• 0ap1000000222748.jpg
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png

• By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: March 9, 2014 at 02:26 p.m.
  • Updated: March 9, 2014 at 05:50 p.m.

Impending free agent Aqib Talib was reportedly seeking a "top-of-the-market" contract even beforeGreen Bay Packers cornerback Sam Shields set the market at $39 million over four years.

If the New England Patriots are reluctant to meet his asking price, Talib might have better luck landing a lucrative contract from the Washington Redskins.

The Redskins were among the teams that reached out to Talib on Saturday, reports John Keim of ESPN.com.

Washington's interest comes as no surprise. General manager Bruce Allen was in the front office when theBuccaneers drafted Talib, and defensive backs coachRaheem Morris was Tampa Bay's head coach for three years.

In fact, the Redskins had designs on signing Talib last offseason but couldn't afford him due to salary-cap woes.

After putting together one of the league's most porous secondaries last season, Allen is on the hunt for upgrades in free agency.

In addition to Talib, the Redskins contacted Carolina Panthers safety Mike Mitchell on Saturday. According to the Washington Post, the team remained in contact with Mitchell's camp several times throughout the day.

History tells us that Daniel Snyder is one of the NFL's most active owners in free agency. Now that his salary-cap is no longer tied up in penalties, the early signs suggest that will be the case again in the coming days.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" picks the biggest free agent bargains and plays the revolutionary game: "Get my lunch."

No surprise as the Skins wanted him last year but could not afford him. Word is Talib wants to stay in NE but of course money talks. I expect the Pats to let the market set his price. Given Cromartie from the Jets was just released the CB market is even bigger which should make it a buyers market. I am hoping this allows the Pats to sign Talib at a decent price. If not there are plenty of other CBs out there. I would not mind Cro on a 2 year deal if Talib falls through. Of course he has had hip issues too. :ticked:

No surprise as the Skins wanted him last year but could not afford him. Word is Talib wants to stay in NE but of course money talks. I expect the Pats to let the market set his price. Given Cromartie from the Jets was just released the CB market is even bigger which should make it a buyers market. I am hoping this allows the Pats to sign Talib at a decent price. If not there are plenty of other CBs out there. I would not mind Cro on a 2 year deal if Talib falls through. Of course he has had hip issues too. :ticked:

Dunno about the buyers market. Shields and Grimes gone. Davis is getting 9 mill at a minimum. Cromartie is getting up there in age and was terrible last year. Injured... yes but 30 years old and terrible ... have at that one. Verner is said to already have a deal , Denver is said to want to resign their guy. Add that to the fact that Wasghington covets Talib , the "buyers market " you speak of is nothing more than wishful thinking. Talib will get over 8 mill per year.

Dunno about the buyers market. Shields and Grimes gone. Davis is getting 9 mill at a minimum. Cromartie is getting up there in age and was terrible last year. Injured... yes but 30 years old and terrible ... have at that one. Verner is said to already have a deal , Denver is said to want to resign their guy. Add that to the fact that Wasghington covets Talib , the "buyers market " you speak of is nothing more than wishful thinking. Talib will get over 8 mill per year.

I had heard that Davis was iffy with the Colts. Is a contract imminent?  I think the Pats will get Talib done. He makes the most sense. Not sure about the $8 mil. He is not as good as the other corners and has the injury history and off-field stuff.

I had heard that Davis was iffy with the Colts. Is a contract imminent?  I think the Pats will get Talib done. He makes the most sense. Not sure about the $8 mil. He is not as good as the other corners and has the injury history and off-field stuff.

There's different reports out on the Colts and Davis. What I said is he's getting a minimum of 9 mill per year. It's been said the Colts offered 8 and that didn't get it done. I was just speaking on how there is not going to be any buyers market when it comes to the good CB's. I would think Talib is as good as the other guys , but he has been dinged up and there has been some off field stuff. But'll if Washington does have him in their sights , I'll stick with my 8mill as the minimum. I also agree that NE will be the favorite to sign him... even though they have a history of letting their best CB's walk. They just seemed to be too vulnerable without Talib.

There's different reports out on the Colts and Davis. What I said is he's getting a minimum of 9 mill per year. It's been said the Colts offered 8 and that didn't get it done. I was just speaking on how there is not going to be any buyers market when it comes to the good CB's. I would think Talib is as good as the other guys , but he has been dinged up and there has been some off field stuff. But'll if Washington does have him in their sights , I'll stick with my 8mill as the minimum. I also agree that NE will be the favorite to sign him... even though they have a history of letting their best CB's walk. They just seemed to be too vulnerable without Talib.

What do you think of Davis? I didn't watch a ton of him. Is he a top  corner? Is he worth the 9 in your opinion?  I hate the prospect of paying a ton for one position but you are right the Pats were a completely different defense without Talib. They managed fine without Wilfork which is why I think he gets cut or signs for significantly less. The question is will the spend that extra money on Talib.

What do you think of Davis? I didn't watch a ton of him. Is he a top  corner? Is he worth the 9 in your opinion?  I hate the prospect of paying a ton for one position but you are right the Pats were a completely different defense without Talib. They managed fine without Wilfork which is why I think he gets cut or signs for significantly less. The question is will the spend that extra money on Talib.

I thought Davis was spectacular in coverage other than a 3-4 game period where he actually was playing through some injury issues. Yeah.. I think he's worth what Shields got for sure ... and I guess he sets the market. Here's what Clayton thinks about the Talib situation. Roto also had a piece where they thought NE might be interested in the Tenn. CB.

ESPN's John Clayton's "early prediction" is the Redskins will sign free agent CB Aqib Talib.

It's growing clearer and clearer that the Skins are simply going to outbid the Patriots for Talib. That would allow New England to focus its efforts on re-signing Julian Edelman. Talib is likely staring at $10 million a year.
Related: Redskins

I thought Davis was spectacular in coverage other than a 3-4 game period where he actually was playing through some injury issues. Yeah.. I think he's worth what Shields got for sure ... and I guess he sets the market. Here's what Clayton thinks about the Talib situation. Roto also had a piece where they thought NE might be interested in the Tenn. CB.

ESPN's John Clayton's "early prediction" is the Redskins will sign free agent CB Aqib Talib.

It's growing clearer and clearer that the Skins are simply going to outbid the Patriots for Talib. That would allow New England to focus its efforts on re-signing Julian Edelman. Talib is likely staring at $10 million a year.
Related: Redskins

No way Pats pay $10 mil for Talib. Skins him have him at that price. They overpay for everyone anyways. We'll see on the years though. Who is the Tenn CB?

No way Pats pay $10 mil for Talib. Skins him have him at that price. They overpay for everyone anyways. We'll see on the years though. Who is the Tenn CB?

Here ya go...from roto world

Free agent CB Alterraun Verner believes the Patriots are "definitely a possibility."

Verner says he's been being lobbied by Patriots FS Devin McCourty. That's all good and well, but we doubt McCourty carries anything resembling clout in the Patriots' personnel decisions. Shelling out a lucrative, long-term deal to the market's top corner wouldn't be Bill Belichick's style. Regardless of whether the Pats are interested, Verner is going to have a robust market.
Related: Patriots

Here ya go...from roto world

Free agent CB Alterraun Verner believes the Patriots are "definitely a possibility."

Verner says he's been being lobbied by Patriots FS Devin McCourty. That's all good and well, but we doubt McCourty carries anything resembling clout in the Patriots' personnel decisions. Shelling out a lucrative, long-term deal to the market's top corner wouldn't be Bill Belichick's style. Regardless of whether the Pats are interested, Verner is going to have a robust market.
Related: Patriots

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

Talib is actually the one that recruited Blount. Bill said that when he was asked about why the Pats signed Blount so I can see McCourty having some pull with Bill for sure. But still the price has to be right. Contrary to public perception, the Pats do pay for top talent, i.e. Brady, Mayo, Wilfork, Gronk, Hernandez, etc., but they generally do so when the players are young. I think with Talib they are leery of his injuries. I think the worst thing that could have happened to him was getting taking out of the AFCCG by Welker. I know that make me sour on him somewhat given he had no structural damage to his knee or rib and never tried to get back into the game despite coming right back onto the field in the second quarter. I did not even see the trainers working on him or anything. It was extremely frustrating and I think that was echoed in Kraft's comments last month that he does not want to overpay for a player who has a tough time to staying on the field.