Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CBFL full round 1 mock surprise

We don't have a roufall out of the top 10nd 1 pick, and I'll be on a plane anyway. since I already entered the contest, I decided to do a full round 1 mock, with my disdain for this year QB crop, and their fall out of the top 10 picks.  Tear it up!  :)

My complete round 1 mock - the mighty fall of the 2014 QB

1. Texans- Jadeveon Clowney DE
No trade suitable partner found, have to roll wBPA

2. Rams- Greg Robinson OT
No WR here

3.Jaguars- Sammy Watkins
Safe pick after last two blown 1st rounders

4. Browns- Mike Evans WR
not able to trade with Atlanta, they stretch for their guy

5. Raiders- Jake Matthews T
They almost blew it again by taking Bridgewater, but didn't

6. Falcons- Khalil Mack OLB
Not just a 3-4 backer, ha can 4-3 and put hand in dirt as necessary

7.Bucs- Aaron Donald DT
Bucs need powerful, disruptive undertackle

8. Vikings- Justin Gilbert CB
Vikes realize they'll get a QB at #40, none worth #8

9. Bills- Taylor Lewan OT
Still being there, he forced their hand, no choice

10. Lions- Eric Ebron TE
Could use a corner but more yardage choices for Stafford

11. Titans- Darqueze Dennard CB
Titans need CB and pass rusher. Dnnard fits

12. Giants- C.J. Mosley ILB
Hard hitting LB to shore up the run D

13. Rams- Zack Martin OT -C -G
Giants pass is Rams gain.  May bargain with miami for this guy.

14. Bears- Calvin Pryor FS
secondary building begins here and now

15. Steelers- Kyle Fuller
Focus on the D, Cb mainly here.

16. Cowboys- Johnny Manziel QB
The 1st QB off, and it is to Jurahh!

17. Ravens- Jimmie Ward S
Smaller, like Elam, but Ebron was off the board.

18. Jets- Marqise Lee WR
Need Oline, but they need WR weapon too.  Lee fits.

19. Dolphins- Cyrus Kouandjio OT
Fixing the ramifications of adult bullying

20. Cardinals- Blake Bortels QB
Arians just can't pass up taking Palmers near future replacement now.

21. Packers- Ryan Shazier OLB

22. Eagles- Odell Beckham WR

23. Chiefs- Stephon Tuitt

24. Bengals- Bradley Roby

25.Chargers- Jason Verrett

26. Browns- Teddy Bridgewater QB
  (makes our resident Browns poster happy)

27. Saints- Antonio Richardson OT

28. Panthers- Brandin Cooks WR

29- Patriots- Luis Nix  DT (bummer)

30. 49er's- Jordan Matthews WR

31. Broncos- Scott Crichton DE

32. Seahawks- Kelvin Benjamin WR

Let's see if my gut is close to being right...

Not in the draft. Also if you're just giving the Cowboys the dumbest pick possible because "Jurrah" you're doing it wrong.

If Johnny fell to the Cowboys, I would bet that more likely than not Jerry scoops him up in a heartbeat.  I don't believe Johnny is going to fall out of the top 10, probably not even the top 5.  But going off of this mock, if picks 1-15 happen, I see Johnny being taken by the Cowboys.  Personally, I don't think the draft plays out at all like this, starting with the first pick.

Kuoandjio, Tuitt, Mosely, Richardson and Benjamin are huge reaches.

>mfw no Clinton-Dix

It makes no sense for the Cowboys to take Manziel.

The draft is always a surprise to me, so I went out of the box to my gut and not my brains, and came up with this.  I could easily go 0 for 32, for sure.  OTOH...  who knows what the crazy side would bring.

The draft is always a surprise to me, so I went out of the box to my gut and not my brains, and came up with this. I could easily go 0 for 32, for sure. OTOH... who knows what the crazy side would bring.

Did you leave Clinton-Dix out on purpose? That was the oddest thing to me. I thought it was a mistake.

If Donald is there, I think Lovie will take him and move McCoy to NT. Not unlike what the Bucs did in 1999 with Booger McFarland and Warren Sapp.

That would be a mistake. They'd be better off 1-gapping both of them than moving McCoy, IMO. 

Why move the best pass rushing DT in the NFL to 1-tech in favor of a rookie who will probably never be as good as McCoy is now?

That would be a mistake. They'd be better off 1-gapping both of them than moving McCoy, IMO. 

Because, Aaron Donald has the first-step quickness, athleticism and motor to emerge as a havoc-wreaking three-technique in a fast-flowing 4 - 3 D scheme. You take him and use him.  But that is my opinion.

Because, Aaron Donald has the first-step quickness, athleticism and motor to emerge as a havoc-wreaking three-technique in a fast-flowing 4 - 3 D scheme. You take him and use him.  But that is my opinion.

I agree with the "you take him and use him" line. I am a huge Aaron Donald fan, and I think the Bucs could figure out how to use him alongside McCoy (although I think they would do better going in another direction, given the state of their roster).

What I disagree with is moving McCoy to accommodate Donald. You don't make your best player -- and one of the best in the league at his position -- switch positions. If we drafted Khalil Mack or Jadeveon Clowney, we wouldn't move Mathis to Sam backer.

I agree with the "you take him and use him" line. I am a huge Aaron Donald fan, and I think the Bucs could figure out how to use him alongside McCoy (although I think they would do better going in another direction, given the state of their roster).

What I disagree with is moving McCoy to accommodate Donald. You don't make your best player -- and one of the best in the league at his position -- switch positions. If we drafted Khalil Mack or Jadeveon Clowney, we wouldn't move Mathis to Sam backer.

Donald, I don't feel, has the size/tools to play anywhere else in the Bucs scheme.  They should just pass on him.  Especially because it would disrupt McCoy who is adamant about not moving position.  Playing Donald anywhere else will disrupt his development.  He's not a two-gap player. He might have some tweener traits, but lacks ideal length and bend to play outside. It's time he to goes to another Tampa 2 team...

Donald, I don't feel, has the size/tools to play anywhere else in the Bucs scheme.  They should just pass on him.  Especially because it would disrupt McCoy who is adamant about not moving position.  Playing Donald anywhere else will disrupt his development.  Time to go to another Tampa 2 team...

If you have good linebackers, I think you can get along well with two undertackles playing together. And Donald could actually play end on early downs if they really wanted to get creative. But conventional wisdom suggests that the Bucs would be shoehorning two good players into a less than ideal situation. They'd be better off trading back and taking a WR or G later in the first. They could also take a QB, since they're talking about trading Glennon.

If I HAD to mock a Bucs pick at #7, based on your board, it would be Taylor Lewan. Let him compete at G/RT this year, and then maybe move him to LT next year. But if I was to really nitpick your mock, I think the Jags would take Mack, and the trickle-down effect would wind up with Mike Evans going to the Bucs.

If you have good linebackers, I think you can get along well with two undertackles playing together. And Donald could actually play end on early downs if they really wanted to get creative. But conventional wisdom suggests that the Bucs would be shoehorning two good players into a less than ideal situation. They'd be better off trading back and taking a WR or G later in the first. They could also take a QB, since they're talking about trading Glennon.

QB is bad move @7, IMO.  None are that much better than Glennon.

If I HAD to mock a Bucs pick at #7, based on your board, it would be Taylor Lewan. Let him compete at G/RT this year, and then maybe move him to LT next year. But if I was to really nitpick your mock, I think the Jags would take Mack, and the trickle-down effect would wind up with Mike Evans going to the Bucs.

Jags need Blackmon replacement, and a QB in early second.  Otherwise I would have went conventional wisdom of Mack to Jags and Evans to Bucs. Both picks to Jags are the near sure fire safe pick they desperately need this time.  Let's see how it plays out though.

I'll check out Mayock's list, thanks for the link.

Jags need Blackmon replacement, and a QB in early second.  Otherwise I would have went conventional wisdom of Mack to Jags and Evans to Bucs. Both picks to Jags are the near sure fire safe pick they desperately need this time.  Let's see how it plays out though.

I'll check out Mayock's list, thanks for the link.

QB at #7 is unlikely for the Bucs. I was talking about a trade back.

The Jags do need a Blackmon replacement, but more than that, they need someone to throw him the ball. Until they do that, adding a receiver is pointless. It does nothing for your W/L record. Mack would represent a significant defensive upgrade, which Gus Bradley would love. Still need a QB, but no one makes sense at #3, and trading back isn't an option for the Jags. They are too talent-deficient to pass on the talent that will be there at #3.

QB at #7 is unlikely for the Bucs. I was talking about a trade back.

The Jags do need a Blackmon replacement, but more than that, they need someone to throw him the ball. Until they do that, adding a receiver is pointless. It does nothing for your W/L record. Mack would represent a significant defensive upgrade, which Gus Bradley would love. Still need a QB, but no one makes sense at #3, and trading back isn't an option for the Jags. They are too talent-deficient to pass on the talent that will be there at #3.

well, Texans and Jags are going to take QB's off the board right away in round two.  If you feel one of- Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, or A.J. McCarron or the next tier QB's (Savage, Thomas, Mettenberger,Boyd), can sling it well enough, Sammy Watkins can get the separation necessary that they don't have to fit it in tight windows. I know they want a Seahawk type D, but they need some O or they will still lose every game, like 6 - 3.  ;)  That's why I'm trying to get their O off to a better direction.

well, Texans and Jags are going to take QB's off the board right away in round two.  If you feel one of- Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, or A.J. McCarron or the next tier QB's (Savage, Thomas, Mettenberger,Boyd), can sling it well enough, Sammy Watkins can get the separation necessary that they don't have to fit it in tight windows. I know they want a Seahawk type D, but they need some O or they will still lose every game, like 6 - 3.  ;)  That's why I'm trying to get their O off to a better direction.

Trade their third rounder for Mike Glennon. Take Jordan Matthews or Allen Robinson in the second round. There are a few different ways to do this for the Jags. I just don't think taking a WR at #3 is a good idea for them, because they'll still lose games 6-3 without a QB. And as good as Watkins and Evans are, the second and third tier WRs in this draft will be really good pros as well. Especially if they're catching the ball from a competent QB.

And I feel just as good about Derek Carr as I feel about any other QB in this draft. Garoppolo is a step lower, and McCarron is another step lower, but I'd rather take Carr at the top of the second than Manziel in the first. JMO.

We don't have a roufall out of the top 10nd 1 pick, and I'll be on a plane anyway. since I already entered the contest, I decided to do a full round 1 mock, with my disdain for this year QB crop, and their fall out of the top 10 picks.  Tear it up!  :)

My complete round 1 mock - the mighty fall of the 2014 QB

1. Texans- Jadeveon Clowney DE

No trade suitable partner found, have to roll wBPA

2. Rams- Greg Robinson OT

No WR here

3.Jaguars- Sammy Watkins

Safe pick after last two blown 1st rounders

4. Browns- Mike Evans WR

not able to trade with Atlanta, they stretch for their guy

5. Raiders- Jake Matthews T

They almost blew it again by taking Bridgewater, but didn't

6. Falcons- Khalil Mack OLB

Not just a 3-4 backer, ha can 4-3 and put hand in dirt as necessary

7.Bucs- Aaron Donald DT

Bucs need powerful, disruptive undertackle

8. Vikings- Justin Gilbert CB

Vikes realize they'll get a QB at #40, none worth #8

9. Bills- Taylor Lewan OT

Still being there, he forced their hand, no choice

10. Lions- Eric Ebron TE

Could use a corner but more yardage choices for Stafford

11. Titans- Darqueze Dennard CB

Titans need CB and pass rusher. Dnnard fits

12. Giants- C.J. Mosley ILB

Hard hitting LB to shore up the run D

13. Rams- Zack Martin OT -C -G

Giants pass is Rams gain.  May bargain with miami for this guy.

14. Bears- Calvin Pryor FS

secondary building begins here and now

15. Steelers- Kyle Fuller

Focus on the D, Cb mainly here.

16. Cowboys- Johnny Manziel QB

The 1st QB off, and it is to Jurahh!

17. Ravens- Jimmie Ward S

Smaller, like Elam, but Ebron was off the board.

18. Jets- Marqise Lee WR

Need Oline, but they need WR weapon too.  Lee fits.

19. Dolphins- Cyrus Kouandjio OT

Fixing the ramifications of adult bullying

20. Cardinals- Blake Bortels QB

Arians just can't pass up taking Palmers near future replacement now.

21. Packers- Ryan Shazier OLB

22. Eagles- Odell Beckham WR

23. Chiefs- Stephon Tuitt

24. Bengals- Bradley Roby

25.Chargers- Jason Verrett

26. Browns- Teddy Bridgewater QB

(makes our resident Browns poster happy)

27. Saints- Antonio Richardson OT

28. Panthers- Brandin Cooks WR

29- Patriots- Luis Nix  DT (bummer)

30. 49er's- Jordan Matthews WR

31. Broncos- Scott Crichton DE

32. Seahawks- Kelvin Benjamin WR

Let's see if my gut is close to being right...

Kelvin Benjamin WR projected to be a late second,scott crichton i nver herd of him,jimmy ward is a early second 

Kelvin Benjamin WR projected to be a late second,scott crichton i nver herd of him,jimmy ward is a early second 

Scott Crichton is a very good player. Verstaile too. I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought he is a first rounder. I just don't like him going to Denver. They already have Ware, Wolfe, and Miller.

Kuoandjio, Tuitt, Mosely, Richardson and Benjamin are huge reaches.

>mfw no Clinton-Dix

It makes no sense for the Cowboys to take Manziel.

I was hearing this on the radio and it makes no sense to me either.  Romo isn't the problem there, they signed him to a huge deal last year and he's locked up for the next couple of years.  It would be a foolish pick if you ask me.

I was hearing this on the radio and it makes no sense to me either.  Romo isn't the problem there, they signed him to a huge deal last year and he's locked up for the next couple of years.  It would be a foolish pick if you ask me.

Once again, Jerry Jones is synonymous with foolish...

I found that out when I was cleaning his glasses during the game   :spit:

jerrylol_medium.gif

That's the thing about the draft, rankings are all over the map.  Mike Mayock has Benjamin ranked #26 in his top 100.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2000000346744/article/2014-nfl-draft-mike-mayocks-top-100-prospects

Frank Cooney projects Seahawks as best fit, and has reports over time that get better and better. He won't be there at #64.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119459&draftyear=2016&genpos=WR

So I have reasons for my selections too, and I use Dan Shonka at ourlads and couple others a lot as well.  I don't use Kiper, McShay, nor more typical media outlets that much. While I watch college football, I don't trust my eye test or my evaluation skills that transfer to the NFL game.

Ward, his rank is all over.  But teams do weird things, sometimes works too.  Like taking Edge James over Ricky Williams.  :D

My goal, was to be a little bold, but within reason here.  But trades are going to blow this up.  So I just want to see how many of my guys do make it into round 1.  Not so much that I correctly matched them to the right team. :)  But I'll check that too.

Which fits Jones style...  If it happens, it's all on Jerry.

Once again, Jerry Jones is synonymous with foolish...

I found that out when I was cleaning his glasses during the game   :spit:

jerrylol_medium.gif

lol Hey, if he paid me enough and let me sit in the owner's suite, I'd clean his glasses too.  I think he's an *, and you know what they say about a fool and his money!

See Donald Sterling.....OK...bad form...wrong thread :)

Man that whole thing is just crazy...I still thing it goes too far to basically take the guy's team away from him for what he did.  Yeah, he deserves to be punished for it, but I don't think anyone would support the notion that the biggest chunk of their assets should be taken away if they said something highly offensive.  People would be singing a different tune if it were them.

Ahhh, he was listening to Aikman!

In January, Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman said he thought it would be a good idea for his former team to start looking for Romo’s eventual successor. Aikman, an NFL boradcaster for FOX, wasn’t suggesting a replacement for Romo, just someone to groom over the next couple seasons.

“Because of Tony’s age, they certainly have to start addressing who the guy is going to be that comes in after him,” Aikman said.

But I'm sure Aikman means 2nd or 3rd round, not @ #16. :)

Romo is coming off back surgery too, so future durability (not ability, lol) is still in question.

Ahhh, he was listening to Aikman!

In January, Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman said he thought it would be a good idea for his former team to start looking for Romo’s eventual successor. Aikman, an NFL boradcaster for FOX, wasn’t suggesting a replacement for Romo, just someone to groom over the next couple seasons.

“Because of Tony’s age, they certainly have to start addressing who the guy is going to be that comes in after him,” Aikman said.

But I'm sure Aikman means 2nd or 3rd round, not @ #16. :)

Romo is coming off back surgery too, so future durability (not ability, lol) is still in question.

No it wasn't Aikman, I turned it on and they were talking about someone's mock draft.  It wasn't some joe-shmo, it sounded like they knew who he was, I just didn't catch the name.  Anyway, whoever's mock they were talking about had the Cowboys taking Manziel at 16.  And I get the whole groom him as a replacement for Romo in a couple of years.  I'm good with that, but ti's just not something that the Cowboys are in a place to do.  To me, you do that kinda thing when you're franchise QB is getting toward the end of his career a la Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers.  And that made a lot of sense then too because Rodgers was a top 10 (some had him top 5) pick, Favre was getting near the end of his career, and GB they were drafting toward the end of the first.  So they got him at a heck of a bargain.  Manziel to the Cowboys would make more sense if Romo was 35 years old.