Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Anybody See...

Truebluefan85

the graphic put up towards the end of the game about our defense? Opposing teams have a 79% completion percentage against our defense when we run the tampa 2, 70% against the base cover 2, and 59% when we play man-to-man.

Sometimes the numbers don't lie...

Edited by Truebluefan85

I live this year for stats like that. CBS did a great job on getting us that stat. Numbers do lie though because it is obvious when we are man to man we give up a lot of deep touchdowns. We don't have a secondary capable of guarding deep balls one on one on a shutdown basis. It is obvious we need to play more man because our defense can actually stop passes. But is also just as obvious we must uprate our whole secondary to be capable of man to man, jam at the line, cover down field coverage. We are a secondary away from actually being a decent defense. I'll say it once, I'll say it again, defensive backs are the most important position on defense. Sure you have to have a sufficient pass rush to be able to let those great corners succeed, but undersized, out matched corner backs will make any pass rush look weak.

I hear the announcers even mention Polian finally realizes we need to play one on one more and get bigger corners. Way too late Polian. This has hindered our team or years. If they are just know figuring this out I ear for the future of our franchise.

Maybe i'm wrong the tampa 2 isn't about completion %, it's about limiting big pass plays. Unfortunately, Coyer puts our corners twice as far back as he should.

See that's why I have such a problem with this style of defense. It's inherently flawed. The whole point of defense is to keep your opponent from gaining yards and in effect scoring touchdowns. Why in the sam h*** would you intentionally let them complete passes? Just to keep them in front of you? Keep them in front of you all you want but the fact is they are still getting 8-10 yards a pop, effectively nullifying the whole point of playing defense. Seems kind of absurd to me.

the graphic put up towards the end of the game about our defense? Opposing teams have a 79% completion percentage against our defense when we run the tampa 2, 70% against the base cover 2, and 59% when we play man-to-man.

Good job putting that up. I noticed it and was actually surprised. Maybe we're trying too hard to make our guys fit a scheme that they aren't proficient at?

I hear the announcers even mention Polian finally realizes we need to play one on one more and get bigger corners. Way too late Polian. This has hindered our team or years. If they are just know figuring this out I ear for the future of our franchise.

Why should Polian realize that we need to play one on one more? He is not the frigging coach!

I was so glad they put that graphic up

man to man: 43 plays 56% pass completion

zone: 72 plays 71% pass completion

tampa 2: 124 plays 79% pass completion

It's not just the fact that they're giving up 79% of their passes when running the tampa 2, but they're running it far more than any other defense. they run tampa 2 more than they run man to man or other zone combined. They're running tampa 2 over 51% of plays, other zone defenses 30.1% of the time and man to man 18% of the time. That right there is the point many people have been making...not so much that they run the tampa 2 coverage because most teams run this coverage some times. Rather the fact that the Colts have been running the tampa 2 so much that it's essentially their base defense....this is the problem.

I was so glad they put that graphic up

man to man: 43 plays 56% pass completion

zone: 72 plays 71% pass completion

tampa 2: 124 plays 79% pass completion

It's not just the fact that they're giving up 79% of their passes when running the tampa 2, but they're running it far more than any other defense. they run tampa 2 more than they run man to man or other zone combined. They're running tampa 2 over 51% of plays, other zone defenses 30.1% of the time and man to man 18% of the time. That right there is the point many people have been making...not so much that they run the tampa 2 coverage because most teams run this coverage some times. Rather the fact that the Colts have been running the tampa 2 so much that it's essentially their base defense....this is the problem.

Thanks for putting up the number of plays. I didn't get it all written down in time. :thmup:

Thanks for putting up the number of plays. I didn't get it all written down in time. :thmup:

I record the games and watch them on delay so I can skip through halftime and commercials (which is why I seldom come to the chat room)....I rewound it so I could take note of the numbers. :D

That means that we are stone predictable.....we dont disquise anything and we rarely blitz..

we are almost the practice squad..