Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos sign DE Jeremy Mincey just released From, Jags, have to decide who to cut, Wolfe to IR is possible

bayone

Broncos signed DE Jeremy Mincey
Mincey was waived by the Jaguars last week due to poor play and violations of team rules. Perhaps a reunion with old coach Jack Del Rio -- now the defensive coordinator in Denver -- will get him back in line. Mincey is 30 years old now, but had 13 sacks between 2010-11 while playing for Del Rio in Jacksonville. Dec 17 - 10:45 AM

Mincey is expected to be formally signed and on the practice field Wednesday. He was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Friday after being late to a team meeting.

The eighth-year veteran played for Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio when ....  was the coach of the Jaguars.

Mincey also had been left off a road trip to Houston last month after he was late for a team meeting, and he was a game-day inactive against the Cleveland Browns on Dec. 1.

The Broncos talked to Jaguars general manager David Caldwell before coming to terms with Mincey and hope Mincey can enter their rotation up front. They will have to make a roster move to formally add him.

Derek Wolfe  .........

The Broncos could move Wolfe to injured reserve, but as of Monday team officials were still hopeful he could return for the postseason. Wolfe recently began working with strength and conditioning coaches.

Mincey played well enough at times for Jacksonville to have signed a four-year, $20 million contract last year. The deal included $9 million guaranteed.

He had a career-high eight sacks in 2011. The number dropped to three in 2012, and he had 14 tackles and two sacks in eight games this season (he also missed three games with a concussion).

The Broncos have suffered up front with the losses of Derek Wolfe and Kevin Vickerson.

((( run defense I had said in many comments has been well porous ever since )))

Listed at 6'4" 265 lbs Mincey would most likely be in a rotation with Malik Jackson and Robert Ayers at the end spot in base downs.

As far as ...... behavioral issues,  ....  it's not everyday a guy gets a second chance on a super bowl contender. ..... his familiarity with Jack Del Rio will be a big positive going forward.

Denver will have to make a roster move in order to sign Mincey.  There have been rumors that Wolfe's latest medical issues have caused him to drop even more weight.  ,  ....   IR a consideration to make room

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/12/17/5220326/report-broncos-to-sign-dl-jeremy-mincey

Edited by Superman
formatting

If Del Rio was not there would Denver be doing this?

probably not as hoping Del Rio can contriol him, then again may have as need a body to fill injured position

he also played alongside Knighton as a Jag

===============

Meanwhile expect Texans nothing to lose  & wade Phillips wanting a HC job again and ultimatum given to Raiders Allen, that he better turn things around or he is out I heard on NFL network = Broncos playing not good but 2 desperate teams

=============

Remaining schedule: at Houston (2-12), at Oakland (4-10). Listen, no game in the NFL is easy, but these are should-win games for a top seed in the playoffs. Frankly, if the Broncos lose to either of these teams, they don't deserve to be the #1 seed in this conference. Get them coached up, Foxy.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/12/17/5219624/afc-west-watch-with-two-weeks-until-the-playoffs-broncos-have-no-room

Its a stroke of Luck to pick up an experinced guy this late..

He can play and he knows Del Rio..

..as an aside..why do people assume Jack Del Rio wants to coach USC

He's al;ways been an NFL guy..

College football is a nightmare...with recruiting and boosters.

Pete Carroll and the crazy Harbaugh arent going anywhere either...they know when they've got it good

Pete Carroll and the crazy Harbaugh arent going anywhere either...they know when they've got it good

just got e-mail, they waived, get this  

waive center J.D. Walton ( & he was to be the starter yet )

Broncos bring in defensive end Jeremy Mincey, waive center J.D. Walton

If Mincey passes his physical, he's expected to sign with the team, one source said.

According to another source, the team waived center J.D. Walton on Tuesday afternoon in anticipation of signing Mincey. Walton has been battling injuries and has not played in 2013.

and Wolfe's return is becoming ever more into question.

Mincey was cut by the Jaguars on Friday, less for his quality of play than for his issues with accountability, and the Broncos are not the only team to have expressed interest in him since he became a free agent

Read more: Broncos bring in defensive end Jeremy Mincey, waive center J.D. Walton - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24740590/broncos-look-at-jeremy-mincey-defensive-line-reinforcement#ixzz2nlz2eVFH

Broncos, Mincey Agree to Terms

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Mincey-Agree-to-Terms/483078c8-9386-4ce6-98d3-1cb5d80d506a

IDK...besides USC filled their position. He isn't going anywhere...nor has his defense looked deserving of keeping his job...much less getting a better one. This is just a move out of familiarity and desparity. Anything the guy gives them would be a plus....but considering how undisciplined the defense has been this year is adding another guy that has issues really the way they want to go?

just got e-mail, they waived, get this  

waive center J.D. Walton ( & he was to be the starter yet )

Broncos bring in defensive end Jeremy Mincey, waive center J.D. Walton

If Mincey passes his physical, he's expected to sign with the team, one source said.

According to another source, the team waived center J.D. Walton on Tuesday afternoon in anticipation of signing Mincey. Walton has been battling injuries and has not played in 2013.

and Wolfe's return is becoming ever more into question.

Mincey was cut by the Jaguars on Friday, less for his quality of play than for his issues with accountability, and the Broncos are not the only team to have expressed interest in him since he became a free agent

Read more: Broncos bring in defensive end Jeremy Mincey, waive center J.D. Walton - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24740590/broncos-look-at-jeremy-mincey-defensive-line-reinforcement#ixzz2nlz2eVFH

Broncos, Mincey Agree to Terms

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Mincey-Agree-to-Terms/483078c8-9386-4ce6-98d3-1cb5d80d506a

They clearly have faith in Ramirez but they better hope he doesn't go down with an injury or they will be hurting come playoff time....OL injuries really hurt them against the Ravens pass rush.

They clearly have faith in Ramirez but they better hope he doesn't go down with an injury or they will be hurting come playoff time....OL injuries really hurt them against the Ravens pass rush.

save for last game Many has been a great surprise , Doubt Waltons health would let him play this year from things i heard, they also have that steve Valos I think his name is they signed in preseason i think

Would of thought next year he would provide better depth or start, had to drop somerone, as was on IR to return maybe cant re IR him, i dont know rules, also it may be his contract year too

Maybe this is also a sign Wolfe is doing better than many believe and may be ready at some point if Denver still in the game , maybe even start of playoffs , get mixed signals on Wolfe but if wolfe was not expected tpo contribute to a SB run he would of gone on IR I imagine

anyway,, have a goodnight, this is the Michigan Madman signing off

( I only use that term as u had to hear all the noise the Lions loss made around here,---live 4 miles north of detroit boundry -- was so much I was going crazy , every channel in car i tried on every errand or even while hooked up to Heart leads to test my pacemaker today -- have to do periodically as a requirement -- all the tech did was talk get ride of the staff etc etc etc, same old lions, etc etc etc , )

IDK...besides USC filled their position. He isn't going anywhere...nor has his defense looked deserving of keeping his job...much less getting a better one. This is just a move out of familiarity and desparity. Anything the guy gives them would be a plus....but considering how undisciplined the defense has been this year is adding another guy that has issues really the way they want to go?

as far as Del Rio, if Denis allen gets fired and heard he  just may be  be if raiders lose next 2 then maybe he will come back as DC as he left Broncos to be Raiders HC i beleive , then again, u cant fault Del Rio for all the new DL  injuries , fax fiasco Re Doomerville , &  lack of a good Bailey all season

But really they were a top 5 D with tebow, they get Peyton and D  just goes down 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000299679/article/dennis-allen-on-hot-seat-reggie-mckenzie-likely-safe

OK , Bye

as far as Del Rio, if Denis allen gets fired and heard he  just may be  be if raiders lose next 2 then maybe he will come back as DC as he left Broncos to be Raiders HC i beleive , then again, u cant fault Del Rio for all the new DL  injuries , fax fiasco Re Doomerville , &  lack of a good Bailey all season

But really they were a top 5 D with tebow, they get Peyton and D  just goes down 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000299679/article/dennis-allen-on-hot-seat-reggie-mckenzie-likely-safe

OK , Bye

I don't have an issue so much with injuries or some poor play from time to time...what i would take issue with is the undisciplined play that has hurt the team over and over...bad penalties...getting off the field on 3rd down...blown assignments...sure your going to give up drives and points when your talent isn't where it should be but the issues I've seen from that team on defense this year lies a lot in the coaches imo.

I don't have an issue so much with injuries or some poor play from time to time...what i would take issue with is the undisciplined play that has hurt the team over and over...bad penalties...getting off the field on 3rd down...blown assignments...sure your going to give up drives and points when your talent isn't where it should be but the issues I've seen from that team on defense this year lies a lot in the coaches imo.

True, then shutting computer

Being undisciplined and crazy penalties are on the coach

I just will never forget , & know i said it in few threads , Chargers punting deep in own territory, Peyton to get good field position, and u go offsides, and give first down, and a 7 minute clock eating drive Peryton could of surely used

Vick before he went down stupid roughing calls ,belly bouncing QBs after the play etc, yeah i know what u r saying, just forgot about it temporarily, Blown assignments way to oftern, PI's etc etc someone last week wasnt called for it but also did a roughing , You r correct 

Its like the D expects Peyton to just Bail them out & they only have to show up

hoping the new guy respects Del Rio and Knighton as worked with both, a chjance to be on a SB team can maybe help his discipline

COMPUTER OFF IN 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,....

Denver has more serious issues than coaching.

Del Rio was also the DC last year when their defense was Top-5...but they've lost players and some confidence.

It isn't an older defense....and they've been on the field a lot due to the style of offense

You cant be satisfied with games like the last one but I hope the Broncos keep Del Rio (who I'm sure would take a head coaching job in the NFL) ..To lose your corner (injury and age), your top tackle and DE has hurt.  You notice they are still bringing in guys like Huff and Mincey this late in the year?

That indicates to me that they know they're short of talent.

They just don't have the players they had last year

I'm hoping the time off for Denver (if they get that bye) helps the 'D' but I'm afraid they're going to have to score 35 points five more times.

ps -- from espn 

Penalties now red flags for Broncos' DBs

And the Broncos have still arrived to their 15th game of the season 28th in the league in pass defense (266.1 yards allowed per game), 24th in scoring defense (26.6 points allowed per game)

one of the most penalized secondaries in the league.

The Broncos currently lead the league with 13 defensive holding penalties, including those that have been declined, eight of those assessed to the team's defensive backs. They have added nine pass interference penalties -- all nine from defensive backs -- to the pile and three illegal contact penalties.

(( and they are not even discussing the foolish roughing and unsportsmanlike play or any offensive penalty in the article ))

Many of those have simply been lapses in technique, a stumble here, a blown assignment there, but some have been a part of the bigger picture, a picture the Broncos are going to have to find a way to deal with as they move toward the postseason.

“That’s why it all has to work together, the rush and what we do on the back end,’’ Bailey said. “They need us to hold it so they can get to the quarterback and we need them to get those guys uncomfortable back there. Because now if you let the quarterbacks in this league, especially in the playoffs, stand back there and pick away at you, you can’t stop that. They’re too accurate and a lot of times the real experience ones will throw a ball not because a guy is open, but because they think they’re going to get a flag and a first down with it

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/3230/penalties-now-red-flags-for-broncos-dbs&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

I can see it now'

shuab just throws to his 2 best receivers and Broncos secondary just do PI's to often or at key times

hope they learned something of basic play during this extended off time

Broncos worse enemy are themselves

ps -- from espn 

Penalties now red flags for Broncos' DBs

And the Broncos have still arrived to their 15th game of the season 28th in the league in pass defense (266.1 yards allowed per game), 24th in scoring defense (26.6 points allowed per game)

one of the most penalized secondaries in the league.

The Broncos currently lead the league with 13 defensive holding penalties, including those that have been declined, eight of those assessed to the team's defensive backs. They have added nine pass interference penalties -- all nine from defensive backs -- to the pile and three illegal contact penalties.

(( and they are not even discussing the foolish roughing and unsportsmanlike play or any offensive penalty in the article ))

Many of those have simply been lapses in technique, a stumble here, a blown assignment there, but some have been a part of the bigger picture, a picture the Broncos are going to have to find a way to deal with as they move toward the postseason.

“That’s why it all has to work together, the rush and what we do on the back end,’’ Bailey said. “They need us to hold it so they can get to the quarterback and we need them to get those guys uncomfortable back there. Because now if you let the quarterbacks in this league, especially in the playoffs, stand back there and pick away at you, you can’t stop that. They’re too accurate and a lot of times the real experience ones will throw a ball not because a guy is open, but because they think they’re going to get a flag and a first down with it

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/3230/penalties-now-red-flags-for-broncos-dbs&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

And there you have it. This is what I'm talking about. It isn't that you have no talent...its about how you "COACH" the talent you have. How disciplined they are...are they in the right positions, situationally are they doing the right things.....sure sometimes your just going to plain get beat on plays...but dumb mistakes, unsportsmanlike conduct, bonehead penalties all fall on the coach imo. NE doesn't do this....do you think they have a "great" defense. Sure it was great at the start of the year but now its pretty avg talent-wise....its the coaching...and Denver is not well coached imo.

Coaching is the default criticism...whatever goes wrong its the coaching..

Denver might have more defensive holding penalties in the secondary because they are head a lot and people pass a lot on them

In today's NFL..defensive holding is not bad coaching..its the rules..

...But the truth is..Denver doenst have the safety, the corner, and the DT or DE they started the season with...

They've made some undisciplined plays but Denver is shorthanded defensively...we have to live with that and not look for a scapegoat..

with a 2-week break..hopefully they can play well enough to get by in the postseason at home.

THis road game at Houston is a concern now against a veteran QB