Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still a contender?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

Okay so losing Allen, Thomas and Ballard hurt's our playoff/super bowl chances. More so, Thomas and Allen cause T-Rich replaces Ballard and is better. So let's say this trade works out and it opens up play action, makes us a little better in the redzone and the opposing defense has to account for somewhat of a running game. This makes Luck better and able to utilize his weapons (Reggie, TY, DHB, Fleener). Of course losing Allen hurts, but let's say Fleener steps it up. Also, losing Thomas hurts but the O-line isn't as much about one player as it is the whole. So maybe the O-line improves with familiarity and experience. So take all that into account, with also the defense being let's say slightly below average. Could we win 10-12 games, make the playoffs, and possibly make a run?

This forum seems to think we'll win like 8 games now and not make the playoffs. I see it differently. This is of course if Fleener steps it up and the O-line can be decent. 

What do you guys think?

Okay so losing Allen, Thomas and Ballard hurt's our playoff/super bowl chances. More so, Thomas and Allen cause T-Rich replaces Ballard and is better. So let's say this trade works out and it opens up play action, makes us a little better in the redzone and the opposing defense has to account for somewhat of a running game. This makes Luck better and able to utilize his weapons (Reggie, TY, DHB, Fleener). Of course losing Allen hurts, but let's say Fleener steps it up. Also, losing Thomas hurts but the O-line isn't as much about one player as it is the whole. So maybe the O-line improves with familiarity and experience. So take all that into account, with also the defense being let's say slightly below average. Could we win 10-12 games, make the playoffs, and possibly make a run?

This forum seems to think we'll win like 8 games now and not make the playoffs. I see it differently. This is of course if Fleener steps it up and the O-line can be decent. 

What do you guys think?

The personnel is not quite there yet which is to be expected given everything was blown up a year ago. I also have questions about the coaching. Not sure yet on Pagano and have to see how this new OC performs over the season.

What do you guys think?

Luck man;

We're looking at 9-7........I don't see us beating SF. Seattle or Denver...we split with Houston...

....at Cincy and at KC are tough matchups..

I like us to win all the rest..but we need to steal one of the 6 I mentioned here to be 10-6

No we are not contenders and I do not think we were one at the beginning of the season before the injuries.  We have some great pieces and building blocks, but we have to remember we are only really one season removed from being the worst team in the league.

We still have major question marks along the offensive line and on the defensive side of the ball. We need to beef up both sides before we will be true contenders.  Give Grigson another offseason and Luck another year of learning I think we could be legit contenders next year.

Trent better bring his A game and be a star running back though because that will hurt really bad if we blow a first round pick on him and he stays at 3.6 yards per carry.

What do you guys think?

Luck man;

We're looking at 9-7........I don't see us beating SF. Seattle or Denver...we split with Houston...

....at Cincy and at KC are tough matchups..

I like us to win all the rest..but we need to steal one of the 6 I mentioned here to be 10-6

Tough matchups indeed but Cincy and KC are reasonably winnable and a lot of people aren't going to agree with me but I think we win the Seattle game. Get an early lead and who knows what happens; their not the same on the road. Also, I don't think Harvin is back for that game (though he hasn't played yet, he gives them a boost all around)

I think we're a "In the hunt Wild Card" Team.  Meaning, we're not definite picks for the playoffs, but if the ball bounces our way a couple of games, we are in the playoffs.

This team is being built right.  We have playmakers, now we need to provide depth and keep filling holes with quality players, not necessarily studs, but guys who will flourish when they play next to our studs.  For example, how DHB and TY have flourished playing next to Reggie.

I think we have a lot of the right pieces. I think we could have personale that is good enough but several people have to step up and show some leadership and take their game to the next level. We don't have that consistant pass rusher...I'm not sure about our redzone threat with Allen gone (outside Wayne) and most importantly I don't know if the line will gel and protect Andrew and open up lanes for Trent. Its possible....I mean if 9-7 Giants etc can win its all about playing your best in the post season. I think we can make the playoffs...it will be tough but I think we can. My biggest concerns are with the coaching staff. I'm not sold on any of our coaches yet. I know how sentimental everyone is of Pagano and as a man he seems amazing but I just am not sure these guys will all make the right decisions and call the right plays in crunch time. We shall see.

Got take care of Jax and Tennesse twice......that's got to be 4-0 or we're at home for the playoffs

I think Tennessee has shown that won't be so easy. They won't just lay down...those will be tough divisional games imo. I certainly think we can win both but I wouldn't be shocked to split.

We're not a contender now. We weren't last season, either. (Despite our record.)

Decades of a swiss cheese defense and half a decade of a sieve for an O-line are the main reasons why.

I'll say this, though - anything is possible if you just make it to the playoffs. If you have a LOT of luck (and refs) on your side an inferior team can bang out 4 in a row. It's difficult for this to happen for us as, even if we got bounces and favorable officiating, our D still sucks.( Aside from the postseason 2006 miracle where they played like mad men 4 games straight.)

In 2006 we didn't have favored officiating, but it still took D and a bit of luck to win it all. If the Patriots weren't all fighting the flu who knows what would have happened. We also ran in to Rex Grossman in the SB. If the Bears had a legitimate QB threat to go with their D, it could have been much more interesting.

Even if we were fully healthy I still am not sure we're a superbowl team this year.  Maybe we would have been a playoff team and if lucky, a 2nd round team.  Give it another offseason.

We might be able to squeak a wild card. I think we'll be closer to 7-9 or 8-8, though. Last year we got a lot of bounces to finish with a good record.

If we get a wild card, there is always a puncher's chance in the playoffs. Hot/lucky/ref favored teams can beat technically superior ones. Not saying we'll get any of that,  but it's possible.