Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

sick of big corporations

CantBeStopped

I live in northern indiana and indiana is the home of the colts! Now im stuck drivin 45 mins south to be able to watch the game. They think its ok to play a bears game instead of the colts. If i wanted to watch the bears i would move to freakin illinois. Sorry for venting guys and gals just sick of how large corps control everything!

Yesterday, I was talking with a Colt's fan who lives in South Bend.

He hates it that Bear's games are often aired over Colt's games, but he said that Bear's fans greatly outnumber Colt's fans in his area.

So, I think it is understandable that the station would want to air the game that pleases the majority of the watchers.  To me, that just sounds like good business.

I feel your pain, but that area is Bears country.

I'm sure there are Colts fans in southeast Indiana who feel the same way, but the majority of NFL fans there are Bengals fans.

It has nothing to do with "big corporations."  It's just geography.

I'm in NJ and we have a line more or less drawn across the middle of the State. North is the NY market, South is the Philly market - largely corresponding to how far the over the air signals travel. People 20 miles apart grow up with an entirely different life experience based largely on television. Obviously none of us live in either state. Of course both NY teams play in NJ, and I'm sure that their are people in the southern part of the state that root for them, but the idea of broadcasting those games down there instead of the Eagles is absurd. Similar parts of Northern PA is in the NY market, and DE is split between Philly and Washington, and CT is split between NY and Boston.

If Chicago and Indy are less than 200 miles apart, isn't it rational that they would draw a line somewhere in between? They aren't making decision based on who you pay your taxes to, it's by physical sphere of influence - and Chicago's is probably huge. Plus considering how long the Bears have been around, there are probably people there who have been Bears fans for decades before the Colts (or the OP) were there.

This has nothing to do with "large corporations". They are merely trying to please as many people as possible for the sake of advertising revenue. I don't pretend to know how they make decisions about areas that are far from teams, but in Northern Indiana the logic is pretty obvious, and the decision more than fair.

Its not more than fair im just as close to indy as i am to chicago. This is indiana. We have a team they should play the home team throughout the whole state

So what's fair to the decades long Bears fan's who live in the same area? Both can't be satisfied, that's what's wonderful about Directv.

Clearly parts of Indiana are literally the Chicago suburbs - where many people only live there BECAUSE of it's proximity to the city. It's the third largest Metropolitan area in the country - do you think that those people pay attention to anything in Indianapolis? Why should they?

You have to draw the line somewhere, and half-way in between is fair (not that I know precisely where they DO draw the line). All tv broadcasts are based on regional orientation. Where are your CBS/NBC/ABC network affiliates based? That's how they split the broadcasts of course, not by your specific address. I'm guessing they're not coming from Indy.

The state that you live in has NOTHING to do with this. The Colts aren't an army put on this earth to defend your honor, they are a source of entertainment whose value to you is significantly determined by how close you are to the stadium, and to the over-the-air TV signal. Frankly it's the fact that they show the Bears (or the Colts) in an area that - over time - creates the team loyalty in the first place. You turn on the tv, your watch whose on, and eventually you root for them. Before cable this was simply a fact of life. Things are more complicated now, but it's impossible for them to please everyone. The only thing that would be "more fair" for an area such as yours would be for the networks to regularly show both teams - such as they are obligated to do in NY. What likely prevents that from happening however is the teams themselves. They have their own areas of control and protect them enthusiastically. Even if this were actually about unfair "big corporations", it's not entirely clear which corporation is responsible.

Its all good i watched the game. Just had to drive 45 mins south to see it. Well worth it. Wat a great game!

Any complaints about the big corporations that made your car, the gas you put in it, the cable/satellite provider letting you see the game or the television manufacturer of the set you watched it on?

Not to belittle anyone from "the region"...but my family has a lake place up in northern Indiana. And many of the people are from near Chicago. They all THINK they are from Chicago, have that brash attitude, Bears flags everywhere, etc. Nevermind the fact that they are an hour's drive minimum from downtown Chicago...I realize that area has had Bears games on TV forever, but there are a lot more Colts fans up there now. My brother lived in Merriville for a year and there were plenty of Colts fans on game days (this was in 2005-06)

Its not more than fair im just as close to indy as i am to chicago. This is indiana. We have a team they should play the home team throughout the whole state

No offense, and I really don't mean to be argumentative, but by that rationale, the people of East St. Louis should get the Bears games because they live in Illinois.  

Geez you guys can be aweful harsh about things. I just.came to vent. Im wrong because i wont to be able to watch my home team in my own home? But yes big corporations ruin this country. When ones like GE profit 13 billion in one yeat and pay ZERO tax dollars somethings wrong. But hey, this isnt the time or place for that convo

Geez you guys can be aweful harsh about things. I just.came to vent. Im wrong because i wont to be able to watch my home team in my own home? 

Yes.

But yes big corporations ruin this country. When ones like GE profit 13 billion in one yeat and pay ZERO tax dollars somethings wrong. But hey, this isnt the time or place for that convo

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/04/warren-ge-pays-no-taxes/