Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What can we do to improve our Defense?

Rob Lowe

why don't you tell all of us who don't understand football  defenses, how the colts defense really works,if you share your knowledge with us and we finally understand ,maybe we wont say dumb things and you will stay on here more.

Read the link I posted in my previous post.  It completely details the Colts base hybrid front and lists the responsibilities for each player. :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course not.  I didn't say that to an NFL coach, I said it to you.  You are not an NFL coach.

As for RJF, you hated the contract that he signed.  That's what I meant when I said you hated "the signing".  I get that it could have also meant that you didn't want him here in the first place so that part was my fault for not clarifying better.

Also, perhaps your familiarity with the Colts defense is not as refined as you might have thought.  You said that RJF would be better suited for Wade Phillips' gap penetrating 1-gap system correct?  As I believe you and many others have pointed out before, the Colts don't run a strict 2-gap 3-4.  It's a hybrid. 

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2013-articles/june/explaining-the-colts-3-4-defensive-line.html

RJF is the 3-tech being referenced here, so his job is as a gap penetrator in pass rush, which is what he would be in Wade's defense.  Therefore, your assertion that he would better suited for Wade's defense than ours doesn't really hold water since his responsibilities would be the same either way.

RJF is moved around alot, He played alot of 4, 5 and 1 Tech vs the Pats

If we had one really good CB opposite Vontae (making Vontae the #2), I think we would have been a top 10 defense. 

We gave up the 9th fewest points all year, which is even more impressive considering the offense went six-seven games without scoring a first half TD, forced the second most fumbles, and were right in the middle with INT's and 3rd down conversion %.  Our biggest issue, manifested by the first half of the Houston game, was giving up big chunk plays to WR while in man coverage while focusing on stopping the run.

We need a Terrell Suggs player at OLB to put the fear into opposing RBs and QBs.

did you forget about mathis?????

Suggs must be a Colt if available, please!

he completely disappeared the 2nd half of the year. local sports stations have brought this up several times here in md.

why don't you tell all of us who don't understand football  defenses, how the colts defense really works,if you share your knowledge with us and we finally understand ,maybe we wont say dumb things and you will stay on here more.

When someone says that 3 down lineman should stop the run and someone else explains and posts and article about how the defense really works and it doesn't get through their head there is no reason to reiterate the same thing all over.  

Colts  won a boat load of games with Peyton at the helm.  Looking back it's very frustrating that they only won 1 Super Bowl.

Their defensed was flawed as were their specials.   So, Peyton is gone and now we have Andrew Luck who I am sure will have 

an outstanding career.  The question is have Colts learned their lesson.  Will they continue to accept having a weak defense

that will always stop them from winning it all.   Imagine having Peyton and Luck back to back as qb's and winning 1 bowl.

Unforgivable!!!!

Personally Im not a fan of Manusky.  Adjustments seem to come to slow and guys seem way to confused at times.  A few of Bradys passes in the first quarter I saw Davis yelling at Freeman I believe to come out to the slot.  Davis thought they were switching and Freeman didn't, ended in a converted 3rd down.

Our real problem this season was defending against the run, not the pass.

So our CB's are not are biggest problem. There's always room for improvement at CB, but defending against the run should be our main concern. ILB and Safety as well as D-Line should be adressed along with pass rush and our O-line.

Just my two cents

honestly, you guys should make Brandon Spikes your #1 priority.  He is an absolute monster against the run and can be had relatively cheap given his 630k salary this year.

given how outspoken his agent was today and the whole situation, the chance the Patriots resign him is less than zero

Read the link I posted in my previous post.  It completely details the Colts base hybrid front and lists the responsibilities for each player. :)

you are welcome by the way

wasn't it you i had to educate our our dline responsibilities.  if so well done.  you learned well

I disagree with some of those points in that article. We mostly two-gap against the run, but will shoot gaps on the backside of the play when possible to pursue from behind. But playside, it's mostly about containment, shutting down running lanes.

When we try to shoot gaps on the playside, we sometimes wind up giving up big gains, which is partially what happened on the big LaGarrette Blount TD run the other night. Mathis got too much penetration, RJF tried to shoot the gap and got turned back, and no one else was there to slow Blount down, leaving a hole. Landry got to the hole too late and had to try to dive, and because the play was already a couple seconds in, there was no depth to our defense as everyone had begun to flow to the ball, leaving Blount with nothing but green in front of him. Had RJF been two-gapping, holding the point of attack rather than trying to penetrate, he would have been occupying the space right where Blount broke through.

So me personally, I think we should stick to the two-gap principles on the playside. That means the linemen aren't as much of a factor in rushing the passer, because we're slowing them down the majority of the time by asking them to hold the point of attack. So we need another big body at ILB who can also rush the passer. I like McNary there, but he's not good in coverage, and doesn't find the ball carrier well against the run. 

you are welcome by the way

wasn't it you i had to educate our our dline responsibilities.  if so well done.  you learned well

no it wasn't me but I know who it was and I remember the conversation.  You pointed out that RJF does in fact play the 3 tech in our defense as opposed to the 5.  It wasn't me you were discussing it with but I admit that I also did not realize that at the time.  So I did learn something from your one worthwhile contribution to the forum and for that I do thank you.

For the Secondary: 

We need better safeties. Jairus Bryd would be a dream come true, but he comes with a huge contract as well. In this instance I would let Bethea walk and hope Landry learns to tackle. I don't think it's realistic to believe we cut Landry after 1 season.

Speaking of cutting after 1 season, I think we need to cut Toler anyways. He was hurt all season and even when he did play, he never played at a level that we paid him for. Maybe pick up a CB in FA(Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie anyone?) or let Butler become that #2 next to Davis. Vontae has to be re-signed of course, this is a no brainer. I just hope the price tag isn't too big.  If you don't want to spend, keep DHB and put him at CB..  :cool: but seriously I hope Toler isn't starting for us next fall.