Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I didn't get to see the game so explain to me....

theanarchist

How we lost this game? I looked over the stat line and I still can't figure out how we lost. We converted more first downs. We converted more 3rd down attempts. Outgained them in total yards. Rushed for 133 and passed for over 300. We held them to right at 101 yard rushing. Turnovers were even with 1 each . They had 3 sacks we had 5. We had 3 penalties for 13 yards and they had none. Time of possession was almost even with us having a slight edge.

When you look at the box score it's a pretty even game. I thought Miami would definitely be challenge but it's hard for me to get a sense of why we lost this game. Most of the time you can look over the stats and something with stand out, more turnovers, time of possession, glaring penalties etc. But nothing here.

Hard to point to any single reason. There were many mistakes here and there, such as Luck's 2nd half INT that was just a bad decision on his part. However, I think the biggest reason we lost was actually the Phins two first half TDs being scored right out of the gate due to bad defense. That was a hole that the offense had to dig out of right away, and while they dug out of it they were unable to keep the momentum over the course of the entire game. That paired with the missed 52-yard field goal by the Colts on the 1st drive (instead of going for it on 4th-and-1) really set the tone for the rest of the game IMO.

i dunno how we lost for some reason we always seem to slow down second half dunno if thats cause we dont adjust good enough teams adjust better than us last 2 games second half hasnt been great  this is what was said on bleacher report but dunno if facts are right

Colts' Scoring by Half Under Chuck Pagano Year Games First Half Second Half Difference Average Diff. 2012 5 51 19 -32 -6.4 2013 2 31 10 -21 -10.5 Total 7 82 29 -53 -7.6

Scores from Pro-Football-Reference.com

As shown in the table above, the Colts' ability to score in the second half has been dramatically different from their first-half performances, something that is a glaring problem for a team that needs to be carried by their offense. 

The Colts have never scored more than seven offensive points in the second half when Pagano has been on the sidelines, which hints at a problem with either halftime adjustments or poor situational play-calling (or both). Under Pagano, the team's points-per-drive average drops from 2.46 in the first half (would have been second-best in the league in 2012) to 1.08 in the second half (would have been second-worst). 

The final thing that needs to improved after Week 2 is the Colts' short-yardage work. 

In 3rd-and-short (three or less yards to go), the Colts have been inconsistent, converting just four times on eight attempts. That 50 percent rate is good for seventh-worst in the league in 2013 and would have put the Colts at the same rank last season (they were actually had the sixth-highest rate in 2012).

For a team that preaches power running and being able to impose their will on the ground, they've struggled to do so when they most desperately need to. 

If the team is to pull off an upset in San Francisco, they will have to take advantage of those short third downs. 

Andrew Luck lost that game and nobody else IMO. That int was just dumb and uncalled for. And they were moving tge ball pretty easy at that time. And he had room to run for another 1st down or had a wide open Whalen. Just a horrible play

That Illegal shift andand huge drop by the TE were all pretty bad too, but that int just killed everything.

And the conservative playcalling when the Colts had the lead didnt help

I don't understand why people are saying the INT killed everything.

The illegal shift and missed field goal "killed everything." Even with that INT, they didn't score and we would have won.

Bad calls happen. The int was after the bad call. And it was just a horrible decusion that made

zero sense on 1st down. He passed up running opportunities on that last drive too. Andrew just looked clueless at the end of the gm.

It was the football gods levelling the Karmic playing field after our bonanza of good fortune last year.

Nah! We just didn't play well enough at some key points in the game.

Poor start by the defense.

Failure to execute by the offense in the 2nd half.

and Karma.

Scoring opportunities.

We kicked (and one time missed) FG's while they scored TD's; especially in the second half.

Agreed completely. It sounds like a cop out, but they simply just scored more. I feel we had the better team, they just got more TDs where we were left with field goals, and they got us on a couple big plays.