Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coming to Indy

DanishColtsFan

Thank you for the welcome, Nadine, and thanks for passing along all of that information.

Prior to our home search this spring, the last time we were in town was a year ago this past November. My son & I took in the Colts/Dolphins game (his first Colts game, and my first view of LOS), and went to the zoo. It was very slow at that time of year, cool, and a little rainy, but they want to go back, and my son wants to race the Cheetah (he's very ambitious).

From what I understand, the Children's Museum also has a Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit this summer. We're looking forward to that, as both my children are from China, and my son barely remembers it. They're both teens now, but still want to see it.

Never been to Broad Ripple, or Mass Ave, or Conner Prairie, but there'll be plenty of time to check things out. With my work, I get little chance to take time off, so I'm hoping to take the week off after the move, and get around town with the family.

Thanks again.

You absolutely have to go to the Indiana State fair in August.  Go on an empty stomach.  There's all sorts of fun stuff there.  They've got exhibits showing a lot of historical memorobilia, there's rides (like you'd find at one of those travelling carnivals), and plenty of other fun things.  What part of Indiana are you moving to?

You absolutely have to go to the Indiana State fair in August.  Go on an empty stomach.  There's all sorts of fun stuff there.  They've got exhibits showing a lot of historical memorobilia, there's rides (like you'd find at one of those travelling carnivals), and plenty of other fun things.  What part of Indiana are you moving to?

Thanks OPC, I forgot all about the State Fair. We'll make a point of that also.

We'll be in Westfield.

Thanks again Nadine.

Oddly, I'm a Pirate fan also, so going to an Indian's game will be a must for me at some point. I hear it's a really nice place to catch a game also.

We'll have to check out Broad Ripple. Maybe take my son for a swim.   :)

Yes, the market has become quite competitive.

Got to the point where we'd drive down every Saturday morning (leave around 5am), see whatever new homes got on the market, then drove back (Far NW Chicagoland) that evening. My son got tired of the drive. My daughter thinks any/every trip is an adventure.

The home we bought went on the market late the previous day, and we paid the asking price. Very satisfied though.

I bought a house last year........before the market got this hot.  We downsized a bit. It took 6 months to sell our previous house.......and then another six to find another......

We were lucky to find a 6 month lease and that we didn't have to extend the lease...when I found this house I wrote the offer in the street........bought it the day it was listed.

I am glad that particular part of my life is in the past.  Moving twice in one year.....living in a house on the market......having your stuff all over the place blech!  It would have been much more stressful with kids so Props to you for still sounding sane.

Hi there guys.

I'm a 21 year old male fan from Denmark. My brother and I will be going to Indy for the home game against New England. It will be my first trip to Indianapolis and first Colts game at stadium. I've been following the Colts since 2007, so I'm very much looking forward to watching a game at Lucas Oil, especially against the Patriots.

As it's my first time in Indianapolis, I was wondering which restaurants and places we should visit while being there.

Also as it's my first game at Lucas Oil, I was hoping to get some tips and info on how the tailgating works :) We don't have anything like that in Denmark.

Best Regards Danish Colts Fan

I live in Dayton, OH, so I am also a visitor to Indy when we go to games, so let me give you some advice from the things I learned.

1. Idk if you booked a hotel yet, but the Marriott downtown is awesome. It has a skywalk that is connected to the mall, the movie theater, Colts Grill and LOS. Good parking too. It makes game day so nice cuz you can walk to the hotel through the skywalk when it's over and don't have to pay for parking or deal with traffic.

2. Couple places to eat. 1. Colts Grill, get the Colt Burger. So damn good. Bazbeau (sp?) Pizza. Get their bacon mushroom pizza.

3. For Colts merch, there's a store in the mall, plus the local Meijers have merch too.

4. There's lots of places to eat downtown. Just about everything u need.

I hope you have fun! Maybe we'll see you there, I'm thinking about going to that game too.

I will also be making my way from Denmark to Indy around that time, and my plan is to stick around to watch the three games in weeks 11,12 and 13. So this thread is very helpful for me also.

I could really use some advice on the best way to secure tickets to games, but also how to best stream games online as i will be traveling around in the States for two months from start October to December. Here in Europe we´ve got the Gamepass, but i guess it only work outside of the states, so what should i do?

Thank you for your time.

GO COLTS!

If you are visiting Indianapolis, and only really intend to enjoy the downtown scene, it is really one of the most pedestrian friendly cities in the U.S.. I would probably counsel against renting a car (again, only if the focus is to stay downtown). Just cab in from the airport and back, and the rest can easily be shoe leather.

People have given all kinds of great suggestions for specific venues, but perhaps a more general lay of the land might be useful to a first time visitor...

So "downtown", by my definition, is a roughly ten square block area, mostly bounded by North, South, East and West Streets, where most streets are layed out in a grid and have U.S. State names. Meridian is the north/south bisector, and the city center (intersection of Meridian and Market Street) is "the Circle".

About 2 square blocks away from the circle in each direction, 4 streets radiate out on 45 degrees. The NW street (Indiana Ave.) takes you to a large medical complex and the burgeoning campus of Indiana University/Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI, called ooweepoowee by many locals).

The NE angled street (Mass Ave) offers an array of good restaurants, bars, boutique shopping, art galleries, etc. (pretty diverse, but generally more suited to the 30-50 year old, mostly professional crowd).

To the SW (Kentucky Ave) gets more industrial, but that is the general direction you'll head for Lucas Oil Stadium.

The SW angled street (Virginia Ave.) is a rapidly changing and developing area, mostly known for a grungier, artsy scene, but is rapidly filling with intriguing new food and drink experiences.

South on Meridian Street (or within spitting distance of it) from the Circle there is a wide array of stuff (from family restaurants like the Spaghetti Factory to the ubiquitous Hooters). But if you are looking to go "clubbing" in the downtown area... This might be a good place to start.

If you are visiting longer, or you just want to get out of downtown a little, Broad Ripple is a short cab ride north, and is a great little bar/restaurant rich area to visit (especially for the younger, mid to late 20's types who want to bar hop into the wee hours... or suffice it to say I have reached the point where I feel like the creepy old dude hanging out there past 10p or so)

We haven't bought them yet, but we will buy them from stubhub I think

I'm really jealous of you :)

It's also weird cause my friend with whom i'm planning a visit to usa sometime in the future is a packers fan.. so we will probably follow your path :)

How did you get the tickets to the pats game?

You guys should check out VividSeats first they were more reasonable when I compared them with Stubhub. I'm going to the pats game as well and was able to buy a front row seat in the upper level for under $180, plus I saw plenty of good seats for under a $100 (i'm just short so I wanted to make sure I'd see the game and not someone's back or back of their head haha). Best of wishes hope you both make to Indy, I'm so excited for my 1st visit to LOS this yr Nov 16 can't come soon enough haha (I can't wait to cheer on the Colts with the home crowd).

Coming from NY area with friend on 9/28-I'm Colts fan since early 70's, and he's Oilerfan since Whiteshoes Johnson days.U get tickets for which section? I got tickets from VIVID and looked at ticket liquidator, ebay, stub hub, nfl, etc and price wise with fees was more managable. 

You guys should check out VividSeats first they were more reasonable when I compared them with Stubhub. I'm going to the pats game as well and was able to buy a front row seat in the upper level for under $180, plus I saw plenty of good seats for under a $100 (i'm just short so I wanted to make sure I'd see the game and not someone's back or back of their head haha). Best of wishes hope you both make to Indy, I'm so excited for my 1st visit to LOS this yr Nov 16 can't come soon enough haha (I can't wait to cheer on the Colts with the home crowd).

I agree about being able to see.  I was in the endzone once......very close.  I was excited for when the ball was on my end.......but, when it got there all the giant men in front of me stood up.

So, I had to watch the jumbotron

I will also be making my way from Denmark to Indy around that time, and my plan is to stick around to watch the three games in weeks 11,12 and 13. So this thread is very helpful for me also.

I could really use some advice on the best way to secure tickets to games, but also how to best stream games online as i will be traveling around in the States for two months from start October to December. Here in Europe we´ve got the Gamepass, but i guess it only work outside of the states, so what should i do?

Thank you for your time.

GO COLTS!

We cannot talk about streaming here. Illegal......so sorry.

For watching the games while traveling......just look for a sports bar.

I agree about being able to see.  I was in the endzone once......very close.  I was excited for when the ball was on my end.......but, when it got there all the giant men in front of me stood up.

So, I had to watch the jumbotron

Yea ppl think those are great seats until their seating in them haha...I would love to sit that close but like u said ur just watching the jumbotron because you can't see the whole field...Altho I will say playing madden video games helped point out the importance of seeing the whole field in a football game haha

Yea ppl think those are great seats until their seating in them haha...I would love to sit that close but like u said ur just watching the jumbotron because you can't see the whole field...Altho I will say playing madden video games helped point out the importance of seeing the whole field in a football game haha

I think it depends on whether you are more interested in seeing players close up, or have view on how plays unfold. I prefer my seats in the 400 level so I can watch plays, not players... but that is just my preference.

I agree with Yatz as a VERY affordable tasty cajun food place where they make the food in large batches at the start of the day and sell them until the pots are empty.  I also love going to the Claddagh Irish Pub and getting their GIGANTIC fish and chips, the best I have ever had in the USA other than Hawaii.   (I've travelled to all the US States and appx 30 other countries).  

If you are here in August, definitely go to the Indiana State Fair which will give you an amazing midwestern USA experience.  For the Patriots game, the media and VIP's usually fill up St. Elmos very quickly so you better plan ahead and if reservations are not available, be ready to wait.  If you DO go there, the Shrimp Cocktail is world famous.  

Enjoy to all those coming to Indy.  You'll likely get a warm welcome.  

Brian

Thanks OPC, I forgot all about the State Fair. We'll make a point of that also.

We'll be in Westfield.

Pretty good school system.  If both sides of the family didn't live on the west and south side of Indianapolis, I would have looked there myself since I have a daughter on the way.  And you're close to Carmel, IN, where there's plenty of good restaurants and shopping.

Pretty good school system.  If both sides of the family didn't live on the west and south side of Indianapolis, I would have looked there myself since I have a daughter on the way.  And you're close to Carmel, IN, where there's plenty of good restaurants and shopping.

Yeah, my daughter is special needs, and all references we got pointed to the Westfield School system.

It's a little out of the way (which I like), yet still pretty close to towns, such as Carmel, with plenty going on (which we all like).

Oh, and congratulations on the pending family addition. That'll keep you hopping.

We cannot talk about streaming here. Illegal......so sorry.

For watching the games while traveling......just look for a sports bar.

Oh sorry, i was not trying to talk about illegal streaming. Are there no legal streaming services similar to the game pass?

Oh sorry, i was not trying to talk about illegal streaming. Are there no legal streaming services similar to the game pass?

not here

Any legal streaming is via NFL.com

We don't get the game pass here :(

I know you were not trying to talk about Illegal streaming, just wanted to give you a heads up.