Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seattle's Safety

Smonroe

I was wondering why it was a safety.  Here's a quote from the CBS Sports write up:

"The Seahawks also blocked a punt that bounced into the end zone and was recovered out of bounds for a safety."

That makes no sense, 'recovered out of bounds'.  You can't recover anything out of bounds.

I think it was a safety because a Seattle player was the last to touch it before it went out of bounds.  If a Colt would have touched it, would it have been a touchback?

After playing football a million years ago, and watching longer, you'd think I'd know the rule.  Someone enlighten me please!

If the ball is fumbled (in this case blocked) out of your own endzone, it's a safety.

Here's the portion of the rule that applies:

"The important factor in a safety is impetus. Two points are scored for the opposing team when the ball is dead on or behind a team’s own goal line if the impetus came from a player on that team.

Examples of Safety:

(a) Blocked punt goes out of kicking team’s end zone. Impetus was provided by punting team. The block only changes direction of ball, not impetus."

Did we provide the impetus, or was it the Seattle player who was trying to recover?  Yes, the original impetus came from the block. 

Kind of a moot point, I was just curious.  I think a case could have been made that the Seattle player provided the impetus.  I think it worked out, we stopped them on the next series, right?

I was wondering why it was a safety.  Here's a quote from the CBS Sports write up:

"The Seahawks also blocked a punt that bounced into the end zone and was recovered out of bounds for a safety."

That makes no sense, 'recovered out of bounds'.  You can't recover anything out of bounds.

I think it was a safety because a Seattle player was the last to touch it before it went out of bounds.  If a Colt would have touched it, would it have been a touchback?

After playing football a million years ago, and watching longer, you'd think I'd know the rule.  Someone enlighten me please!

it is only a touchback if the opposing team had possession of the ball after the blocked punt and then lost the ball before entering the endzone and the ball goes out of bounds in the endzone. does that make sense?

Seattle never posessed the ball before the silly SeaHawk slid out of bounds.

Had he stopped and pickedup the ball..(and he had time to do that) ..its a TD

You can recover a ball out of bounds just like you can catch a pass out of bounds.

Seattle never posessed the ball before the silly SeaHawk slid out of bounds.

Had he stopped and pickedup the ball..(and he had time to do that) ..its a TD

You can recover a ball out of bounds just like you can catch a pass out of bounds.

I'm with you until your last sentence.  Unless you're being facetious, then I agree that neither count.

I'm with you until your last sentence.  Unless you're being facetious, then I agree that neither count.

It's means recover. He still recovered it.  He just did it after he was out of bounds so it didn't count.  Just like if you catch a pass out of bounds.  You still caught the ball.  You were just out of bounds so it doesn't count.