Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck 9 INTs Manning 10 INTs

danlhart87

Oh yeah! Well, how does his fumble percentage match up to Peyton's?

'Cause that seems to be all that's important in this thread.

Very well actually, if you really want the answer to the question.  Best way to figure fumble percentage for a QB would probably be sacks+rush attempts (basically, plays where you have the opportunity to fumble).  Ignoring whether fumbles are lost, since that can be rather random (and also note this is only through 15 games, so not counting what happened this Sunday), Manning has fumbled the ball on 20.41% of such plays this year (10 fumbles on 32 rush attempts + 17 sacks), while Luck has fumbled the ball on 5.43% of such plays this year (5 fumbles on 61 rush attempts and 31 sacks).

The actual question at hand, in which I raised issue with and you and another poster interjected, was if Peyton's better ratio meant Luck didn't actually throw less picks.

Over the course of the season?  Of course not.  I just don't understand why you're arguing that Luck throwing 9 interceptions in 100 less attempts than Manning is a plus for Luck.

Over the course of the season? Of course not. I just don't understand why you're arguing that Luck throwing 9 interceptions in 100 less attempts than Manning is a plus for Luck.

Who is arguing that lol? No one that I can see.

This is why I don't enjoy engaging with posters who don't take the time to read the context of what they are responding to.

Andy says: " Manning has 659 attempts this season and 10 INTS. That's a 1.51% INT percentage.

Luck has 570 attempts this season and 9 INTS. That's a 1.57% INT percentage.

Not technically true, and even then, it's only one pick."

I say: "Errr. Yes it technically is true. Nothing was said about interception to passes percentage.

No bonus points for throwing the ball more."

Then GoColts comes in arguing some point, no one was trying to make,continues this through several posts, and was completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

And then you jumped in.

Not once did I say 100 less throws was better. Not once did I say 100 more throws doesn't factor.

Only that the ratios don't make the 9 to 10 stat any less true.

I'll say it once again to you, this is a Colts forum. We like to praise our players when we feel like it's warranted, even when outsiders might disagree. Luck made great strides in his ability to protect the ball. The OP hit the nail on the head.

I get that believe me but this thread is embarrassing on many levels given Manning just a historic season and the OP didn't even bother to mention the pass attempts for each.

I get that believe me but this thread is embarrassing on many levels given Manning just a historic season and the OP didn't even bother to mention the pass attempts for each.

I agree. Luck is not in the same league as Peyton yet. But would you not agree that Luck has made great strides in his ability to take care of the ball?

I agree. Luck is not in the same league as Peyton yet. But would you not agree that Luck has made great strides in his ability to take care of the ball?

Sure. But as the first pick he should have had this season IMO. The 18 picks last year were awful as well as the fumbles. He is def. a QB that learns from his mistakes and that will serve him well this season and beyond but all the great QBs have that pedigree or at least should.

Sure. But as the first pick he should have had this season IMO. The 18 picks last year were awful as well as the fumbles. He is def. a QB that learns from his mistakes and that will serve him well this season and beyond but all the great QBs have that pedigree or at least should.

Well, he did have quite a few attempts.  2.9% isn't great these days, but he was pretty much at the same level as Brees, Romo, Dalton, Eli, and Rivers were last year.  Not exactly banner years by some of those guys, but it's not like Luck, especially since he was a rookie, was notably awful.  In any case, Luck's career interception percentage now is better than guys like Brees, Manning, Rivers, Ryan, Flacco, and Romo, and you'd think those guys have played long enough for the number to go down.

Actually, since we're comparing Luck and Manning, it's worth noting that Luck's interception percentage this year was lower than every single year of Manning's career except one - which also happened to be this year.

The OP didn't mention pass attempts for each because there was no need to.  The OP was very simple.  Luck threw less interceptions this year than last year.  Oh and Manning also had very few interceptions.  They both had a great year.  The thread was not meant as a comparison of the 2 nor of the years they had, but rather to simply say that both QB's did a very good job this year of protecting the football. 

Andy and GoColts8818 were the ones that turned it into a comparison of performance between the 2.  The OP was simply stating they both had very good years.

That's at least one aspect I am very happy Luck improved on. I am very happy with Luck. Happy Manning is doing so well though too.

The OP didn't mention pass attempts for each because there was no need to. The OP was very simple. Luck threw less interceptions this year than last year. Oh and Manning also had very few interceptions. They both had a great year. The thread was not meant as a comparison of the 2 nor of the years they had, but rather to simply say that both QB's did a very good job this year of protecting the football.

Andy and GoColts8818 were the ones that turned it into a comparison of performance between the 2. The OP was simply stating they both had very good years.

Thank you Jason. I could have sworn I was losing my mind with this thread yesterday.

Great season for a lot of qbs on this regard. Luck and Peyton have both had great years...one well had perhaps the greatest year by a qb all time....but really I have been more impressed by Foles season this year in taking care of the ball more so than Luck or Peyton...that kid just doesn't make bad decisions...or at least doesn't make a lot. Nick Foles makes Luck look like Eli.

Great season for a lot of qbs on this regard. Luck and Peyton have both had great years...one well had perhaps the greatest year by a qb all time....but really I have been more impressed by Foles season this year in taking care of the ball more so than Luck or Peyton...that kid just doesn't make bad decisions...or at least doesn't make a lot. Nick Foles makes Luck look like Eli.

I think Foles is a one hit wonder on a hot streak

The OP didn't mention pass attempts for each because there was no need to.  The OP was very simple.  Luck threw less interceptions this year than last year.  Oh and Manning also had very few interceptions.  They both had a great year.  The thread was not meant as a comparison of the 2 nor of the years they had, but rather to simply say that both QB's did a very good job this year of protecting the football. 

Andy and GoColts8818 were the ones that turned it into a comparison of performance between the 2.  The OP was simply stating they both had very good years.

First, your avatar is truly frightening.

No issue with the OP but this is one of the few football forums where no stat is left by itself. It is what makes the site great IMO. I would think the OP would understand that though his intent was to show Luck had one fewer picks then Manning there is more to the stat then just the raw INT stat. It does not mean Luck didn't have a good year. But when you take a second year guy who threw 18 picks last season and compare him to Manning who had a historic season expect some break down.

First, your avatar is truly frightening.

No issue with the OP but this is one of the few football forums where no stat is left by itself. It is what makes the site great IMO. I would think the OP would understand that though his intent was to show Luck had one fewer picks then Manning there is more to the stat then just the raw INT stat. It does not mean Luck didn't have a good year. But when you take a second year guy who threw 18 picks last season and compare him to Manning who had a historic season expect some break down.

Please read all other posts in the thread.  The OP was NOT trying to show that Luck had one pick fewer than Manning and he was NOT trying to compare the 2.  He was simply stating that both Luck and Manning did a good job of protecting the football this year.  I stated all of this almost verbatim in the post that you quoted.  His post wasn't encrypted or written in windings so I don't get why people keep misunderstanding his intent.

Oh and as for the avatar...thank you! :D

Please read all other posts in the thread.  The OP was NOT trying to show that Luck had one pick fewer than Manning and he was NOT trying to compare the 2.  He was simply stating that both Luck and Manning did a good job of protecting the football this year.  I stated all of this almost verbatim in the post that you quoted.  His post wasn't encrypted or written in windings so I don't get why people keep misunderstanding his intent.

Oh and as for the avatar...thank you! :D

No one is questioning the intent of the OP but every thread has a discussion otherwise why post it? Of course a thread of this nature would dissect the two seasons of the two QBs no matter the intention of the OP.

No one is questioning the intent of the OP but every thread has a discussion otherwise why post it? Of course a thread of this nature would dissect the two seasons of the two QBs no matter the intention of the OP.

That's not true at all.  If it were then you wouldn't have said:

I would think the OP would understand that though his intent was to show Luck had one fewer picks then Manning there is more to the stat then just the raw INT stat. It does not mean Luck didn't have a good year. But when you take a second year guy who threw 18 picks last season and compare him to Manning who had a historic season expect some break down.

The OP was NOT trying to show that Luck had one fewer pick than Manning.