Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CBFL full round 1 mock surprise

No it wasn't Aikman, I turned it on and they were talking about someone's mock draft.  It wasn't some joe-shmo, it sounded like they knew who he was, I just didn't catch the name.  Anyway, whoever's mock they were talking about had the Cowboys taking Manziel at 16.  And I get the whole groom him as a replacement for Romo in a couple of years.  I'm good with that, but ti's just not something that the Cowboys are in a place to do.  To me, you do that kinda thing when you're franchise QB is getting toward the end of his career a la Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers.  And that made a lot of sense then too because Rodgers was a top 10 (some had him top 5) pick, Favre was getting near the end of his career, and GB they were drafting toward the end of the first.  So they got him at a heck of a bargain.  Manziel to the Cowboys would make more sense if Romo was 35 years old.

“Because of Tony’s age, they certainly have to start addressing who the guy is going to be that comes in after him,”

I didn't make it clear, the quoted sentence above in my post is directly from Troy Aikman!  But Aikman means round 3 or so, not 1 !!  LOL

As far as mocks with Manziel to Dallas, I had that (but I'm a nobody, sorry Nobody!), then found out Mike Mayock has that.  Now I hear Todd McShay's latest has that as well !  I'm starting to see smoke in the distance.

“Because of Tony’s age, they certainly have to start addressing who the guy is going to be that comes in after him,”

Sorry, wasn't picking up on what you said. And if they took manziel, they'd be getting a groomable prospect I suppose, I just think they should be drafting pieces to help them win now, and johnny doesn't further that objective.

I didn't make it clear, the quoted sentence above in my post is directly from Troy Aikman! But Aikman means round 3 or so, not 1 !! LOL

As far as mocks with Manziel to Dallas, I had that (but I'm a nobody, sorry Nobody!), then found out Mike Mayock has that. Now I hear Todd McShay's latest has that as well ! I'm starting to see smoke in the distance.

I didn't make it clear, the quoted sentence above in my post is directly from Troy Aikman! But Aikman means round 3 or so, not 1 !! LOL

As far as mocks with Manziel to Dallas, I had that (but I'm a nobody, sorry Nobody!), then found out Mike Mayock has that. Now I hear Todd McShay's latest has that as well ! I'm starting to see smoke in the distance.

Sorry, wasn't picking up on what you said. And if they took manziel, they'd be getting a groomable prospect I suppose, I just think they should be drafting pieces to help them win now, and johnny doesn't further that objective.

I think most sane folks feel similar.  Maybe get pieces early, snag Mettenberg in 3 or 4th (he's falling fast with the diluted test at the combine, & because of other previous issues) and hope he matures in the grooming process.  On talent alone, he is round 1 material.  It's all the other things bringing dude down.

I didn't make it clear, the quoted sentence above in my post is directly from Troy Aikman!  But Aikman means round 3 or so, not 1 !!  LOL

As far as mocks with Manziel to Dallas, I had that (but I'm a nobody, sorry Nobody!), then found out Mike Mayock has that.  Now I hear Todd McShay's latest has that as well !  I'm starting to see smoke in the distance.

Maybe Romo can get the hell out of dallas and finally play for a real coach. He gets a really bad rap in my opinion after the Tuna he has played for pop warner coaches Jason Garrett c'mon

I think most sane folks feel similar.  Maybe get pieces early, snag Mettenberg in 3 or 4th (he's falling fast with the diluted test at the combine, & because of other previous issues) and hope he matures in the grooming process.  On talent alone, he is round 1 material.  It's all the other things bringing dude down.

I like Mettenberg too.  I think diluted tests are overrated, but they treat them as positives.  To me, these guys are training day in and day out, especially for the combine.  So of course they'd be drinking a bunch of water. 

I like Mettenberg too.  I think diluted tests are overrated, but they treat them as positives.  To me, these guys are training day in and day out, especially for the combine.  So of course they'd be drinking a bunch of water. 

Those tests are one thing, here's some more-

A. Several NFL teams have medically flagged LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger over a back condition called spondylolysis

B. Details have finally come to light in the incident that led Georgia to dismiss quarterback Zach Mettenberger. The freshman pleaded guilty to sexual battery after an incident at a bar in southern Georgia during spring break.

C. Mettenberger also is coming off a torn ACL

Teams are serious about complete makeup of a kid, not just his talent.  Mettenbergers talent is unquestionable. The rest is... heavily.

I believe they give a wide tolerance for a diluted sample, like ten times the normal amount. I remember this being a concern with a big name prospect last year.

Hope it turns out something like that leaves a lot of good players on Day 2. There is no way SJB goes in the firs to Seattle they don't value big CB/S that much.  A lot of QB's go. This looks good for us.

The Seahawks don't value big corners/safeties??? I don't see SJB as a first round prospect, probably more like a late second / early third, but I don't see how Seattle isn't a good projection for him.

I hope every QB goes before #59. Mettenberger, Garappolo, McCarron, etc. Take some RBs and WRs, too. Might push Jimmie Ward or Terrence Brooks down to us.

Those tests are one thing, here's some more-

A. Several NFL teams have medically flagged LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger over a back condition called spondylolysis

B. Details have finally come to light in the incident that led Georgia to dismiss quarterback Zach Mettenberger. The freshman pleaded guilty to sexual battery after an incident at a bar in southern Georgia during spring break.

C. Mettenberger also is coming off a torn ACL

Teams are serious about complete makeup of a kid, not just his talent.  Mettenbergers talent is unquestionable. The rest is... heavily.

I've followed the QBs just a little bit, but I haven't invested very much time in it because we're not in the market for one.  That being said, I had no idea about the sexual battery incident (or alleged, which is almost as bad).  The medical condition I thought I remember seeing it was in such an area of the back where it wasn't quite as bad.  So while it's a red flag, he should be able to have a successful career with it.  But correct me if I'm wrong there.  Finally, ACLs with QBs aren't that big of a concern where the prospect doesn't rely on his legs like guys such as Wilson or RGIII.  I'm not saying it's negligible, I mean, heck.  Carson Palmer was never the same after his ACL tear.  But it shouldn't be something that deteriorates from his career.

The Seahawks don't value big corners/safeties??? I don't see SJB as a first round prospect, probably more like a late second / early third, but I don't see how Seattle isn't a good projection for him.

I hope every QB goes before #59. Mettenberger, Garappolo, McCarron, etc. Take some RBs and WRs, too. Might push Jimmie Ward or Terrence Brooks down to us.

Hope it turns out something like that leaves a lot of good players on Day 2. There is no way SJB goes in the firs to Seattle they don't value big CB/S that much.  A lot of QB's go. This looks good for us.

If you were to read more closely I said that much meaning I don't think they are taking a 2/3 round talent in the first simply based on size. I am pretty sure we have all seen SJB play being in Big Ten country.  All have our opinions I could live with him in a horseshoe in the later rounds but he has played CB one year and ran 4.6 40. He is project not a day one player in my opinion.

I think the Seahawks take Cody Latimer at 32 personally. They lost Tate now are counting on Baldwin who I really like hoped we'd make a run at him in FA yes I know he was a RFA and Harvin as their starting WR. They have Kearse too but I think it is Latimer for Seattle. They will be very pleased with the pick. SJB in the 2nd or 3rd maybe. Pete likes projects.

If you were to read more closely I said that much meaning I don't think they are taking a 2/3 round talent in the first simply based on size. I am pretty sure we have all seen SJB play being in Big Ten country. 

If you would have explained as thoroughly in your first post as you did the second time around then there would have been no confusion in the first place.  All we can go by on a message board is your written words and if you mean to emphasize a certain word or phrase then the onus is on YOU (the author) to make that clear in your written reply.  :)

If you were to read more closely I said that much meaning I don't think they are taking a 2/3 round talent in the first simply based on size. I am pretty sure we have all seen SJB play being in Big Ten country.  All have our opinions I could live with him in a horseshoe in the later rounds but he has played CB one year and ran 4.6 40. He is project not a day one player in my opinion.

I think the Seahawks take Cody Latimer at 32 personally. They lost Tate now are counting on Baldwin who I really like hoped we'd make a run at him in FA yes I know he was a RFA and Harvin as their starting WR. They have Kearse too but I think it is Latimer for Seattle. They will be very pleased with the pick. SJB in the 2nd or 3rd maybe. Pete likes projects.

Yeah, I didn't read it like that at all. You're saying they don't value big DBs so much that they'll reach for SJB. I agree.

Latimer is a wild card, I think. I doubt he goes in the first, but he could go anywhere from the top of the second to the end of the third, depending on trades and what other WRs go ahead of him. 

Yeah, I didn't read it like that at all. You're saying they don't value big DBs so much that they'll reach for SJB. I agree.

Latimer is a wild card, I think. I doubt he goes in the first, but he could go anywhere from the top of the second to the end of the third, depending on trades and what other WRs go ahead of him. 

I hear the Seahawks really like him an unfortunately we get pretty reliable Seahawk info in Alaska it is the team closest to us.

If you would have explained as thoroughly in your first post as you did the second time around then there would have been no confusion in the first place.  All we can go by on a message board is your written words and if you mean to emphasize a certain word or phrase then the onus is on YOU (the author) to make that clear in your written reply.   :)

I thought it was a pretty straight forward post. "There is no way SJB goes to Seattle in the first round they don't value big CB/S's that much" I am not sure how you would think I am saying they don't value big CB/S rather than SJB is not a first round talent from that post. The "that much" part" kind of gives it away.

I will certainly be more clear in the future so everyone can understand.