Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Dwayne Allen be a top 3 Tight End?

BlueCollarColts

Well we know Gronkowski and Graham are probably 1 and 2 right now in terms of tight end rankings, but can Dwayne Allen take over the #3 spot? Antonio Gates and Jason Witten are up there but both of them are getting up there in age, as Gates will be 34 next season and Witten will be 32. Gonzalez in Atlanta will likely retire, so my question is, do you believe Dwayne Allen can eventually take over the #3 spot?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not that fast or tall so his receiving numbers will never be good enough for him to be considered that high imo.

And FWIW, PFF had him as the highest graded TE in the league last year.

Your right, he's not the tallest guy, but he is 6'3 265, so he isn't exactly short either. He also isn't the fastest tight end, but I do believe he is quick enough to be a mismatch on linebackers imo. Not to mention he is a great blocker

No way. I can't believe the hype of this guy. He's a NUMBER TWO TE, but that's it. The good news is the colts have 3 very solid contributing TE'S (fleener, allen and doyle). But none of them are ELITE. Let's take a reality pill.

He's not a #2 TE. He was the starter last year, and this year before he got hurt.

Your right, he's not the tallest guy, but he is 6'3 265, so he isn't exactly short either. He also isn't the fastest tight end, but I do believe he is quick enough to be a mismatch on linebackers imo. Not to mention he is a great blocker

I hear ya. I have him in my top 10, but I just don't think he's a good enough athlete to put up Graham/Gronk #s.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - personal shot

No way. I can't believe the hype of this guy. He's a NUMBER TWO TE, but that's it. The good news is the colts have 3 very solid contributing TE'S (fleener, allen and doyle). But none of them are ELITE. Let's take a reality pill.

You're pretty clueless.

And your point is what? Fleener is healthy and allen is returning from a serious hip injury.

Players get serious injuries all the time. Allen is 23, young guys are always better at recovering vs say a guy in his 30's, Gronkowski has had multiple serious injuries, yet he is still producing mega numbers. Allen was the better player last year, and we have no reason to suspect that will be any different. Allen is just overall a better player, and Fleener has done nothing to prove otherwise

Well we know Gronkowski and Graham are probably 1 and 2 right now in terms of tight end rankings, but can Dwayne Allen take over the #3 spot? Antonio Gates and Jason Witten are up there but both of them are getting up there in age, as Gates will be 34 next season and Witten will be 32. Gonzalez in Atlanta will likely retire, so my question is, do you believe Dwayne Allen can eventually take over the #3 spot?

No.

Plus,  SF has a pretty solid tight end who's as good as any. 

Players get serious injuries all the time. Allen is 23, young guys are always better at recovering vs say a guy in his 30's, Gronkowski has had multiple serious injuries, yet he is still producing mega numbers. Allen was the better player last year, and we have no reason to suspect that will be any different. Allen is just overall a better player, and Fleener has done nothing to prove otherwise

I seriously hope so as well. But you guys are thinking of dwayne allen of old before the busted hip. That might not be what we get next year. That was one of the worst possible injuries to substain.

I seriously hope so as well. But you guys are thinking of dwayne allen of old before the busted hip. That might not be what we get next year. That was one of the worst possible injuries to substain.

We don't even know what the injury was. It's just classified as a "hip" injury.

where did it ever say specifically what the injury to his hip was? Link please? The guy played with it injured through part of the game, so I don't think it was busted

Well, i don't think a hip pointer would IR him for the entire league year. Must be a serious problem (images of bo jackson).

Yeah it's obviously not a hip-pointer. And luckily for Dwayne medical technology has advanced in the past 30 years since Bo Jackson's days.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - quoting removed post and returning shot
Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - quoting removed post and returning shot

Are you really this ignorant? There are MANY injuries that could of happened to his hip that could of put him on IR  :facepalm:

The ingnoramus is you thinking he can completely recover from a serious hip injury. He might not even be ready for TC with this type of injury.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - quoting removed post

The ingnoramus is you thinking he can completely recover from a serious hip injury. He might not even be ready for TC with this type of injury.

Will you quit saying "this type of injury", when you have no clue what the actual injury is  :facepalm:

V. Davis, Witten, Pitta, Heath Miller, and Delanie Walker are all pretty good blockers as well.

They're good. All 6 are about even in run blocking, but his pass blocking is what sets Allen apart where he's basically unmatched.

I'd also throw Martellus Bennett's name in there.

They're good. All 6 are about even in run blocking, but his pass blocking is what sets Allen apart where he's basically unmatched.

I'd also throw Martellus Bennett's name in there.

Yes, allen's the best blocker of them all. Also, what about that kid from the browns?