Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Exactly Did People See In This Years Team?

dn4192

Lets say the team overall is 100% healthy, I still didn't see this team doing much this year maybe winning 8 outside maybe 9. This team has way to many issues at key positions and some aging vets to have really been a team that could have contended to be a true Playoff contender. Sure they probably would have won the division, but even at 100% healthy they are not in the top 4-5 of the AFC this season let alone top 10 of the NFL. I would love to hear why colt fans thought that team was a contender given all the question marks it had going into this season.

This team scrapped out 10 wins last season. We are a much more talented roster than we have been the past couple of years with guys coming back from injury and having a few rookies who have made some contributions. (let alone we are running the ball mildly effetively) Add to that, I think our division has taken a step across the board, I think this was a team that should make another deep playoff push. Don't let the media's "The Colts Reign Is Over" talk make you forget that they have been saying that for 4 years and PM has led them to the playoffs every year. It will be interesting to see what the hope is next year. I think we are still the division favorites.

Last year we made it to the playoffs with a depleted team. We had injuries in the secondary, defensive line, offensive line, linebackers, tight end, and multiple injuries to our receiving corps. This year through the draft we've added offensive linemen to improve our pass protection and running game, and also a tough physical short yardage runningback to get more first downs on third and short. Also we drafted defensive linement to stop the run, helping to improve our run defense. Overall, without injuries, we had a lot to look forward to. Our secondary was still going to be a problem, but with a strengthened offense, we had a shot to outscore our opponents.

I would say there was a lot to be optimistic about.

We have a pieced together OL that consists of rookies and has been's who were and are struggling this year. We basically have 2 WR, with one getting up in age and the other very inconsistant. We have no real ability to mount any kind of serious running game on a consistant basis. On the defensive side, outside of maybe 2-3 players, we are outsized and out talented. Sure we would have won the division, but I don't see any way as this team presently is age/exepreience and contracts wise able to compete with NE, SD, Baltimore or even Pitts. This frachise has done a great job, it's time to begin to retool, restructure and rethink it's overall plan for the next 10 years. It's time to begin to say good bye to a number of present players at the end of this season and look to move on. They need to get bigger and develop the OL and bring in a pounding back.

We have a pieced together OL that consists of rookies and has been's who were and are struggling this year. We basically have 2 WR, with one getting up in age and the other very inconsistant. We have no real ability to mount any kind of serious running game on a consistant basis. On the defensive side, outside of maybe 2-3 players, we are outsized and out talented. Sure we would have won the division, but I don't see any way as this team presently is age/exepreience and contracts wise able to compete with NE, SD, Baltimore or even Pitts. This frachise has done a great job, it's time to begin to retool, restructure and rethink it's overall plan for the next 10 years. It's time to begin to say good bye to a number of present players at the end of this season and look to move on. They need to get bigger and develop the OL and bring in a pounding back.

I believe we almost beat Pittsburgh without Manning. With him, that game isn't even close. With Peyton healthy this team is at worst 5-1

With Manning 5-1 in a worst case scenario, and I wouldn't be shocked with 6-0, since he wouldn't give Houston the short fields with the fumbles Collins did and that is with the atrocious head coach & staff.

The Houston game would have been a shoot out, and we might have come up a bit short, but we win the other 5 games going away.

So in the end, 12 wins wouldn't be too much to ask. Give or take a game here or there, and a lot would depend upon the health of the players.

Division title, and who knows what could happen in the playoffs, stars could align and we make a deep run, or the defense might not get off the field, the offense gets limited possessions and we get sent home in the first game. You never know.

Edited by FIreJimmy

I understand your point and basically agree with you, but the question was why did we think the team was a contender, given that everyone was 100% healthy. I would argue that although Reggie Wayne is getting older, is still a very good receiver. If peyton were healthy as the topic suggests, Wayne would be having a good year, based on how he's currently playing with Painter. Garcon is inconsistant but has big play ability, however, Peyton would utilize his other assets a lot more. Austin Collie has dissapeared with Painter, and I contend that he would be very potent with Peyton at QB. He was starting to be his favorite target.

In your post, you have mentioned that we need to get bigger, and for the most part we have been drafting larger players over the past few years. You also mentioned that we need to develope the O-line. Well, drafting 2 O-linemen in last years draft would be a start. I've already mentioned the pounding back in Carter.

Given all this, I still contend that at the start of the year, we had a lot to look forward to. Now, not so much... other than to enjoy our team play, regardless of the outcome.

No reason we wouldn't have been 4-2 at the least so far into the season and a good bet to win this weekend. Manning is that good. I have always said, he could go to the worst team in the NFL and next season they would have made the playoffs. Tom Brady could go to that team and they would not be any different. Tom is good, but in his system.

I think a few injuries would have been avoided also. The defense being on the field so much, is hurting them. And with line protection that Manning would be giving out, he would have had a few extra seconds this year to throw and the line wouldn't be falling all over themselves and defenders.

We have a pieced together OL that consists of rookies and has been's who were and are struggling this year. We basically have 2 WR, with one getting up in age and the other very inconsistant. We have no real ability to mount any kind of serious running game on a consistant basis. On the defensive side, outside of maybe 2-3 players, we are outsized and out talented.

Sooo.... we have the exact same team we have had for the past 3 or 4 years... So 12 wins and a super bowl appearance is likely!!!

First, let me preface this with the old "you are what your record says you are." we're 0-6. That said, we've been in every game but Houston. Our last 4 games went down to the final minutes.

And what's with the OL hate? Despite being patchwork, they've been solid in run blocking and and have generally protected Painter pretty well.

Let's make no mistake, this team WAS built around Peyton. The line with Manning would be made to look all pro with his release and blitz call outs. Painter is getting better at both, but still misses on throws and lacks Manning's timing. In this offense that is a killer. The D looks worse than it really is, b/c the offense hasn't been able to sustain drives. Players wear down, injuries happen.

It all goes back to Manning. The D being on the field too long, b/c the OFFENSE can't stay on it, or has to settle for FGs. They're getting better at this but nowhere near if Manning were healthy. He simply makes players around him better on offense. With the exception of Garcon, the other WRs have been very down this year. Dallas had one better game but has been nowhere most of the year. Collie has had some great catches but is nowhere near his NFL leading stats last season (before the injury). Wayne is getting his, but again not near last year's stats. Painter is doing his best, but we all know he's no 18.

So yes, I do think we'd be 5-1 at worst right now. The offense clicking w/ 18, a better run D, the secondary would still be weak but with the offense moving up and down the field it wouldn't be exposed as much....