Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New challenge rule badly needed

OLD FAN MAN

imo a team should be allowed to challenge a non call like a called play. the refs cant see everything as we saw last night. the same loss of timeout rules could still apply. thoughts? I put this in colts instead of nfl because it happened to us against the pats.

A good alternative is to ditch some rules. I do think PI should be challengeable since it can be so game changing.

I hate to agree with him....but Belichick has the right idea. Make every play available for challenge. Keep the current rules in place (two per game, timeout rules same) but open up every play for challenge. Coaches would have to be choosy on what to challenge, but it wouldn't slow the game down much if at all.

That, and centralize replay/challenges. They do it in the NHL and it works great. Colleges even do it better than the NFL with one person upstairs handling the reviews/challenges. It's bush league that the ref has to run over to a hooded tv and watch replays. Get rid of it. This is the top tier football league in the US and they are being outdone by the NCAA and NHL.

I think the games are too short, if we had more time we may have beaten the pats

Um, or they might have scored another 30 points on us! Our D was gassed at the end of the game, right around the time Blount busted off that big run.

imo a team should be allowed to challenge a non call like a called play. the refs cant see everything as we saw last night. the same loss of timeout rules could still apply. thoughts? I put this in colts instead of nfl because it happened to us against the pats.

then new England would never win .

I hate to agree with him....but Belichick has the right idea. Make every play available for challenge. Keep the current rules in place (two per game, timeout rules same) but open up every play for challenge. Coaches would have to be choosy on what to challenge, but it wouldn't slow the game down much if at all.

That, and centralize replay/challenges. They do it in the NHL and it works great. Colleges even do it better than the NFL with one person upstairs handling the reviews/challenges. It's bush league that the ref has to run over to a hooded tv and watch replays. Get rid of it. This is the top tier football league in the US and they are being outdone by the NCAA and NHL.

Only thing I'd add to that is any potential turnover or score should be automatically reviewed.  Makes no sense that a close call that's called a TD is automatically reviewed but an equally close call that goes the other way isn't automatically reviewed.

I think teams should keep only the 2 challenges and gain another if they win the 2 previous challenges.. Just like it is now

However, I wouldn't be against the league expanding what is allowed to be challenged. Unfortunately agreeing with what Belichick has stated before

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 13, 2014 - new account for suspended poster brent71
Hidden by Nadine, January 13, 2014 - new account for suspended poster brent71

Unfortunately refs are human and miss things occasionally.

if by "occasionally" you mean twenty times a game then yes, "occasionally".