Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You don't draft a Guard in RD1 or a CB! OLB , RB, DE Period!

I don't wanna hear Warford or Rhodes again.....Or the word Mauler are we trying to be the Trent Dilfer ravens??? We have the next GREAT QB and we want maulers??? Maybe on D yes and we have a few already, now we need athletes and playmakers on both sides....What playmakers on both sides should we take in rds 1 and 3??? We can go G and C in rds 4-7..The only DB I want is Matheiu or Ray Ray Armstrong in the 4th or 5th...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't really matter what you want to hear. Pagano has already said he wants to run the ball and stop the run. Grigson said he wants to build the best O-line in the NFL when he was 1st hired. The key to a successful team is being strong in the trenches. The Bill Polian way was to build the skill positions and fill the trenches with scrubs and it killed us when the playoffs came around. You may not like it, but Grigson and Pagano vehemently disagree and so do many fans, including myself. 

I would rather draft an OLB that can pass rush in 1st and there are several in draft that can be big play makers.Agree a G that is top talent will not be at 24 have to wait til later for G and C.I would like OLB 1st CB 3rd Dion or Mingo :)

I wish Dion Jordan would be there, but he will be top 5, 6-6 with speed to rush and the ability to cover he will be a star in this league for years....Mingo or Jones, or Hunt on D, if we go Offense I'd like to see Hunter at wr because of his size and speed, Lacy because of his combo of power and speed and he would be a great combo with Ballard, or Hopkins who I'm on the fence about, he could be a Reggie Wayne type or he could be a Mohamad Mossoquoi which scares me..Receiver isn't a need because I think DHB will flourish with luck , but Hunter intrigues me...You saw what Jacoby Jones did when he had the opportunity and Hunter reminds me a lot of him...I think a hybrid rush OLB/DE Hunt, Mingo, or Jones would make the biggest impact because we have no one with their skill set on the roster unless Hughes improves out of nowhere...Datone Jones would be acceptable too as he has more talent than any of the other traditional DE's or DT's we have right now...

It doesn't really matter what you want to hear. Pagano has already said he wants to run the ball and stop the run. Grigson said he wants to build the best O-line in the NFL when he was 1st hired. The key to a successful team is being strong in the trenches. The Bill Polian way was to build the skill positions and fill the trenches with scrubs and it killed us when the playoffs came around. You may not like it, but Grigson and Pagano vehemently disagree and so do many fans, including myself. 

Wouldnt an ex Professional O-line player want the best O-line for his team:)

We have added plenty of guys for the trenches already, to much turnover on the line isn't good, you will be surprised the difference Thomas and Cherilous make and Satele is solid and McGlynn as well...Reitz, Justice, and Linkenbach were terrible..Ilajana will show up this year as well....Go guard and center in later rounds...Why take the ball out of Luck's hands??? Doesn't make sense?? We have a glut of maulers on the d-line now and we needed it, but the only speed playmaker we have is Mathis and he's old...I don't expect much from Hughes....RB is IMPORTANT FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! Has Maurice Jones Drew taught you people anything....We need a back like that....

Taking one of historically and presently biggest weaknesses in the first is dumb but taking an overrated RB isn't. Got it.

+1. I haven't made it any secret that I despise the thoughts of taking a RB in the 1st rd., but more and more teams are also not drafting 1st rd. RB's. RB's are a dime a dozen and easily replaced, most teams don't even consider 1st rd. RB's now unless there is just some crazy talented guy available. 

Hey I get not drafting an RB in the first round.  And I would say there is some value in waiting til rounds 2 or 3 in general to get guards.  Although I wouldn't be categorically against a guard in the first round.  But a CB, OLB, or DE??  You realize that in the pass first and pass heavy offenses that are in the NFL, one of the best ways to win the game is to shut down your opponent's passing game. . . 

So if the need arises it makes sense to me to draft a DE, OLB, or CB in the first round.  

Well, imagine if those Trent Dilfer Ravens teams has a elite QB.....

Well, imagine if those Trent Dilfer Ravens teams has a elite QB.....

They didn't though so they spent there money on other areas....They did have PREIST HOLMES THOUGH...????? And they had Ray Rice this year and the 49ers had a guy named Frank Gore who has always been good even before the 49ers built the best line in football so you can't say that is why he is good...

Did you mention McGlynn and solid in same sentence?

Did you mention McGlynn and solid in same sentence?

McGlynn is the definition of mauler which is what you want to draft??? Not great in pass protection but can improve...

We have added plenty of guys for the trenches already, to much turnover on the line isn't good, you will be surprised the difference Thomas and Cherilous make and Satele is solid and McGlynn as well...Reitz, Justice, and Linkenbach were terrible..Ilajana will show up this year as well....Go guard and center in later rounds...Why take the ball out of Luck's hands??? Doesn't make sense?? We have a glut of maulers on the d-line now and we needed it, but the only speed playmaker we have is Mathis and he's old...I don't expect much from Hughes....RB is IMPORTANT FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! Has Maurice Jones Drew taught you people anything....We need a back like that....

RB's are a very low valued position now days. I've heard it from more than just a few NFL GM's on ESPN and NFL network. They are easily replaceable. You say Reitz, Justice, and Link were terrible, but then said McGlynn is solid. That is laughable. Justice was decent and Link was the best guard we used all yr.. Plus he's able to play tackle, although he;s not very good at tackle. I also won't be surprised at all that Thomas and Cherilus will make the line better, but we still need another guard and it will not surprise me at all if we draft Warmack, Cooper, or Warford if any are available when we pick. It also won't surprise me if we draft a WR or an OLBer, but to just say teams don't pick a guard or a CB in the 1st rd. is just nonsense.

Hey I get not drafting an RB in the first round.  And I would say there is some value in waiting til rounds 2 or 3 in general to get guards.  Although I wouldn't be categorically against a guard in the first round.  But a CB, OLB, or DE??  You realize that in the pass first and pass heavy offenses that are in the NFL, one of the best ways to win the game is to shut down your opponent's passing game. . . 

So if the need arises it makes sense to me to draft a DE, OLB, or CB in the first round.  

Last year yes take a cb, but we have added Vontae Davis, Greg Toler, and Butler since then....You want to invest a 1st in a guy who might play nickel or be the 4th CB when we have a buch of thumper slow linebackers like angerer, connor, but No dynamic LB"s with speed other than Mathis and he is 33?????

Trent Dilfer Ravens? You mean, erm, a Super Bowl winning team? Seeing as what we have now at QB is far better than Trent Dilfer, then yes obviously I'd very much like the rest of it to be 2000 Ravens-esque. Why do you say that like it's a bad thing? 

McGlynn is the definition of mauler which is what you want to draft??? Not great in pass protection but can improve...

There is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING about McGlynn that would make one consider him a mauler. The guy got knocked back and on his butt more than any other lineman we had last yr.. He is the epitome of terrible. He did play better at center, but was just awful at guard.

Ok now I narrowed it down

1.your very young and have no idea what your talking about or

2.your trolling

RB's are a very low valued position now days. I've heard it from more than just a few NFL GM's on ESPN and NFL network. They are easily replaceable. You say Reitz, Justice, and Link were terrible, but then said McGlynn is solid. That is laughable. Justice was decent and Link was the best guard we used all yr.. Plus he's able to play tackle, although he;s not very good at tackle. I also won't be surprised at all that Thomas and Cherilus will make the line better, but we still need another guard and it will not surprise me at all if we draft Warmack, Cooper, or Warford if any are available when we pick. It also won't surprise me if we draft a WR or an OLBer, but to just say teams don't pick a guard or a CB in the 1st rd. is just nonsense.

We need a rush linebacker I wouldn't put all my faith in Mathis and he could get hurt....LACY is and will be elite he is better than Richardson who was drafted 3rd last year and will be a pro bowl back...I'll trust Polian when it comes to running back, he did draft Thurman Thomas and Edgerrin James and find Dominic Rhodes outta nowhere, and he has Lacy as a top ten talent..The only rb he has ever been wrong about was brown and I can see how that could happen, but he is fool's gold...Addai didn't exactly suck either so I'll trust the 6 time executive of the year when he says a running back is special....I'm not saying to take a rb to take a running back, but Lacy and even Gilislee in the third can be special...Ballard is good but will never be elite.

Uhmmm McGlynn was ranked 79th out of 81 guards in run blocking grades according to Pro Football Focus. Just throwing that out there.

Trent Dilfer Ravens? You mean, erm, a Super Bowl winning team? Seeing as what we have now at QB is far better than Trent Dilfer, then yes obviously I'd very much like the rest of it to be 2000 Ravens-esque. Why do you say that like it's a bad thing? 

When you have a Ferrari you don't drive it like a pickup truck as all I'm saying...The big mauler slow down game is what teams do that don't have an all-time great qb...We have speed all over the place at receiver and a good back in Ballard if you add Lacy thunder and lightning.... So, would you rather win 21-13 or open it up and win 56-13???

We need a rush linebacker I wouldn't put all my faith in Mathis and he could get hurt....LACY is and will be elite he is better than Richardson who was drafted 3rd last year and will be a pro bowl back...I'll trust Polian when it comes to running back, he did draft Thurman Thomas and Edgerrin James and find Dominic Rhodes outta nowhere, and he has Lacy as a top ten talent..The only rb he has ever been wrong about was brown and I can see how that could happen, but he is fool's gold...Addai didn't exactly suck either so I'll trust the 6 time executive of the year when he says a running back is special....I'm not saying to take a rb to take a running back, but Lacy and even Gilislee in the third can be special...Ballard is good but will never be elite.

I'm not disputing Lacy's talent, I'm just saying we do not need him. We need a better O-line still and like I have said time after time, The O-line is the key to a good running game and not an elite talent at RB. Virtually any college RB can be successful if he has good blocking up front for him. Teams know this and is the reason why so many teams use a RB by committee system instead of having a featured back. 

+1. I haven't made it any secret that I despise the thoughts of taking a RB in the 1st rd., but more and more teams are also not drafting 1st rd. RB's. RB's are a dime a dozen and easily replaced, most teams don't even consider 1st rd. RB's now unless there is just some crazy talented guy available. 

Thats why a guy like Lacy who would be top 10 in the past will be available and when else are you gonna get a truly elite backs....I believe Lacy is elite period, and if we draft him all the naysayers will be buying his jersey when he is running wild on teams and opening up the passing game for luck..

I'm not disputing Lacy's talent, I'm just saying we do not need him. We need a better O-line still and like I have said time after time, The O-line is the key to a good running game and not an elite talent at RB. Virtually any college RB can be successful if he has good blocking up front for him. Teams know this and is the reason why so many teams use a RB by committee system instead of having a featured back. 

What if you have a great line and an elite back??? Then what??? Why have a great line and a good back if we can have a great back? Our line is much improved already and we can address it more next year in the draft and FA , we don't have to do it in 1 year...That gives us the ability to go BPA in the draft...Also there are some good Guards still available in free agency that would still improve us more this year such as Brandon Moore and Eric Winston and we still have plenty of cap space around 9 million...

My computer was down for a bit and quite frankly I am glad.  I was going to be the first to go after this post with vengeance  :)

If Rhodes is there at 24 we get him IMO....whether anyone wants to hear it or not.  I still want BIGS....by BPA....Jesse Williams....or an OL that falls.

This is the 3rd or 4th time today someone has said we should draft a center....What in the world is the matter with you folks?  We have 3 on the roster.  One is disguised as a Right Guard who supposedly has a mean streak  :funny:

Hunt: A freak of an athlete without a definitive position....not going to be a Colt.

The OP writes this "The only DB I want is Matheiu or Ray Ray Armstrong in the 4th or 5th..."  Just say no to bench pressing and the Honey Bee.

RB is NOT a need....Ballard ran through and flew over tacklers....NO early picks on backs.  

I sure am glad Grigson and Pagano are studying film.  The draft is 21 days away......I am ready to put all of this mock craziness behind us....so we can argue over WHO we actually selected  :spit:

Go  :pass:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!!!

So what you're saying is that there's no where to go but up? haha

Walden was ranked last in stopping the run and rushing the quarterback if you wanna go by that....lol, I'll trust Grigson and he is keeping McGlynn right??? So he must see something? I thought he was solid run-blocking from what i saw, his stats probably suffered when he blocked for Brown cause he couldn't find a hole if he had a guide dog...

Walden was ranked last in stopping the run and rushing the quarterback if you wanna go by that....lol, I'll trust Grigson and he is keeping McGlynn right??? So he must see something? I thought he was solid run-blocking from what i saw, his stats probably suffered when he blocked for Brown cause he couldn't find a hole if he had a guide dog...

McGlynn was awful at run blocking.  The majority of our effective runs were to the left.  In fact they were to the left with AC at LT, Link at LG and AQ Shipley at center if you want to be precise.

The best McGlynn played was when he filled in at center 1 game...he had to be focused on line calls.

What if you have a great line and an elite back??? Then what??? Why have a great line and a good back if we can have a great back? Our line is much improved already and we can address it more next year in the draft and FA , we don't have to do it in 1 year...That gives us the ability to go BPA in the draft...Also there are some good Guards still available in free agency that would still improve us more this year such as Brandon Moore and Eric Winston and we still have plenty of cap space around 9 million...

If we already had a great O-line and were in better shape in a couple other area's that would be one thing, but we are not set at O-line or a couple other postions. Therefore, it is better to find better value with another position. BTW: Eric Winston is a tackle, not a guard.

Actually Walden was 7th among LBs in run stopping percentage according to Football Outsiders

My computer was down for a bit and quite frankly I am glad.  I was going to be the first to go after this post with vengeance   :)

If Rhodes is there at 24 we get him IMO....whether anyone wants to hear it or not.  I still want BIGS....by BPA....Jesse Williams....or an OL that falls.

This is the 3rd or 4th time today someone has said we should draft a center....What in the world is the matter with you folks?  We have 3 on the roster.  One is disguised as a Right Guard who supposedly has a mean streak  :funny:

Hunt: A freak of an athlete without a definitive position....not going to be a Colt.

The OP writes this "The only DB I want is Matheiu or Ray Ray Armstrong in the 4th or 5th..."  Just say no to bench pressing and the Honey Bee.

RB is NOT a need....Ballard ran through and flew over tacklers....NO early picks on backs.  

I sure am glad Grigson and Pagano are studying film.  The draft is 21 days away......I am ready to put all of this mock craziness behind us....so we can argue over WHO we actually selected  :spit:

Go  :pass:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!!!

Just say know to a 6-4 raw safety with insane size, speed, and power who will blow people up in the later rounds? How did drafting big DB's based on potential work for the Seahawks???? SMH...We have 3 Jessie Williams on our roster already, we have 1 good back and 1 good rush linebacker???? And Polian knows nothing about running backs? Why not sign Winston Or Moore on the cheap to instantly upgrade at guard instead of using a 1st rd pick on a guard??

McGlynn was awful at run blocking.  The majority of our effective runs were to the left.  In fact they were to the left with AC at LT, Link at LG and AQ Shipley at center if you want to be precise.

The best McGlynn played was when he filled in at center 1 game...he had to be focused on line calls.

They were to the left because we had no RT!! McGlynn played left and right guard and center....

If we already had a great O-line and were in better shape in a couple other area's that would be one thing, but we are not set at O-line or a couple other postions. Therefore, it is better to find better value with another position. BTW: Eric Winston is a tackle, not a guard.

Once again he plays both.....

Actually Walden was 7th among LBs in run stopping percentage according to Football Outsiders

Pff had him dead last so thats how much stock u can put in that..

Just say know to a 6-4 raw safety with insane size, speed, and power who will blow people up in the later rounds? How did drafting big DB's based on potential work for the Seahawks???? SMH...We have 3 Jessie Williams on our roster already, we have 1 good back and 1 good rush linebacker???? And Polian knows nothing about running backs? Why not sign Winston Or Moore on the cheap to instantly upgrade at guard instead of using a 1st rd pick on a guard??

Brandon Moore 65 | Guard
NEW YORK JETS

2012 INJURIES DATE POSITION INJURY STATUS 12/30/2012 G (foot, hip) Probable 12/23/2012 G (hip, foot) Probable 12/17/2012 G (hip) Probable 12/9/2012 G (hip) Probable 12/2/2012 G (hip) Probable 11/22/2012 G (hip, foot) Probable 11/18/2012 G (hip) Probable 11/11/2012 G (hip) Questionable 10/28/2012 G (hip) Probable 10/21/2012 G (hip) Probable 10/14/2012 G (hip) Probable 10/8/2012 G (hip) Probable 9/30/2012 G (hip) Probable 9/23/2012 G (hip) Probable 9/16/2012 G (hip) Probable 9/9/2012 G (hip) Probable           _____________ (((((((((((((Maybe Moore is nicked up more than we thought only 1 team dolphins have looked at him.Iwas wondering why he was still in Fa myself