Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wednesday Draft Thoughts......

I think we have lots of needs.    S, CB, C or G, Edge Rusher, NT for starters.   And in a draft deep with WR's, I think Grigson will want one for the future.

Can't get them all with just a 2/3/5/6/7/

So.....

I think Grigson will try and trade back twice...   once from the 2nd round.   Once from the 3rd round.

And, I've now come around to think Grigson will trade a future pick for a pick this year.   That is, if he can find a team willing to do that deal?   I think Grigson offers a 2015 #2 for a 2014 #3.   And if that doesn't fly I think he offers a '15 #3 for a '14 #4.     I think Grigson will want all the picks he can get his hands on.    Especially in the middle rounds.

In a draft this deep, I just don't see Grigson ending the draft Saturday with just 5 draft choices.  He'll want more.   Perhaps a lot more.   He'll worry about 2015 next year.

I think we have lots of needs.    S, CB, C or G, Edge Rusher, NT for starters.   And in a draft deep with WR's, I think Grigson will want one for the future.

So.....

I think Grigson will try and trade back twice...   once from the 2nd round.   Once from the 3rd round.

And, I've now come around to think Grigson will trade a future pick for a pick this year.   That is, if he can find a team willing to do that deal?   I think Grigson offers a 2015 #2 for a 2014 #3.   And if that doesn't fly I think he offers a '15 #3 for a '14 #4.     I think Grigson will want all the picks he can get his hands on.    Especially in the middle rounds.

In a draft this deep, I just don't see Grigson ending the draft Saturday with just 5 draft choices.  He'll want more.   Perhaps a lot more.   He'll worry about 2015 next year.

It feels like an opportunistic draft....so I agree with your premise.  I don't agree that there is any artificial mandate to acquire more picks based on the "need" condition of our roster.  Grigson has shown us he values players not picks, and he's a shameless talent hound - so he'll do what is necessary to pursue his convictions about players in front of him.  

To that end, there is no way that he lets a talent he believes in go by the window at 59 or 90 for sake of adding a 4 or 5.  He is not unhappy with the condition of his roster or our free agency efforts would have looked a lot different.  He had plenty of money to fill needs.  If we were the Saints or the Panthers, and had our current draft scenario, there could be a real mandate to acquire picks, but there is nothing we need to solve that will be solved by another 4th and 5th rounder.

In that same spirit, he'll use a pick next year for a player this year if he values that player accordingly.  I agree with you that it will be hard for him to watch the fourth round go by without a pick - we'll either trade back and have 2 pokes at it or he'll trade next year's 3rd.

I think we should get a WR with one of our first two picks.  If Gabe Jackson isn't there at our #2, Guys like Moncrief, Jarvis Landry, Adams, and Jordan Mathiews may be too much to pas on.  I'm a trench first guy, but WR is definately the strength of this draft.

In the third it will be hard to pass on guys like Abbredderis.

I know we need safeties and pass rushers, but it seems like slim pickins at our spots. 

Well if Holmes is the starter in Grig's mind we don't really need a center that much.  

If Thorton is the starter in Grig's mind we don't really need a guard that much

If Chapman or Hughes is the starter in Grig's mind we don't really need a NT that much.

I don't think that Toler is a long term answer at CB.  So I agree that this is a need although it could wait.

I maintain that we need to wait on WR.  Is Nicks a guy we want to keep around?  Does Reggie decide to play for another year?  

We are not going to fill all of our needs, and I hope we don't force any picks in an attempt to try.

There are plenty of unsigned veteran free agents that would be serviceable under a one year contract if need be.

If there is a particularly interesting player that falls in the draft, I would hope that we would give him a look even if it is not a position of need.

I see Grigson trading his 2 for a 3 and a 4....

I see Grigson trading his 3 for a 4 and a 5....

I see Grigson trading his 2015 #2 for a '14 #3.....

That would give the Colts....

Two #3's....

Two #4's....

Two #5's....

One #6....

One #7....

We've turned 5 picks into 8 with six of them right in the heart of a deep draft. 

Yes, it's cost us our #2 next year...   but if the Colts are picking in the '15 draft roughly where we've been the last two years, then I could see Grigson trading down, probably out of the first round to get a 2 and a 3 and a 4 or 5.

Hypothetically, we could....

Take a safety and a corner in the 3rd...

Take an edge rusher and an OL in the 4th...

Take a WR and a NT in the 5th...

Take BPA in the 6th and 7th...

Just thinking out loud....   and getting more excited about the possibilities....

So.....

Please NO........  

Indy NEEDS a C/G and S ...    

Indianapolis only has "5" picks this year.   That is not a lot.      Take BPA at one of the 2 major NEED positions and then just go BPA.

Grigs has done enough "wheeling and dealing" in his short time to last him a long time.     Just DRAFT.  Indy has NO "move back equity"  in this draft.   IMO the picks are needed.   And they NEED to hit.

Please NO........  

Indy NEEDS a C/G and S ...    

Y'know, I'm starting to agree with you.  I listed CB as a 3rd NEED, which is why I was convinced of an impending trade.  However, the more I think of it, while I want more than Davis, Toler, Butler, and Gordy, it doesn't rise to the level of importance of the other two NEEDs.  We probably have done alright if we add another option in the late rounds...