Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cjmcgirt23's Dream 2012 Draft

Now I know everyone is sick and tired of hearing about Andrew Luck and the speculation around him and us. I'm neutral on that matter and think they're are alot of both positives and negatives on that situation. However, in my "dream draft" we do NOT select Andrew Luck (I said not so calm down please). In my dream draft (I'm assuming we have the first pick, and If we don't win next week IMO we do) we trade with the Cleveland Browns and get there two 1st round picks, their 2nd round pick and a 2013 3rd round pick. I know you may think this is a little much for the Browns to give up but the Falcon's gave up alot for a player with not nearly as much hype as Luck and it wasn't the first pick, it was the 7th or 8th I believe. lol Anyways, and so we go.....

1st Round

7th pick overall: OT-Jonathan Martin~Stanford 6'6" 304 (Has been a solid blind-side protector for Andrew Luck. I believe he could instantly step in and be a solid contributor for our O-line. I believe he has a good combination of being an elite pass blocker and solid run blocker)

12 pick overall: WR-Alshon Jeffery~S. Carolina 6'4" 229 (A rare talent that doesn't come along that often. He doesn't possess elite speed but had tremendous size and hands. I believe, like Megatron, once he gets his route running down and can create even more seperation he will be a top 5 WR in the league)

2nd Round

39th pick overall: QB-Nick Foles~Arizona 6'5" 240 (Has great size and technique and I believe he would be a solid QB after learning from Peyton for 3-4 years)

44th pick overall:CB- Janoris Jenkins 5'11" 188 (IMO one of the top 3 CB in the draft, he will drop because of the issues he had at the UF. He has tremendous footwork and ball skills, has the ability to be a shutdown corner)

3rd Round

65th pick overall:OT-Mike Adams~Ohio State 6'8" 320 (One of the best OT in the draft, I believe he will be a little over looked because of the OSU scandals and allegations. I think he could come in and become a solid OG for years to come.)

4th Round

97th pick overall: OLB-Emmanuel Acho~Texas 6'2" 245 (Is a good combination of size and speed that fits the Indianapolis Colts mold of a LB)

5th Round

129th pick overall: S-Aaron Henry~Wisconsin 6'0" 210 (I think he'll fall a little bit because he likes to talk, I think we have the locker room for him though)

6th Round

161st pick overall: DT-Scott Vallone~Rutgers 6'3" 280 (A versatile DT that I believe will fall to the 6th round because of his size. I believe he could come in and be a Eric Foster type player. He could come in at DT on a pass rush situation and could play DE on a running situation.)

7th Round

193rd pick overall: LB-Joe Holland~Purdue 6'1" 229 (the hometown pick, the "story")

Now before you post your angry, disagreeing comments just remember this is my "DREAM Draft"

Edited by CjMcGirt23

Again, with the OT's. People, we just drafted 2 last draft. This is one time that I feel completely comfortable "guaranteeing" a 1st rd. OT will absolutely NOT happen. If you look at the history of Polian picks on WR's it's easy to see that Jeffery is not a Polian type guy.

That's why its MY dream draft. It may not be what actually happens but I think it would be a good , smart thing to do. Solidify our line for years to come.

Thats what I don't get though, how is it the smart thing to do when we just drafted 2 OT's with our 1st 2 picks this yr.? If the Colts are sure (and I think they are) that these 2 guys will be on our line for the next 10+ yrs., why would they use a 1st rd. pick for a backup?This is not the same as the QB situation where Manning may or may not be around for a few yrs. still.

That's why its MY dream draft. It may not be what actually happens but I think it would be a good , smart thing to do. Solidify our line for years to come.

And I agree with that thought...but like Balzer said, we already have our 2 OT's for the future in Ijalana and Castonzo. The area's we need to solidify are the interior with OG and C. They're saying Pollack (I believe) is already planned to be the replacement for Saturday. So then we're looking at the need to add 2 OG or 1 OG and 1 C. These positions don't typically get picked in the top 15 of the draft. Even the best C or OG could be available at the top of the second round. And when you look at it that way it turns out to be a good thing, because you can use that higher 1st round pick on a player at a different position, take a OG a little later but still get the best OG available. :)

Ijalana was projected to be moved to gaurd when he came out of the draft anyways. We need all the help we can get on our O-line can get. If we could draft Martin, move Castonzo to RT, and put Ijalana at LG we would be set.

Ijalana was never projected to be a guard by the Colts organization and they have said that multiple times. Plus it was said by some that if Ijalana had played in a bigger conference against better competition he would have been considered one of the best OT's in the draft.

I agree with Balzer that it was never a thought from the colts for him to play guard. Most of the time a person who has played tackle for 4 years in college won't be ready for the power of a NFL DT. It's kinda similar to the packers with Sherrod, they tried him at guard and got beat out easily. Then an injury happened and they put him in at RT and played great. Ijalana played pretty good at LT consideing it was his 1st game vs the Bucs. I saw him get beat a few times but he was still able to hold him off long enough for the QB to rid of the ball.

If you don't like the Martin pick, I would love to switch Martin with Vontaze Burfict but cmon that'll never happen. He would bring a nice intensity to our D though.

Hey, it's your Mock...you can put Burfict there. :) I put Manti Te'o (my personal fave MLB in the draft) on my mock but as much as I'd love to have him on the team but I don't really think they'll draft a LB in the first round. My only hope is he falls to the 2nd but I don't see it happening. In that regard, Burfict could be a possibility but I don't see them being interested in him.

My Dream Draft:

1. CB

2. CB

3. CB

4. CB

5. CB

6. CB

7. SS

Ah so

Dre Kirkpatrick - Best Cornerback

Stephon Gilmore - Rivals Kirkpatrick

Cliff Harris - Been stated as the best pure cover corner

Omar Bolden - High Energy player

Trumaine Johnson - Raw Skills very tall

Robert Blanton - Hometown Boy Notre Dame

Kelcie McCray - Pretty tall and second fastest timed 40 for safeties.

How come nobody talks about Xavier Rhodes? The dude had a great freshman year. I think he had 4 picks or something like that. Hes also 6-2, 215 Hes having another solid year but no picks/deflections (teams dont throw at him that much anymore). It says he could declare and be selected in rounds 2-3, if we get him he could be a steal.

How come nobody talks about Xavier Rhodes? The dude had a great freshman year. I think he had 4 picks or something like that. Hes also 6-2, 215 Hes having another solid year but no picks/deflections (teams dont throw at him that much anymore). It says he could declare and be selected in rounds 2-3, if we get him he could be a steal.

He's on my mock draft....sorta lol. I put at the top of the 2nd round a pick for best CB available. The name I put was Stephon Gilmore but I haven't had a chance to see Xavier Rhodes play.

A lot of people are dreaming up the Cleveland scenario, but why are they trying to get Andrew Luck? Is he a supreme talent? Sure. But they have their QB, Colt McCoy, who's proven to be pretty darned capable himself.

They will not be trading a bunch of valuable picks when those picks could be used to surround McCoy with the talent he needs to thrive.

A lot of people are dreaming up the Cleveland scenario, but why are they trying to get Andrew Luck? Is he a supreme talent? Sure. But they have their QB, Colt McCoy, who's proven to be pretty darned capable himself.

They will not be trading a bunch of valuable picks when those picks could be used to surround McCoy with the talent he needs to thrive.

Yeah for me it's more wishful thinking than anything. I don't see them making a deal for McCoy, but maybe they'll REALLY want either Jeffery, Kalil or Coples. If I were them there's no way I'd deal away the 2 first round picks, but then again they didn't exactly get to where they are now by making the most prudent personnel decisions. lol yeah, still though it's pretty much just wishful thinking. :)

Young players don't always get better. Some of them plateau, while others just get worse once teams have some film on them. Still, he could be a spectacular talent.

I'm curious about your opinion on something....how do you think the changes in rookie contracts will affect underclassmen when making the decision to come out or stay in college for another year. I would say that a guy like Rhodes is probably unlikely to come out, especially as a sophomore (not sure why but up till now I was thinking he was a Jr.) and same goes for Reuben Randle, LSU's WR. With the depth in talent at both CB and WR for the coming draft, these guys who are currently projected as mid-round picks would, imo, be more likely to stay in college to try to become a much higher pick next year..but I honestly have no idea how much the new rookie wage scale changes the amount of money they'd get. I know it puts serious limits on the higher drafted players but how does it affect the later round players?

I'm curious about your opinion on something....how do you think the changes in rookie contracts will affect underclassmen when making the decision to come out or stay in college for another year. I would say that a guy like Rhodes is probably unlikely to come out, especially as a sophomore (not sure why but up till now I was thinking he was a Jr.) and same goes for Reuben Randle, LSU's WR. With the depth in talent at both CB and WR for the coming draft, these guys who are currently projected as mid-round picks would, imo, be more likely to stay in college to try to become a much higher pick next year..but I honestly have no idea how much the new rookie wage scale changes the amount of money they'd get. I know it puts serious limits on the higher drafted players but how does it affect the later round players?

That's a good question. It's all a matter of what risk returning to college presents. I mean, sure, they have a great Junior/Senior campaign and climb the boards. That's the ideal scenario. There are risks of ending up like Adrian Clayborn, or Andy Katzenmoyer, however, where a poor Senior year can cause draft stock to drop. That's even worse.

I'm also a bit old-fashioned, in that I believe these players should pursue a college degree if they can. Pro sports careers are short, and the money can be easily mis-managed. Middle class folk talk as though athletes are spoiled babies, and they would simply save it for retirement in the same situation, but that's trash. We aren't in that situation, and we aren't faced with the things they face. They also stand to lose so much more by making one bad decision.

Anyway, those are my half-hearted thoughts for now. If a guy is an obvious talent who will go high (degree or not), then I'd say go. Now's the chance to make the most money. With a reduced pay scale (though $6 million a year is still pretty big), it becomes a tough decision. I just hope they surround themselves with good advisers, family, etc., who don't want a piece of their potential.

If I'm not mistaken, the pay drop off is a little less dramatic after pick 10 than it was before, but those at the top obviously won't get Stafford-like contracts.

Edited by doogansquest

In my dream draft (I'm assuming we have the first pick, and If we don't win next week IMO we do) we trade with the Cleveland Browns and get there two 1st round picks, their 2nd round pick and a 2013 3rd round pick. I know you may think this is a little much for the Browns to give up but

lol. little much? more like not enough. Luck is worth at least 1st round: 2012,2013,2014 & 2nd round: 2012, 2013. And even with that i'd still not trade him. Yes, he is speculated to be that good.

lol. little much? more like not enough. Luck is worth at least 1st round: 2012,2013,2014 & 2nd round: 2012, 2013. And even with that i'd still not trade him. Yes, he is speculated to be that good.

No he's not. He's a college QB in a system that showcases his talents, but he hasn't done anything at the NFL level.

No team in the world would give up that much for Luck; I'd bet they wouldn't have given that much for Peyton Manning or John Elway when they were coming out of college. The days of teams giving up 7 picks for a player - a la Herschel Walker - are long gone.

Oh, and if you WOULDN'T give up Luck for that many picks, you'd be a massive fool.

Edited by doogansquest

If you look at the history of Polian picks on WR's it's easy to see that Jeffery is not a Polian type guy.

I disagree. He went with Collie (6'1 - 6'2) and Garcon (6'0), 200 lbs and 210 lbs respectively, both at least 10 lbs heavier than most WRs he has drafted in the past (both Wayne and Gonzo were around 190 when they were drafted). Maybe all those years of Harrison being blown off the LOS by elite DBs in the playoffs made him change that philosophy gradually. Now that Chris Polian is drafting, they will not be afraid to take a bigger wideout if he has the intelligence and consistency. Jeffery runs good routes, reads coverages well, and gets open really good, one thing he does not do great is outrun defenders since he does not have 4.3 speed like Calvin Johnson. He might be a low 4.4 guy when the draft comes along. Hey, Larry Fitzgerald was a low 4.5 guy who could high point the ball real well, which is why he was drafted. Jeffery can high point the ball just as good, runs good routes, finds openings in zones and reads coverages well (that is important for the Colts since they will move the outside WR inside several times). I would compare him more to Larry Fitzgerald (or VJax) because of his speed not being as fast as Calvin Johnson. Here are some key notes on Alshon Jeffery which leads me to believe he will be a great fit for the Colts:

http://www.mockingth...-notes#comments

Edited by chad72

I disagree. He went with Collie (6'1 - 6'2) and Garcon (6'0), 200 lbs and 210 lbs respectively, both at least 10 lbs heavier than most WRs he has drafted in the past (both Wayne and Gonzo were around 190 when they were drafted). Maybe all those years of Harrison being blown off the LOS by elite DBs in the playoffs made him change that philosophy gradually. Now that Chris Polian is drafting, they will not be afraid to take a bigger wideout if he has the intelligence and consistency. Jeffery runs good routes, reads coverages well, and gets open really good, one thing he does not do great is outrun defenders since he does not have 4.3 speed like Calvin Johnson. He might be a low 4.4 guy when the draft comes along. Hey, Larry Fitzgerald was a low 4.5 guy who could high point the ball real well, which is why he was drafted. Jeffery can high point the ball just as good, runs good routes, finds openings in zones and reads coverages well (that is important for the Colts since they will move the outside WR inside several times). I would compare him more to Larry Fitzgerald (or VJax) because of his speed not being as fast as Calvin Johnson. Here are some key notes on Alshon Jeffery which leads me to believe he will be a great fit for the Colts:

http://www.mockingth...-notes#comments

haha, I was the first one to comment on that website.