Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fastest Defense In The League

chad hugo

After last weeks game , I am totally assured that our defense is probably the fastest in the league! I mean sure we missed some tackles but I saw some quIck recoveries by other players. IMO it starts with d.Freeny and r.Mathis, who are and should be the fastest duo ends in the L right now. What I want to know is which other teams actually come close to colts speed? Jets?

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm pretty sure that it's always the Colts goal to have the fastest defense in the league. That's how they're drafted and built.

It's when there NOT the fastest defense in the league that we have problems.

After last weeks game , I am totally assured that our defense is probably the fastest in the league! I mean sure we missed some tackles but I saw some quIck recoveries by other players. IMO it starts with d.Freeny and r.Mathis, who are and should be the fastest duo ends in the L right now. What I want to know is which other teams actually come close to colts speed? Jets?

First off, I don't know that this is accurate anymore. Phil Simms was in the booth for the Colts v. Packers preseason game and he commented on how when he used to do Indy games, the speed of the Colts D' was noticeable. In doing that game, he said that did not look to be the case any longer. Freeney & Mathis are fast/quick but past that...

Secondly, I have no idea how you quantify that to begin with.

Well fortunately the guys who have been brought in over the past 2-3 years have a much better combination of size/speed than the guys Dungy brought in. They're no where near as "undersized" as the Colts D used to be.

I think we are headed in the right direction in terms of being bigger, with the additions of Brayton and Anderson. But what baffles me is playing 265 lbs Eric Foster as DT on 2nd and short or should I say running downs that makes no sense to me, I can understand 3rd and long (he has some pass rush ablility) but on 1st down i dont get it. He should only be in pass rushing situations.

I think this year, we've given up some speed for size/strength. We're a better defense for it.

Whether we're still the fastest defense in the league... who cares? I just care that we're finally stopping the run on a consistent basis.

Hey, me too! I'm finally happy with our D, enough to buy a defensive jersey! BETHEA baby!

I think we are headed in the right direction in terms of being bigger, with the additions of Brayton and Anderson. But what baffles me is playing 265 lbs Eric Foster as DT on 2nd and short or should I say running downs that makes no sense to me, I can understand 3rd and long (he has some pass rush ablility) but on 1st down i dont get it. He should only be in pass rushing situations.

This I definitely agree with but as of right now I would attribute it more to lack of depth than anything. I can only assume they're not seeing enough improvement in either Ogbu or Matthews (assuming they're still on the PS) to bring them to the active roster yet. I'm hoping beyond hope that this is the last year we see Foster at DT. Really, aside from Freeney and Mathis, Foster is the last remaining leftover from the undersized Dungy days.

I think this year, we've given up some speed for size/strength. We're a better defense for it.

Whether we're still the fastest defense in the league... who cares? I just care that we're finally stopping the run on a consistent basis.

Could not agree more. This is why I have always felt that if anyone held the Colts back over the years, it wasn't Polian or Irsay, it was Dungy. Dungy is the man who wanted 215-225 lb linebackers and 260-280 lb DTs. With the front 7 we have now I truly believe we would have more than just 1 SB win. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Colts' success over the years but I do believe Dungy held them back more than he helped them.

How do you determine that to be factual?

Actually I take that back... since 2006 we've been the fastest D. On average, MIKE linbackers are generally pretty slow. Gary Brackett is one of the fastest linebackers. Gilbert Gardner who played most of the year was quick. We have Freeney and Mathis, two of the quickest D-lineman in the league HISTORY. We had Antoine Bethea, Mike Doss and Bob Sanders, all quick players, and Kelvin Hayden who is fast too. We're just generally faster than most teams at DL, and at LB, and that's what makes us the fastest.

I'm iffy on this "fastest defense in the league" thing. From what I see, our corners and safeties aren't that fast. Our secondary has (in my opinion) average speed. And don't come out with the 40 times of all of the secondary players, there's a difference between football fast and track fast. We may have the fastest front 7, but our secondary doesn't have blazing speed from what I've seen

I'm iffy on this "fastest defense in the league" thing. From what I see, our corners and safeties aren't that fast. Our secondary has (in my opinion) average speed. And don't come out with the 40 times of all of the secondary players, there's a difference between football fast and track fast. We may have the fastest front 7, but our secondary doesn't have blazing speed from what I've seen

Aside from Bethea I fully agree, though Lefeged did look much faster than what we've been used to at SS. I'm very curious to see what either he or Caldwell can do. After one game, I give the edge to Lefeged but we'll clearly get a much better idea as the season progresses. :)

Aside from Bethea I fully agree, though Lefeged did look much faster than what we've been used to at SS. I'm very curious to see what either he or Caldwell can do. After one game, I give the edge to Lefeged but we'll clearly get a much better idea as the season progresses. :)

Bob Sanders was fast...

Besides the Houston game were they destroyed us in the run game for about two and a half quarters, I've been impressed with us being able to stop the run. Now, just to work on the corners...

Honestly the Houston game wasn't as bad as it looks on the surface. Yes the Colts gave up over 150 yards, but that was on close to 50 carries. Houston was still held to 4.1 yards per carry which is still an improvement over anything we saw last year. :)

Definitely agree on the CBs. We need to find out what Johnson, Rucker and Thomas can do so we know how hard we need to hit the CB position in the draft.