Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Thoughts, and a silver lining.

SilentHill

We got blown out today, @ CIN. Let me start by saying their is no moral victory here, and this loss really hurts our team.

The play calling, and coaching was extremely suspect in this game, and not to mention, as everyone knows the horrid officiating.

The first thing I wonder, is why are we not in 4 down territory in the 4th quarter down by 2 scores and 8 minutes to play? Why is that ball being punted? Furthermore why do you run a play designed to get 5 or 6 yards on 3rd down when you are not planning on going for it on 4th down?  Then, when you get the ball back, down by 3 TD and 6 min to go, you just concede that the game is over? Why? Why not take a shot? What was this all about? I was about to throw the remote through the TV. Also very poor use of time outs.

Second, WHY are we not taking our shots when we have man coverage to the outside with no help over top, one play comes to mind, where Fleener when in motion out wide right, and was in single coverage with a safety. Instead we took a dangerous short throw to Rogers for a 5 or 6 yard gain, Luck never even looked the way of Fleener, I'm not sure who's fault that is. Is it Pep's fault? Was Fleener the last option in the route tree by design? Or does Luck just not realize it's happening. Either way both of them need to step it up. If Luck see's this then need to let him throw it and exploit the match ups. At this point I'm fairly confident that Luck is just rolling with whatever the play call is from the sideline hoping it will work. He needs to change more plays at the line and take more control over the offense if this team is going anywhere.

The silver lining here is that we clinched the AFC South, and a home playoff game, most likely as the 4 seed. Bengals would have to lose 2 of the last 3 and we'd have to win 2 of the last 3 to swap places, I just don't see them losing 2 of the last 3. The patriots and the #2 seed are out of reach at this point I believe, unless they lost the last 3 and we win the last 3.

The real thing that amazed me was D Rogers. He was everything I expected him to be. consistently beating his man and getting separation. The real question is, why was our #1 WR on the practice squad until 3 weeks ago, and why wasn't he activated sooner?

The key here is that we have 3 weeks to get Luck to gel really well with Rogers. If he can make it happen and Rogers becomes the #1 WR that will open up the big play for TY and allow Brazill and Fleener to get more 1 on 1 match ups (which we are not taking advantage of).

Oh and one last thing. DHB should be placed on IR. I think his hand eye coordination is broken, surely that should land him on the injury report.

yea but 7 of those points were given to the bengals..so really we only lost by 7 and maybe a field goal

I suppose, but they would not have gone into a soft defense had the game been closer, so who's to say? (In other words, we may not have gotten that last TD)

A better measurement would be to ask, was the game ever in doubt for Cincy? Perhaps for a brief second after we scored two TD's in quick succession, it was. Once they answered with a TD of their own, the game was over at that point.