Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Geno Smith injures ankle in game

ReMeDy

Guest TeamLoloJones

Jets are doomed. Well, they were doomed anyway, but this certainly doesn't help things.

Hey Qwiz, Hopkins looked pretty solid tonight

Hey Qwiz, Hopkins looked pretty solid tonight

Yep, I was impressed but not surprised. He has been getting major praise from the coaching staff and his teammates. Guy is a stud, and it's only preseason so I hope his superb play transfers over to the regular season as well.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yep, I was impressed but not surprised. He has been getting major praise from the coaching staff and his teammates. Guy is a stud, and it's only preseason so I hope his superb play transfers over to the regular season as well.

As a rival fan, I cringed a little when you guys drafted him.  My draft board for 1st round receivers was down to just Hopkins and Keenan Allen.  Time will tell, but I think he was a great pick.

As a rival fan, I cringed a little when you guys drafted him. My draft board for 1st round receivers was down to just Hopkins and Keenan Allen. Time will tell, but I think he was a great pick.

So did I when you guys got 12 last year. :) It was like having to see PM all over again. I thought we would get Allen for sure but looks like Rick made the right decision going with Nuk instead. Well, that's how it looks early anyway. Allen will be seeing plenty of action as well this year due to the Alexander injury. I'm so ready for the season to start already.

Guest TeamLoloJones

So did I when you guys got 12 last year. :) It was like having to see PM all over again. I thought we would get Allen for sure but looks like Rick made the right decision going with Nuk instead. Well, that's how it looks early anyway. Allen will be seeing plenty of action as well this year due to the Alexander injury. I'm so ready for the season to start already.

I'f Keenan hadn't gotten injured, and had even halfway decent quaterback play in college, he would have gotten more attention and been a top 15 overall pick.  That kid is special.  But I understand why most gm's were hesitant.  My biggest hope is marqise lee gets forgotten this year with no competent qb at usc.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I said from the start Cordarelle Patterson was the best wr in this past draft....Nooooooo, some people didn't believe me and bought into the Keenan (slower, body catcher, is not as quick out of his cuts on routes) hype.

I watched as much Keenan tape as I could, hype is the opposite of what he got.  He is the most fundamentally sound reciever in years.  Great hands, great route runner, not explosive, not fast, but extremely smart, and a true team guy.  Sounds like a slightly taller reggie wayne if you ask me.  And don't tell me Robert Woods is a better comparison to Reggie, that right there is hype.

I still don't see Allen as being much more than a mid-round caliber, solid-yet-unspectacular WR. I never saw the playmaking ability to justify the hype he got. That doesn't mean I don't think he has starter potential, but I didn't see a Pro Bowl caliber talent that a receiver rated as a high 1st rounder has to have. He has the makings of a solid 8-10 year guy and could be a great fit as a #2, blue-collar WR. 

I watched as much Keenan tape as I could, hype is the opposite of what he got.  He is the most fundamentally sound reciever in years.  Great hands, great route runner, not explosive, not fast, but extremely smart, and a true team guy.  Sounds like a slightly taller reggie wayne if you ask me.  And don't tell me Robert Woods is a better comparison to Reggie, that right there is hype.

No, Woods isn't a better comparison. But Allen has questionable hands(Ill find his NFL Draft breakdown to prove it, give me a few )......I question how smart he is at this point (although he did say he was sorry and he is young...But come on thats a common sense if your a football player ya dont do) pic taking a picture of himself in a Raiders hat of all the hats to take a picture in.

I still don't see Allen as being much more than a mid-round caliber, solid-yet-unspectacular WR. I never saw the playmaking ability to justify the hype he got. That doesn't mean I don't think he has starter potential, but I didn't see a Pro Bowl caliber talent that a receiver rated as a high 1st rounder has to have. He has the makings of a solid 8-10 year guy and could be a great fit as a #2, blue-collar WR. 

I saw a posession wr

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'm not trying to agrue with anyone about how they rate guys.  You all are smart people and everyone has there own player evaluating metrics. I don't pay attention to any other analysts opinions or draft boards.   I make all my decisions based on what I personally see.  I'm no professional or claim to be.  But I saw three WRs in college football last year I want on my team.  Marqise Lee, Keenan Allen, and DeAndre Hopkins...in that order...

Guest TeamLoloJones

Cordarelle patterson has some wicked talent but i'm not wasting two seasons to teach a guy how to run routes if i could draft one of those 3 guys instead

I'm not trying to agrue with anyone about how they rate guys. You all are smart people and everyone has there own player evaluating metrics. I don't pay attention to any other analysts opinions or draft boards. I make all my decisions based on what I personally see. I'm no professional or claim to be. But I saw three WRs in college football last year I want on my team. Marqise Lee, Keenan Allen, and DeAndre Hopkins...in that order...

Sammy Watkins?

I said from the start Cordarelle Patterson was the best wr in this past draft....Nooooooo, some people didn't believe me and bought into the Keenan (slower, body catcher, is not as quick out of his cuts on routes) hype.

Patterson is a slower DHB with slightly better hands.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Sammy Watkins?

I should clarify...you tell me I have a 1st rd pick to use on a receiver this year (or next year in the case of Marqise Lee)...those are the only 3 I would consider...after the first round a few more guys pop up

I should clarify...you tell me I have a 1st rd pick to use on a receiver this year (or next year in the case of Marqise Lee)...those are the only 3 I would consider...after the first round a few more guys pop up

Watkins is arguably better than Lee, but I won't argue with your opinion.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Watkins is arguably better than Lee, but I won't argue with your opinion.

I have a hard time not putting Lee up very high...I watched games last year where he just completely took over.  When Barkley was hurt or ineffective, against competitive secondaries, even when he was completely doubled and triple covered (see USC vs. Arizona State) he could not be stopped.  And I know its hard to believe this about a USC guy, but he's very football smart and very unselfish player.

I have a hard time not putting Lee up very high...I watched games last year where he just completely took over. When Barkley was hurt or ineffective, against competitive secondaries, even when he was completely doubled and triple covered (see USC vs. Arizona State) he could not be stopped. And I know its hard to believe this about a USC guy, but he's very football smart and very unselfish player.

I agree, Lee is a beast and will rightfully be the first WR taken in the draft next year, but I just found it odd you didn't put Watkins on your list. As someone who watches a lot of Clemson games, he's way more talented than Hopkins is.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I agree, Lee is a beast and will rightfully be the first WR taken in the draft next year, but I just found it odd you didn't put Watkins on your list. As someone who watches a lot of Clemson games, he's way more talented than Hopkins is.

Honestly, Hopkins is why I'm holding out on Watkins...Hopkins convinced me he will be a great player, I want to see Watkins play without Hopkins.  I know people with say but Lee had Woods on the other side, but that actually makes my agrument for me.  Woods was crowned pre-season all word best reciever, but by the end of the season Woods almost fell off the map.  Not that woods did much to deserve that, he should be a solid guy as well.  But when Lee started to really shine, his talent dwarfed Woods in a major way.  I need another year of ball from Watkins, but Lee has already conviced me he should be a top 5 pick.

Patterson is a slower DHB with slightly better hands.

Better at being deceptive out of his breaks on routes. He is also listed as running a 4.33 at the Combine, I actually forget what he ran and I deleted it off my DVR for upcoming Colts games

Guest TeamLoloJones

Better at being deceptive out of his breaks on routes. He is also listed as running a 4.33 at the Combine, I actually forget what he ran and I deleted it off my DVR for upcoming Colts games

I feel nervous about critiquing Patterson cause he's one of those guys that could just explode and make me look like an *.  But I'm not convince he's ever going to develop into that guy.

He's also better at pushing off when down the field. Something that he'll get flagged for in the NFL. Also, he's not going to be lined up off of the LOS as much as he was at Tennessee.

And he ran a 4.42 at the combine. DHB ran a 4.25.

Honestly, Hopkins is why I'm holding out on Watkins...Hopkins convinced me he will be a great player, I want to see Watkins play without Hopkins. I know people with say but Lee had Woods on the other side, but that actually makes my agrument for me. Woods was crowned pre-season all word best reciever, but by the end of the season Woods almost fell off the map. Not that woods did much to deserve that, he should be a solid guy as well. But when Lee started to really shine, his talent dwarfed Woods in a major way. I need another year of ball from Watkins, but Lee has already conviced me he should be a top 5 pick.

You think that Hopkins took the pressure off of Watkins? It's the other way around lol.

But I agree, if Watkins wants to challenge Lee for the top spot, he'll need anither year like his freshman one.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If DHB doesn't work out, and maybe even if he does, I would sell the farm to get Lee next year.  Much like how Atlanta went after Julio.

Guest TeamLoloJones

That would also mean the rest of our FAs would have to work out too so we don't have any gaping holes, and could afford to make a deal like that.

Guest TeamLoloJones

You think that Hopkins took the pressure off of Watkins? It's the other way around lol.

But I agree, if Watkins wants to challenge Lee for the top spot, he'll need anither year like his freshman one.

Sorry, but Hopkins vs. LSU in the Chick-Fil-A bowl last year was nothing short of magical.  If Watkins ever puts on a performance like that, then I would gladly agree with you.

I feel nervous about critiquing Patterson cause he's one of those guys that could just explode and make me look like an *.  But I'm not convince he's ever going to develop into that guy.

I agree with you. 

I'd feel better if he went to a team with an actual NFL QB and a couple successful veteran WR's to learn from. It's Jennings' first year in Minnesota, but Patterson needs to spend as much time under his wing as possible. CP's a talented player that I think needed to be put in a certain situation in order to reach his potential, and I'm not sold that Minnesota's the situation to maximize his raw ability.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I agree with you. 

I'd feel better if he went to a team with an actual NFL QB and a couple successful veteran WR's to learn from. It's Jennings' first year in Minnesota, but Patterson needs to spend as much time under his wing as possible. CP's a talented player that I think needed to be put in a certain situation in order to reach his potential, and I'm not sold that Minnesota's the situation to maximize his raw ability.

Exactly. Just like Julio in Atlanta. He was a little raw, but playing under Roddy White, and with Matty Ice chuckin him the rock he's going to be a superstar.

Sorry, but Hopkins vs. LSU in the Chick-Fil-A bowl last year was nothing short of magical. If Watkins ever puts on a performance like that, then I would gladly agree with you.

Watkins vs Auburn in 2011: 10 catches , 155 yards and 2 TDs. Hopkins had a few more catches, but Watkins averaged more YPC and had a higher percentage of yards after the catch.

Regardless though, 1 game shouldn't dictate whether one player is better than another. I think that most people who have seen a significant amount of Hopkins and Watkins would agree that Watkins is much more talented. But the draft is still a long way away anyway. Lots of stuff can change in between now and then.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Watkins vs Auburn in 2011: 10 catches , 155 yards and 2 TDs. Hopkins had a few more catches, but Watkins averaged more YPC and had a higher percentage of yards after the catch.

Regardless though, 1 game shouldn't dictate whether one player is better than another. I think that most people who have seen a significant amount of Hopkins and Watkins would agree that Watkins is much more talented. But the draft is still a long way away anyway. Lots of stuff can change in between now and then.

Did you just compare Auburn in '11 and Lsu in '12? WOW...haha jk...I was just referencing the LSU game because if you saw that game live Boyd and Hopkins just put that game on their backs and made some unbelievable plays to win that game.  If you didn't see it, I would try to go back and see it somehow.  Not to prove my point or anything, that was far and away the best college game I saw last year, and maybe the best in a few years.

Did you just compare Auburn in '11 and Lsu in '12? WOW...haha jk...I was just referencing the LSU game because if you saw that game live Boyd and Hopkins just put that game on their backs and made some unbelievable plays to win that game. If you didn't see it, I would try to go back and see it somehow. Not to prove my point or anything, that was far and away the best college game I saw last year, and maybe the best in a few years.

haha no, I was just comparing the production of both of them. Hopkins game was definitely special though.

He's also better at pushing off when down the field. Something that he'll get flagged for in the NFL. Also, he's not going to be lined up off of the LOS as much as he was at Tennessee.

And he ran a 4.42 at the combine. DHB ran a 4.25.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124669&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

Not sure why NFL Draft Scout has him listed as running a 4.33....Even if he didn't he clearly is is fast game speed wise

Guest TeamLoloJones

haha no, I was just comparing the production of both of them. Hopkins game was definitely special though.

Don't worry though, Watkins is definitely on my radar for this year.  Great discussion Dustin, have a good night. :blueshoe: