Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is It Realistic To Think We Can Turn This Around In The Off Season?

mightisright

There really isn't anything we can do to shore up our offense/defense at this point in the season. So what can we do to shore up the defense mostly in the offseason? I'm assuming Manning will be back next year. Because I personally have to hold out hope until it's not realistic. If we're thinking Manning has a few years left, is it realistic to think we can turn this around in ONE off season? Do we have cap space to get some good defensive players in FA for next season? What positions would you try to find more talent in? And which positions are the hardest to transition as rookies, and need to go all out in FA?

In my opinion, SS, CB, DB and WR are the 4 positions we most need to stock up some talent in. What are yours?

yeah, I think no PM and we're screwed. Because it means we have to use our 1st round draft pick on a QB instead of leveraging it to get a some good defensive players. I know that puts me squarely in the no-luck camp but that's not because I like or don't like Luck. It's because Jesus Christ himself couldn't win with this team without getting some real talent on Defense! Going from one HOF QB to the next potential HOF QB doesn't help us much for the next few years. We need to add key players NOW. Just my opinion.

I think it's clear that Jim will get his walking papers at the end of the season. The real question is whether we will be able to get somebody better in to coach, given that most coaches don't like the Polians. The second question is whether we can afford to get some help on defense.

Has it gotten bad enough yet that BP will concede that NOW is the time to bring in a big FA name or two? I know that's not his norm, but how bad does it have to get?!

I think it's clear that Jim will get his walking papers at the end of the season. The real question is whether we will be able to get somebody better in to coach, given that most coaches don't like the Polians. The second question is whether we can afford to get some help on defense.

Has it gotten bad enough yet that BP will concede that NOW is the time to bring in a big FA name or two? I know that's not his norm, but how bad does it have to get?!

It has to be a good fit for what we're trying to do. Hard to tell right now what that will be until the coaching/GM situation is resolved.

It has to be a good fit for what we're trying to do. Hard to tell right now what that will be until the coaching/GM situation is resolved.

I'm not sure that it has to be a good fit for what we're trying to do. I think we need a new coach with a new defensive style/philosophy/plan (whatever!). I think that what we've been trying to do no longer works. It's time for a change! I guess we'll see what who they come up with in the off season.

Please keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle......

If Peyton comes back, that's 9-10 wins guaranteed. Now if we continue with our conservative ways of drafting and developing then it's gonna take anywhere from 2-4 years to get back to being considered top 3. However, if we draft well and acquire some GOOD, notice I said GOOD and not CONTRIBUTING, free agents then we'll be back at the top next year with no problem. When I say good, I don't mean specifically a big name, but someone who can come in and START and make an IMPACT. Not SIT and provide DEPTH.

Edited by smittywerb

i wish I had your faith. Peyton comes back, and we automatically have 9-10 wins? He's the best ever. But he doesn't play defense or special teams, both of which are atrocious right now.

First, that's IF he comes back.

Second, I'm pretty sure you see what this team is without Peyton and what it was WITH. He doesn't play special teams or defense but he sure covers up the downfalls of the defense.

Edited by smittywerb

If the decision is he gets his walking papers at the end of the season, why not just go ahead and fire him now? I mean really what is the point of having a lame duck HC on teh side lines if you have no faith in him?

i wish I had your faith. Peyton comes back, and we automatically have 9-10 wins? He's the best ever. But he doesn't play defense or special teams, both of which are atrocious right now.

Well the other 3 teams in our division are not that good either, so there is 4-5 wins right there. The lesser schedule should get us more wins also, and according to many here our defense has sucked butt for a while yet last year we won 10 and the year before we won 14, so no 9-10 wins with a healthy Peyton isn't to much to ask.

BUT we really need to put some real talent into this team and stop relying on Manning so heavily. He's getting older and if we want another SB or two instead of just a few more playoff spots we GOT to turn this team around.

real talent? So you are saying Peyton is the only real talent on this roster right now?

BUT we really need to put some real talent into this team and stop relying on Manning so heavily. He's getting older and if we want another SB or two instead of just a few more playoff spots we GOT to turn this team around.

Look, if we're gonna stop relying on Manning, it is gonna take years to take some pressure off of him. Right now, it is too late to change so we have to continue with what we do and give Manning the best we possibly can. To turn this team around, it's gonna take risks (something we dont take), being aggressive (we're conservative), and time (something that is VERY limited).

If the decision is he gets his walking papers at the end of the season, why not just go ahead and fire him now? I mean really what is the point of having a lame duck HC on teh side lines if you have no faith in him?

Suck fer luck?

Look, if we're gonna stop relying on Manning, it is gonna take years to take some pressure off of him. Right now, it is too late to change so we have to continue with what we do and give Manning the best we possibly can. To turn this team around, it's gonna take risks (something we dont take), being aggressive (we're conservative), and time (something that is VERY limited).

Hense the post on whether it's realistic to think we can turn this around this off season!

Buckle in Colts fans, this is the beginning of one long road to recovery. We need talent at nearly every position, and a new scheme in place. This is a 2+year building operation, and thats IF everything goes well.....

That's what I've been saying, but majority of the people believe this one draft will make everything go away just because we might get the first pick. smh

I don't believe this one draft will cure everything that ails this team. I agree we need a new scheme, new leadership, and SOME new players. I don't agree that we need talent at nearly every position. I think we need a real infusion of talent and depth at Defense which will trickle down to special teams. And a good WR and some more depth at the O-line.

If Peyton comes back, that's 9-10 wins guaranteed. Now if we continue with our conservative ways of drafting and developing then it's gonna take anywhere from 2-4 years to get back to being considered top 3. However, if we draft well and acquire some GOOD, notice I said GOOD and not CONTRIBUTING, free agents then we'll be back at the top next year with no problem. When I say good, I don't mean specifically a big name, but someone who can come in and START and make an IMPACT. Not SIT and provide DEPTH.

It's not guarantee that Peyton guarantees 9-10 wins. The team has regressed to the way it was during Peyton's first couple of years and he will be one year older and he will never be 100% healthy again. The overall team around Peyton will have to improve drastically because I doubt if Peyton will ever be as good as he was before the surgery. It is always going to be a fear in his mind about sustaining that one hit that may put him out of the game for good.

I don't believe this one draft will cure everything that ails this team. I agree we need a new scheme, new leadership, and SOME new players. I don't agree that we need talent at nearly every position. I think we need a real infusion of talent and depth at Defense which will trickle down to special teams. And a good WR and some more depth at the O-line.

Add in DB's, a TE will need to be picked up in the near future, QB as well, your looking at a literal entire roster rebuild.

Pretty much. The cast of characters accompanying Peyton has been vastly overrated in my humble estimation.

So all those Pro Bowl honors and such don't mean anything? All the high reviews of a number of our players by other experts were wrong? Basically all the winning was done by Peyton? He scored all those points, he blocked and tackled folk. Basically Polian got 1 pick right in his entire career and everyone else are just role players....

It's not guarantee that Peyton guarantees 9-10 wins. The team has regressed to the way it was during Peyton's first couple of years and he will be one year older and he will never be 100% healthy again. The overall team around Peyton will have to improve drastically because I doubt if Peyton will ever be as good as he was before the surgery. It is always going to be a fear in his mind about sustaining that one hit that may put him out of the game for good.

you may be right and we won't know till next season, but I willing to bet that most experts (including vegas) will have the Colts penciled in for 9-10 wins next year if Peyton is back and playing.

Well the other 3 teams in our division are not that good either, so there is 4-5 wins right there. The lesser schedule should get us more wins also, and according to many here our defense has sucked butt for a while yet last year we won 10 and the year before we won 14, so no 9-10 wins with a healthy Peyton isn't to much to ask.

Then we get bounced in the first round as usual so we're back to square one complaining about the coaching staff and the front office.

Then we get bounced in the first round as usual so we're back to square one complaining about the coaching staff and the front office.

Making the playoffs is important, and as we have seen in many sports, once in the playoffs anything can happen and the best team doesn't always win, so I will like our chances if we are in the playoffs.

If it turns out Manning that has to retire, my expectations wills change. I wont expect a SB for a few seasons , I won't have a negative attitude about but because it will be exciting to build towards the ultimate goal.

IMO though if the Colts keep pieces like Frathis, Angerer, Clark, Garcon, Collie, Wayne, and Bethea; Colts will be back hunting for a Championship pretty quick.

While there's some big holes in this team, it still has the players said above, which is alot more than PM had to work with when he was drafted.

assuming peyton is back to full health next season and we dont lose too much in FA, I dont see any reason why we can not be as good as we were in 09'

That is the elephant in the room. the question won't be answered anytime soon and has the biggest impact on this fracnhise for the next decade. We can only hope he is able to return.

That is the elephant in the room. the question won't be answered anytime soon and has the biggest impact on this fracnhise for the next decade. We can only hope he is able to return.

Holy crap! This is something that I actually agree with...now I'm really getting worried.

Peyton's done it before, going from 3-13 to 13-3 in one season, so it is possible if he is healthy and gets some support from his teamates, and someone besides Blinky as a head coach along with his abissmal staff.

IMO, the team has gotten slightly better (despite the injuries, as usual) with little improvement in the running game. Yes, the pass d has gotten worse but Peyton's leads will help the DB's. Now we're as if we have a healthy Peyton, let's get that clear because if Peyton is no where near 90%, I feel we might as well chalk the next season up also.

If it turns out Manning that has to retire, my expectations wills change. I wont expect a SB for a few seasons , I won't have a negative attitude about but because it will be exciting to build towards the ultimate goal.

IMO though if the Colts keep pieces like Frathis, Angerer, Clark, Garcon, Collie, Wayne, and Bethea; Colts will be back hunting for a Championship pretty quick.

While there's some big holes in this team, it still has the players said above, which is alot more than PM had to work with when he was drafted.

If you think Peyton plus those guys will win a championship, you will be let down. Other teams have a lot more players than those you listed that will contribute and probably better.

Edited by smittywerb

So all those Pro Bowl honors and such don't mean anything? All the high reviews of a number of our players by other experts were wrong? Basically all the winning was done by Peyton? He scored all those points, he blocked and tackled folk. Basically Polian got 1 pick right in his entire career and everyone else are just role players....

so it's just a coincidence that the colts can't win a game without manning?? imo the overall talent on this team has been overrated for a long time.....