Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Erik Walden

He has played well and done what he was brought here to do.  He was brought here to help sure up the run defense and while the run defense isn't perfect it's better than it has been in years past and one guy can only do so much. 

A lot of people viewed him as Freeney's replacement and when the Colts gave him Freeney's number that didn't help.  The truth is he was brought here to be a guy to mostly help with the run who could rush the passer now and then and he's done just that.  Mathis became Freeney's replacement. 

With that said I think he is like most of the guys Grigson signed.  Solid player but nothing special.  Honestly outside of Mathis and Davis when he's on our defense is a unit that's better as a whole than the individual parts. 

It was well covered here that he was Bad for a number of early season games.

He wasn`t getting much support in the middle group of games either.

He has been making his fair share of plays the last few games, enough to make Some have a bit of Amnesia it appears.

By Statistical measure, in the last 2 games he should catch and pass the # of tackles J Hughes had last season as a rotational player with Dwight & Robert.
 Needs another sack to catch Hughes. Not sure how many plays he has compared to what Hughes had last year.

Grigson hung his hat on him so we will have the joy of seeing him in this D for another season.

Hughes put up his #`s with a only Redding as a decent to good DE beside him.

With Moala & Mathews getting significant snaps this year, it would contribute to Eric not looking as good, that is for sure.

I think Walden has played decent. I do think however his contract is too high, but I'm not a GM so it doesn't really matter.

Bjorne has been noticeable in the last couple games.

I think Werner is kinda  a hybrid between Walden and Mathis.  So when teams are playing run we might start seeing more Walden and Werner in there and when they play pass more Mathis and Werner in there with Werner eventually talking over for Walden completely in a couple of years.