Colts are 0-14 with two games to go, after practicing for a few weeks Manning is given the clean bill of health to play and then he plays the final two games leading the Colts to two wins in a row.

All is then once again right, the Colts trade the 1st pick for a boat load of picks and players, and Manning plays for four more years, winning two more Super Bowls. Ahhhhh, my dream world. :-)

Unc, you are pretty much the only guy on here still pushing for Manning to get out on the field by December 1st. Multiple posters are telling you that all indications have been that this is an improbable scenario but its like you are in some kind of denial. Let me ask you this, how would you feel if Manning is cleared, goes out there, still isn't in football shape and falls flat on his face and the Colts go 0-16 anyway? Isn't that worse than going 0-16 without him? At least if we go 0-16 without him we can say, but we didn't have 18. Putting him in just to avoid 0-16 looks foolish and makes us more of a lauging stock for puttting our franchise player at risk in a meaningless game to try to avoid a winless season. All that from an organization that thumbed its nose at going undefeated. Talk about a contradiction in philosophy.

We don't need to see Peyton in a game until he is game ready not just cleared by the doctors. He most likely won't be game ready until next season God willing. For now, let's just hope he can get back on the practice field before the end of the season. The front office will be able to get whatever information they need from that setting to determine how best to handle Peyton's situation going forward.

Agreed with every word. Who cares if we go 0-16, everyone knows that it's because we lost Peyton for the season. And like you said, what if he comes back for one game and we still lose? That's even worse. It's worthless, no one will care about 0-16 when we draft Andrew Luck and restock our team and we return to respectability. Just let Peyton take his time and come back when he is 100% ready.

It would be absolutely *ic to send Manning out there for a meaningless game

and I have NO idea why everyone suddenly thinks Manning will be healed December 1st or even this season, remember they said AT BEST it is a 3 month recovery but can take a lot longer. Manning has said he is progressing but has no idea where he is in terms of playing again.

Also Bill Polian makes the decisions on this team, Manning is no exception. If Manning made the decisions then there would be no need for a head coach or a GM. If you really think Manning makes all the decisions, he wouldn't have sat out that 15th game in 2009.

We still wouldn't win. It might make the fans happy seeing him out there but we still wouldn't win.

I remember in 2006 Rich Gannon said something to this effect when asked if the Colts could make it to the superbowl on Mannings back.

Now that the No.1 draft choice is no longer an issue...

To me its obvious that if Manning is cleared on Dec.1

We send him out there in the home finale to win one.

I listened how we NEEDED to go 0-16 to get that No.1 choice.

That's not in play now. WE ARE NO. 1

...so for respectability...for pride....since our offense looks so offensively junior college

..and since our 'D' clearly hasnt quit...

I want Manning....if he's cleared to practice .... to play at least one game...so we see if he's Ok

..and so we wont go 0-16

Agreed.?

There is zero chance I would have Peyton play the game at jville, there is zero to be gained by it

That's my take..as guess I've said

Its respect..We dont want to be an 0-16 team..That lasts forever.

Manning risks his neck (figuratively and literally) whenever he comes back on the field.

We need to know BEFORE the draft if he can play...

.. Irsay and Polian and Caldwell and all the vets dont need the scarlet letter of playing on an 0-16 for the rest of their lives.

They dont deserve it..

Why is there such a big deal about 0-16? Bucs went 0 for like 24 before winning a game, hasn't hurt them. Lions went 0-16 just a few seasons ago...guess what they are still playing football in Detroit....

The Lions are still unfortunately stuck in those shadows, even after this great year they're having, I don't want to be overshadowed by this terrible year. Get the one win, and ppl will soon forget about it.

:edit: How are they in the shadows, how is it hurting them? They are now getting Monday night games, have a huge game on turkey day and so on. Yep they are really suffereing.....

Are you kidding me? The Lions 2008 team will always be remembered as a laughing stock because of the fact that they went 0-16. Teams that never won a game: the 76 Bucs and the 08 Lions. Most NFL fans know this. Teams that went 1-15: ?... There's a long list, the 91 Colts are one of them, but most NFL fans could not name all of them if even some of them.

Exactly "HOW" are those two teams hurting today?

I've said in the past that I don't want Manning to return because it risks a graver injury, but if the Colts offense keeps playing like this I want him to come back for at least one game, so we don't go winless.

If the Colts offense plays like this and you put him in, you're almost certain of another injury. Putting Peyton in with the team as it is right now would be a really unwise decision.

They don't need Peyton to play this season to know if he can play or not. They just need a series of long practices where he has to throw all throws maybe more than 50 for each practice. Throwing power, accuracy, stamina, and mechanics are all that's needing testing. His neck doesn't need a test in durability.

He wont be cleared to play this season anyway, he'll be cleared to practice though.

...so for respectability...for pride....since our offense looks so offensively junior college

I want Manning....if he's cleared to practice .... to play at least one game...so we see if he's Ok

..and so we wont go 0-16

Agreed.?

He is not even cleared to RUN yet, or lift weights. Manning is not playing this season.

They don't need Peyton to play this season to know if he can play or not. They just need a series of long practices where he has to throw all throws maybe more than 50 for each practice. Throwing power, accuracy, stamina, and mechanics are all that's needing testing. His neck doesn't need a test in durability.

He wont be cleared to play this season anyway, he'll be cleared to practice though.

What the team needs is for Manning to tell them his tri muscles are coming back (rebuilding) because his pecs and tri's were both atrophying prior to the last surgery. As far as I have read his pec muscles are "slowly" recovering. But there is no improvement in his triceps area. This is just not good.

It can take up to 3 years for a muscle to recover completely, if it ever does at all.

He is not even cleared to RUN yet, or lift weights. Manning is not playing this season.

Seriously I don't understand why people think Manning is all of a sudden returning. There has been no evidence whatsoever that he will be healed even by Dec. 1st.

This is pointless. Less than two weeks ago Manning still wasn't cleared to walk on a treadmill, and I've heard that he's currently under doctor's orders to not pick up his infant children. Short of a literal miracle, he won't be cleared by the end of the season. We might as well create a thread saying, "If Johnny Unitas rises from his grave, walks to Lucas Oil, and offers to play, should we?"

Johnny U wouldn't do it .....like everyone else in Baltimore he believed the Irsays are evil and like the fans in Baltimore was very bitter.

What the team needs is for Manning to tell them his tri muscles are coming back (rebuilding) because his pecs and tri's were both atrophying prior to the last surgery. As far as I have read his pec muscles are "slowly" recovering. But there is no improvement in his triceps area. This is just not good.

It can take up to 3 years for a muscle to recover completely, if it ever does at all.

I don't see how any of that could improve without training.

I don't see how any of that could improve without training.

Muscles need "energy" to function. Nerves are the "pipeline" to the muscle for supplying the energy. If a nerve gets "damaged" then the amount of energy supplied to the damaged muscle is restricted. When the muscle does not get proper "energy" it will deteriorate/atrophy. It is a serious issue...

Lifting weight can "damage" the injured nerve in the healing process. And this is how I heard Manning's last injury happened..... TRAINING too hard on his own, during he lockout.

..and so we wont go 0-16

Agreed.?

How about at the last game we play him at RB to see if he can still run. I'm sure Painter needs the the running option for someone to play better than Brown.. and if you remember, Peyton used his wheels to run in a few touchdowns before. We could use the running game, and get our first win at the last game of the season.

We've been through this before.... who cares about 0-16? It just proves what the smart fans knew. This team is garbage without PM.

I've said it for years and had to deal with people like Jim Irsay saying the team is full of pro bowlers and we'd be fine without him. Yea. Right.

i hate to say it, but this statement is true. We been saying this for years the colts maybe 2 games without peyton. so many holes on defences, we cant get the O the ball back, so many games lost because of this. Now people see why peyton manning has won mvp 4 times, im sure if we just havev a winning season he will win it again next yea after going 0-16 ranking last in every stat as possible besides 3 and outs.

Unc, you are pretty much the only guy on here still pushing for Manning to get out on the field by December 1st. Multiple posters are telling you that all indications have been that this is an improbable scenario but its like you are in some kind of denial. Let me ask you this, how would you feel if Manning is cleared, goes out there, still isn't in football shape and falls flat on his face and the Colts go 0-16 anyway? Isn't that worse than going 0-16 without him? At least if we go 0-16 without him we can say, but we didn't have 18. Putting him in just to avoid 0-16 looks foolish and makes us more of a lauging stock for puttting our franchise player at risk in a meaningless game to try to avoid a winless season. All that from an organization that thumbed its nose at going undefeated. Talk about a contradiction in philosophy.

We don't need to see Peyton in a game until he is game ready not just cleared by the doctors. He most likely won't be game ready until next season God willing. For now, let's just hope he can get back on the practice field before the end of the season. The front office will be able to get whatever information they need from that setting to determine how best to handle Peyton's situation going forward.

COLTSMAN

..while I certainly respect the vast medical knowledge and prediction accuracy of 'multiple posters'....

...I'm just going by what was said and what we need..

Its a 3-month recovery..

The next exam in the 1st week of December I'm assuming the 1st..maybe the 4th or 5th.

If you dont think its HIS CALL..I think you're all on fantasy island..

He works out two or 3 weeks to get some throwing strength..

......walks into the office and tells Caldwell he's ready.

Caldwell says: lets give it a try....we're 0-14...and I'm almost out the door .

He're comes Tennesee.. here comes Peyton...It just makes sense.

It is not logical to wait until after the draft to guess if your injured QB can go when you can put him on the field and see for yourself..

This is a business and 'the Master P' needs to see his asset...before that big paycheck comes due, too...

Polian said he'd do it and while you assume he's lying....and he may be

Why is Manning not on injured reserve if there's NO CHANCE he's going to be cleared to practice and if he practices..

Is Irsay going to overrule Polian. Caldwell and Manning and stop him from playing?

See?

Peyton is if he wants to.

I am assuming you are meaning that if Peyton is cleard and feels he can play then he will make the call, and if that is true then yes Bill Polian, Jim Caldwell and anyone else in Colts mag't who permits a player to determine when they play needs to be fired. At no time should a player EVER be allowed to determine for any reason when they play when it comes to injury.

I am assuming you are meaning that if Peyton is cleard and feels he can play then he will make the call, and if that is true then yes Bill Polian, Jim Caldwell and anyone else in Colts mag't who permits a player to determine when they play needs to be fired. At no time should a player EVER be allowed to determine for any reason when they play when it comes to injury.

Yeah, bur this is PEYTON.....And maybe if Caldwell allows it, this is our chance to get rid of Caldwell,..C'mon Caldwell, let Peyton tell you what to do, please....