Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Butler ILB thoughts?

Guest TeamLoloJones

Mcnary hasn't shown nearly enough to warrant starting next to Freeman next year

Especially with us more than likely losing 2 ILBs to free agency, we will have to go after someone.  

Especially with us more than likely losing 2 ILBs to free agency, we will have to go after someone.  

I like Mcnary, the kid has some potential dont get me wrong, He tracked the ball well when he was in vs the Chiefs and showed excellent instincts but the 3 tackles he had he was knocked back on

I can see your point somewhat, but it's same thing they said about D. Rogers until he got the chance to show what he has.  I think it would be silly to say Rogers is not in the mix to be a starter next year. He's practically a starter now, Mcnary just needs more snaps just like Rogers did.  He's got the size and speed you like in a prototypical ILB in a 3-4, and he's already shown some flashes, just needs more reps.  Of course you are going to make some mistakes when you are getting your feet in the game. We knew barely anything about Freeman when he became the starter. Sure it was because of injury that he got his chance, but sometimes when the talent is there it's there. I'm not saying you don't bring in some solid FA competition, that's what we have all that money for is to create competition. But my opinion is that Mcnary can be the starter next to Freeman.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'm not factoring money. I'm flat out saying Riley is a better LB!

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.

ILB is one of our biggest needs.

said the same thing a couple months ago, and was chastised for it. Some (not you) are slow to grasp concepts that aren't immediately obvious, though. I assume Grigs is well aware of the need, and it would be interesting to learn how he ranks it next to ones posters feel are more glaring, like OG or C.

I like Mcnary, the kid has some potential dont get me wrong, He tracked the ball well when he was in vs the Chiefs and showed excellent instincts but the 3 tackles he had he was knocked back on

So he was Angerer with tracking and instincts after playing about 50-60 min. total? Don`t know why he couldn`t be a starter ith 8 months to work on it. haha

Glad to hear there will be several 1st contractors for Grigs to go after.

I`d love to have a run stopping beast with Freeman behind Chapman.  lol

Gotta figure Grigs does his thing and goes after Good, in the $3Mper +- range.

IMO a great time to add a young vet in there as we Will contend NEXT year. Plenty of opps for McNary in the rotation!

So he was Angerer with tracking and instincts after playing about 50-60 min. total? Don`t know why he couldn`t be a starter ith 8 months to work on it. haha

Glad to hear there will be several 1st contractors for Grigs to go after.

I`d love to have a run stopping beast with Freeman behind Chapman.  lol

Gotta figure Grigs does his thing and goes after Good, in the $3Mper +- range.

IMO a great time to add a young vet in there as we Will contend NEXT year. Plenty of opps for McNary in the rotation!

Mcnary is one of those Linebackers you can line up inside at ILB or outside at OLB, I actually think we have a few of those...Conner for instance, Harvey another

Guest TeamLoloJones

Mcnary is one of those Linebackers you can line up inside at ILB or outside at OLB, I actually think we have a few of those...Conner for instance, Harvey another

I'd throw Justin Hickman in there too.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah true, Would have been nice if he could stay healthy, sadly I think we let him go at the end of the season

I think that will depend on if we go after an ILB in free agency or not.

We know he rushed a lot in college. With his time away from the game it  makes sense his instincts at ILB against the run has room for developement.

We were in some 4-2 at KC i recall with him in. He can cover some space!

Last season we actually played slightly more 4 man front than 3 as I remember seeing on PFF.

This season seems like a lot more 3 man. Could you share those #`s if you have them?

We know he rushed a lot in college. With his time away from the game it  makes sense his instincts at ILB against the run has room for developement.

We were in some 4-2 at KC i recall with him in. He can cover some space!

Last season we actually played slightly more 4 man front than 3 as I remember seeing on PFF.

This season seems like a lot more 3 man. Could you share those #`s if you have them?

I dont have the #'s, Dustin probably does, Watching Mcnary out there vs the Chiefs he looked like he was doing alot of thinking and is processing things out on the field right now, his eye for the ball is really good and he can hit a bit, Good news is he is only 4 games into his career ....25 years old, alot of room to improve but I'll still feel better if we brought in another ILB

Great run defender. Arguably the worst pass coverage linebacker in the NFL.

I'd pass.

That's what I thought. He got benched for Tarpinian, and evidently that's why. Still, if he came at a low rate, like one year, $1.5m, I'd do it. He'd bring more than Sheppard and Angerer did this year simply as a run defender, and we could sub him. Draft a more versatile guy and work him in.

That's what I thought. He got benched for Tarpinian, and evidently that's why. Still, if he came at a low rate, like one year, $1.5m, I'd do it. He'd bring more than Sheppard and Angerer did this year simply as a run defender, and we could sub him. Draft a more versatile guy and work him in.

Meh Pat only has 2 less Stuffs (Not the perfect way to know if a player is good against the run I know but it is an indicator of a players propensity for getting into the backfield and making plays around the LOS) Sharpton certainly is the heavy hitter that Angerer has not been however, I wonder if we can trade a late round pick for Erin Henderson of the Vikings, Good against the run not to bad against the pass, 27 years old undrafted player, would be a good upgrade over Sheppard and Angerer