Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

day one report

CR91

Walden - Werner - Ricky Jean-Francois - Drake Nevis is a very interesting front line.

A very quick front line (well, maybe not Drake, haha).  Someone help me out here - I

know it's just the first day of training camp and it's not to say it would really ever happen,

but when would that possibly ever be used?

Good to know Griff is having a good start to camp.  Can't wait until they put the pads on

so i can get some info on Josh Chapman.

Walden - Werner - Ricky Jean-Francois - Drake Nevis is a very interesting front line.

A very quick front line (well, maybe not Drake, haha). Someone help me out here - I

know it's just the first day of training camp and it's not to say it would really ever happen,

Yeah I had the same question. I have no idea what the upside to that formation is.

Yeah I had the same question. I have no idea what the upside to that formation is.

the article did mention how the NTs were no where to be seen so it could have been just a fill in type formation because I cant picture werner as a DT.

Hopefully Thornton is gonna back soon and there's nothing serious with his foot. Good to hear Kelly was catching balls. Anxious for pads though. That's when we'll really see who's impressing.

the sooner mcglynn is out of the starting lineup the better.

Uh oh, I had Rumble making my final 53 roster. Had a rough practice today. Hope he gets that together.

Even though I only picked him to make the roster cause I liked his name and I figured we would cut Brazill haha

Well, its pretty clear now that we aren't cutting Brazill, but Whalen and Palmer seemed to both have good first days, so there is always the chance that there isn't room for Brazill after week 4. I have a hard time believing that there are two WR that could keep him off of the roster after suspension, but that's just my opinion. Whalen has looked great every time he has hit the practice and preseason field, but Brazill just looks the part more, to me.

Rumble still has time to make an impression... I hope he has better practices in the future.

the article did mention how the NTs were no where to be seen so it could have been just a fill in type formation because I cant picture werner as a DT.

Maybe, but it still doesn't make sense really. They could have used RJF and Nevis as DTs and used Werner and Mathis as DEs. Or even Werner and Walden. The way the line is organized is weird. It's basically: DE-DE-DT-DT. Kind of strange.

Maybe, but it still doesn't make sense really. They could have used RJF and Nevis as DTs and used Werner and Mathis as DEs. Or even Werner and Walden. The way the line is organized is weird. It's basically: DE-DE-DT-DT. Kind of strange.

We've been doing a lot of talking about the read option lately. I saw that kind of alignment as a potential way to stack the playside with defensive tackles, and then put ends on the backside to watch the quarterback. Would be a good way to run the scrape/exchange on the backside. It could also be a way of overpowering a bootleg attack on the playside. Same idea.

But that's kind of gimmicky, and it's easier for the offense to move the running back to the other side of the play and flip your alignment on you.

I could see us using four ends in a passing situation, but having two ends on one side and two tackles on the other seems like something else entirely.

A very quick front line (well, maybe not Drake, haha). Someone help me out here - I

Good to know Griff is having a good start to camp. Can't wait until they put the pads on

so i can get some info on Josh Chapman.

That's just a passing downs formation as far as I am concerned.

We've been doing a lot of talking about the read option lately. I saw that kind of alignment as a potential way to stack the playside with defensive tackles, and then put ends on the backside to watch the quarterback. Would be a good way to run the scrape/exchange on the backside. It could also be a way of overpowering a bootleg attack on the playside. Same idea.

But that's kind of gimmicky, and it's easier for the offense to move the running back to the other side of the play and flip your alignment on you.

I could see us using four ends in a passing situation, but having two ends on one side and two tackles on the other seems like something else entirely.

Unless they were stunting heavily with the DE's filling the holes between the DT's with the DT's playing more of an angle upfield to take on 2 blockers to allow the DE's to penetrate an open gap. That formation baffles me as well and why it would be used other than as you stated; bootlegs/read-option.

My Son and I were there yesterday . The practice looked real good to both of us. What really caught my eye was the special team coach. He was out there talking and showing players were they was to be and how they was to move. This is only my 3rd time at TC. But was very impressed by how the coach was out there working with the players hands on. If this gets our ST going in the right way.that will be great.