Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DHBs Height-Adjusted Speed Score.

Dustin

So while I was doing some mundane research I came across a statistic known as "Height-Adjusted Speed Score".

It turns out that this formula is a variation of the Running Back speed score; only it's for WRs.

For those who aren't familiar with this formula; it basically factors in the players weight in conjunction with his 40 yard dash to determine a number that is referred to as speed score.

If you can bare the crappy font, here's a page that shows notable speed scores from RBs:

http://40-yard-dash-times.com/speed-score-running-backs.html

The formula I came across is a variation of that basic concept, only for Wide Receivers:

The basic tiers for the Height-Adjusted Speed Scores:

120+ being complete physical dominance

110+ being excellent

~100 being a solid draftable score.

Top HaSSs since 1999:

1. Calvin Johnson (143)

2. ?

3. Vincent Jackson (131)

4. Darrius Heyward-Bey (129)

5. Julio Jones (127)

While obviously this doesn't necessarily correlate with on the field ability, it still drives home the point of how much of a physical freak DHB is and how ridiculously high his ceiling is. If he can learn to become a complete receiver, his potential is limitless.

Sources:

http://moneyinthebananastand.com/2012/04/24/dominator-rating-height-adjusted-speed-score-and-wr-draft-rankings/

http://moneyinthebananastand.com/2012/08/18/using-dr-and-hass-to-predict-wr-breakouts/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/04/02/fantasy-reaction-darrius-heyward-bey-signs-with-indianapolis/

It took a couple years to adjust to the NFL, but from everything I've read he's been underrated and his drops have been overblown. Even though I didn't care so much about getting a WR this offseason, this is my fourth favorite signing. I really like that we got a different kind of WR than we've been accustomed to; the sub 6' guys. He's definitely got the body to be a legit #1, and now he has the tutelage of a future HOF in Reggie to help him out. I could see big things out of him this year, and a longer/better contract come next year.

I'm not sure what reference you mean.

The various articles reference DHB as #4 but I can't find the actual list. The links you list are for draft picks or other players. I'm trying to find the list of current WRs with DHB on it.

I wasn't able to fine an actual list. Only the rankings they referenced in some of their posts.

The various articles reference DHB as #4 but I can't find the actual list. The links you list are for draft picks or other players. I'm trying to find the list of current WRs with DHB on it.

http://moneyinthebananastand.com/2012/04/24/dominator-rating-height-adjusted-speed-score-and-wr-draft-rankings/

In the 3rd paragraph on this link under the header, "Height-Adjusted Speed Score" is where I got the ranking for Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson and Julio Jones from. It only has the 1st, 3rd, and 5th receiver on there for some reason.

In case you’re wondering, since 1999 the No. 1 HaSS is by Calvin Johnson (143). No. 3 is Vincent Jackson (131). No. 5 is Julio Jones (127), and No. 6 will show up in these rankings.

This second link (http://moneyinthebananastand.com/2012/08/18/using-dr-and-hass-to-predict-wr-breakouts/) references DHB's score and rank in the third paragraph.

o give another sense of the way in which Height-adjusted Speed Score can be handy, we only need to look at Darrius Heyward-Bey. Al Davis was right to be criticized for taking an unaccomplished receiver so early in the draft, but he may get the last laugh from beyond the grave. DHB’s 129 is the fourth best HaSS ever.

Hope that clarifies.

I wasn't able to fine an actual list. Only the rankings they referenced in some of their posts.

In the 3rd paragraph on this link under the header, "Height-Adjusted Speed Score" is where I got the ranking for Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson and Julio Jones from. It only has the 1st, 3rd, and 5th receiver on there for some reason.

Yeah, I can't find the actual list either. You'd think since it's referenced in all those articles that they'd have a link to it.

Interesting though, and it seems to make sense.

This second link (http://moneyinthebananastand.com/2012/08/18/using-dr-and-hass-to-predict-wr-breakouts/) references DHB's score and rank in the third paragraph.

Hope that clarifies.

Maybe there is a chance he resurrect's his career with us.

I've always thought of Oakland as a sort of black hole where people who might have been stars end up not living up to their potential.  Quite frankly, I think Al Davis ran them into the ground.  

I wonder what Tatoo's adjusted speed was at the Fantasy Combine....when running from local talent.Was it wind aided like the sprinters?  I am willing to bet Tatoo's adjusted speed was close to a cheetah....or at the very least Tony Siragusa.

He would have made a super slot receiver...and would never miss "Da Plane...Da Plane...."

1+fanta.jpg