Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we learned this week, and what we can do to improve next week. (Live from LOS)

Legend of Luck

Hey everyone! My wife and I came from Dayton to spend the weekend here in Indy and watch the game.

I wanted to go over the things I saw (and didn't see) and have a discussion on how we can improve going into the Bengals game.

First, I wanna start with a question. I didn't get a chance to get a good look, but how did Linkenbach play in place of McGlyn? Most of the pressure I saw came from Castonzo and Thorton.

Things I noticed:

1. I thought our playcalling in the first few drives was great. Lots of misdirection and play action. As the game progressed, however, I was less impressed.

2. The only reason Luck held the ball so long was the receivers just couldn't get open. Coverage was tight all game.

3. Obviously, the O-line is awful. But the WORST player on the field today was DHB. A few drops, including the worst drop I've ever seen in the NFL. From that drive on, he did not play another snap unless it was to block. Rogers and Brazil played instead.

4. I see a lot of people mentioning how Rogers got that pass interference call, then didn't play much after that. I think I know why. Luck threw his way, and Rogers didn't look for the ball until right before it was near him. Could have easily been picked in that situation. I think the coaches noticed that and sat him for a bit.

5.The crowd was great today. Stepped up big on third downs. However, people are starting to get upset. I've been to 6 games in the last 2 years, and I've never heard this much negativity in the audience. They hate DHB (and rightfully so) but they were really jeering the coaches and Trent today.

I really loved the adjustments we made this week, so I want to know what you guys think we should do going into this week?

I think we need to bench DHB. If we can bench Trent, we can bench DHB too.

We need to give Rogers and Brazill more opportunities.

We need to continue the innovative play calling and work harder on getting T.Y. his touches.

With only 4 games left, Rogers will need to step it up at this point if he`s going to help the Colts. Kind of late in the season to be benching players like DHB and replacing with an unknown. The sooner the Colts can clinch the South the better, maybe use remaining games to get Rogers up to speed without falling in the playoff seeding? Donald Brown is clearly out performing TR so that's no big surprise.

With only 4 games left, Rogers will need to step it up at this point if he`s going to help the Colts. Kind of late in the season to be benching players like DHB and replacing with an unknown. The sooner the Colts can clinch the South the better, maybe use remaining games to get Rogers up to speed without falling in the playoff seeding? Donald Brown is clearly out performing TR so that's no big surprise.

Even if the Colts clinch, they still would have to win out essentially to get that #3 seed. And trust me, you don't want to drop to #4 and have Kansas City come in.

1.  Make the WR routes shorter

2.  More crossing routes

3.  If we are going to play DHB, use him on screens (like the one manning uses to thomas), and crossing routes to utilize his speed 

4.  Pep uses the 2 TE system so get saunders in the rushing/passing

5.  Hilton is better at wide out rather than slot

6.  More up tempo

7.  Make RB/TE do chip shots on pass rushers to slow them down

8.  more bunch formations

9.  Get Griff Whalen back into the line up

10.  Get RB into passing games

11. Don't throw it to DHB on 3rd down

12.  Threaten to fire members of the OLine

13.  Ask someone to help out Mathis on the pass rush and throw your damn hands up to bat down balls

P.S. You know your OLine is bad when Luck has to use constant snap count to keep pass rushers from killing him

1. Make the WR routes shorter

2. More crossing routes

3. If we are going to play DHB, use him on screens (like the one manning uses to thomas), and crossing routes to utilize his speed

4. Pep uses the 2 TE system so get saunders in the rushing/passing

5. Hilton is better at wide out rather than slot

6. More up tempo

7. Make RB/TE do chip shots on pass rushers to slow them down

8. more bunch formations

9. Get Griff Whalen back into the line up

10. Get RB into passing games

11. Don't throw it to DHB on 3rd down

12. Threaten to fire members of the OLine

13. Ask someone to help out Mathis on the pass rush and throw your damn hands up to bat down balls

P.S. You know your OLine is bad when Luck has to use constant snap count to keep pass rushers from killing him

I agree with most of this.

Even if the Colts clinch, they still would have to win out essentially to get that #3 seed. And trust me, you don't want to drop to #4 and have Kansas City come in.

Meh, at this point it would be either KC or the Ravens. I'm not really rooting for one over the other.

After actually watching the game instead of listening I was more pleased with the performance, except for the our guards and center. We don't have a true #1 or #2 WR, we basically have a small slot reciever and a big slot reciever( Hilton and DHB ) I dont see how I can really complain about how they're not getting open when they don't have time to get open. The only thing I see that we can do is use shorter routes in the passing game because I don't see the Oline improving.

Hey everyone! My wife and I came from Dayton to spend the weekend here in Indy and watch the game.

I wanted to go over the things I saw (and didn't see) and have a discussion on how we can improve going into the Bengals game.

First, I wanna start with a question. I didn't get a chance to get a good look, but how did Linkenbach play in place of McGlyn? Most of the pressure I saw came from Castonzo and Thorton.

Things I noticed:

1. I thought our playcalling in the first few drives was great. Lots of misdirection and play action. As the game progressed, however, I was less impressed.

2. The only reason Luck held the ball so long was the receivers just couldn't get open. Coverage was tight all game.

3. Obviously, the O-line is awful. But the WORST player on the field today was DHB. A few drops, including the worst drop I've ever seen in the NFL. From that drive on, he did not play another snap unless it was to block. Rogers and Brazil played instead.

4. I see a lot of people mentioning how Rogers got that pass interference call, then didn't play much after that. I think I know why. Luck threw his way, and Rogers didn't look for the ball until right before it was near him. Could have easily been picked in that situation. I think the coaches noticed that and sat him for a bit.

5.The crowd was great today. Stepped up big on third downs. However, people are starting to get upset. I've been to 6 games in the last 2 years, and I've never heard this much negativity in the audience. They hate DHB (and rightfully so) but they were really jeering the coaches and Trent today.

I really loved the adjustments we made this week, so I want to know what you guys think we should do going into this week?

I think we need to bench DHB. If we can bench Trent, we can bench DHB too.

We need to give Rogers and Brazill more opportunities.

We need to continue the innovative play calling and work harder on getting T.Y. his touches.

As for #4, after the PI Rogers first response was to YAK at the CB which sometimes draws the taunting flags so,,,,,,,