Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polians grades for free agents we signed

wabbwubb

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been on this board quite awhile, and trust me the feelings toward Polian was not always so lopsided. "In Polian we trust" was was a common refrain on this forum. Irsay is just currently reaping the benefits of bold decisions that worked.

that's so true. most people on these forums over react to everything. how many people here wanted albert haynesworth? he was the answer to the colts dt needs. how about nomdi asomugha? the answer at corner. all the other fan answers that would have destroyed the colts. love dungy, then hate him. that's why the title is fan and not gm.

Guess who was Ernie Accorsi's boss?? Bob Irsay...and evidently John Elway didn't believe in him as owner. You act as though Elway rebuffed the colts because they were down and went to a great team in the broncos.

And for you to claim Elway has no honor is just childish...and reeks of, once again, bitterness.

And Bill Polian's boss was Jim Irsay, not the Jim Irsay of present, but the Jim Irsay of 1998 ! Manning could have looked at the Colts record in Indy and in Baltimore and said no thanks, but he did the right thing. Look how bad the 49ers had been recently under Denise and John York. Supposed Kapernick was a spoiled brat like Elway, and refused to go there because of the Yorks. Elway's daddy also didn't like Frank Kush, Colts coach at the time, because he was a rival coach of his out west. It was a sad tale of a selfish guy .

And Bill Polian's boss was Jim Irsay, not the Jim Irsay of present, but the Jim Irsay of 1998 ! Manning could have looked at the Colts record in Indy and in Baltimore and said no thanks, but he did the right thing. Look how bad the 49ers had been recently under Denise and John York. Supposed Kapernick was a spoiled brat like Elway, and refused to go there because of the Yorks. Elway's daddy also didn't like Frank Kush, Colts coach at the time, because he was a rival coach of his out west. It was a sad tale of a selfish guy .

i don't think kapernick had many options. he wasnt a number one overall pick

We all know he was never going to play baseball

Accorsi advised Bob Irsay that Elway was bluffing. They should have let the spoiled brat play for three years on the Yankees A league affiliate. He would have found out the hard way like Michael Jordon, and the Colts would have been the better for it. Another reason not to like George Steinbrenner !

i don't think kapernick had many options. he wasnt a number one overall pick

I know, but you know the point I'm making. Players can use a million excuses to not play for a losing team. If you let them get away with it, like spoiled Elway, teams like the Colts, or whoever, could never get a chance to rise up from the bottom of the division.

Think of it this way, Earl Weaver only won one World Series with the Orioles, yet he was beloved, and we put up a statue for him. Polian was a pretty dog gone good GM who made some mistakes, but had you guys in contention for many years. I think the Orioles could have won more Championships in those years, but you need some luck also. It's hard to win Championships. It beats being the Lions !

4 likes in a row and he makes an Orioles reference. someone may just get a friends invite. ;)

I agree with what you are saying 100% but I prefer to make the Tim Cook analogy. Apple did good for a year or so without Jobs but stock is at $420 from $700 in the time since Tim has had a chance to make it his own.

Going to the playoffs last year with a -16 TO differential and PF < PA was a fluke and I can guarantee it we're in for a HUGE dose of reality. Thats not being bearish, thats being realistic.

Additionally I like how you defended yourself from the "irsay hater" comments. I agree that Polian did more for this organization than Robert ever did. While Jim isn't quite Bob, I think both have tainted the organization in their own way. We know Bob put the first curse on the organization when he moved the team from Baltimore to Indy. I think Diamond JIm placed the second one on us when he cut the GOAT. Irsay gets credit for hiring Polian and for drafting Andrew Luck (which I think was entirely his move...a qualified GM would have drafted ___ ).

And Bill Polian's boss was Jim Irsay, not the Jim Irsay of present, but the Jim Irsay of 1998 ! Manning could have looked at the Colts record in Indy and in Baltimore and said no thanks, but he did the right thing. Look how bad the 49ers had been recently under Denise and John York. Supposed Kapernick was a spoiled brat like Elway, and refused to go there because of the Yorks. Elway's daddy also didn't like Frank Kush, Colts coach at the time, because he was a rival coach of his out west. It was a sad tale of a selfish guy .

You do realize that these people do meet and then form opinions of one a other? I would bet the Jim irsay gave manning assurances that polian was now in charge...in fact I highly doubt Polian would have taken the job if that was not the case. And manning did look at the record....bill polian's record.

You can continue insulting Elway, but the guy made the right decision...whether you will ever admit it or not.

I know, but you know the point I'm making. Players can use a million excuses to not play for a losing team. If you let them get away with it, like spoiled Elway, teams like the Colts, or whoever, could never get a chance to rise up from the bottom of the division.

Oh please....it rarely happens...and when it has it's been the teams own doing.

4 likes in a row and he makes an Orioles reference. someone may just get a friends invite. ;)

I agree with what you are saying 100% but I prefer to make the Tim Cook analogy. Apple did good for a year or so without Jobs but stock is at $420 from $700 in the time since Tim has had a chance to make it his own.

Going to the playoffs last year with a -16 TO differential and PF < PA was a fluke and I can guarantee it we're in for a HUGE dose of reality. Thats not being bearish, thats being realistic.

Additionally I like how you defended yourself from the "irsay hater" comments. I agree that Polian did more for this organization than Robert ever did. While Jim isn't quite Bob, I think both have tainted the organization in their own way. We know Bob put the first curse on the organization when he moved the team from Baltimore to Indy. I think Diamond JIm placed the second one on us when he cut the GOAT. Irsay gets credit for hiring Polian and for drafting Andrew Luck (which I think was entirely his move...a qualified GM would have drafted ___ ).

Very excited about those Orioles this year ! Luck was definately the right pick. The key is going to be what Grigson can surround him with.

You do realize that these people do meet and then form opinions of one a other? I would bet the Jim irsay gave manning assurances that polian was now in charge...in fact I highly doubt Polian would have taken the job if that was not the case. And manning did look at the record....bill polian's record.

You can continue insulting Elway, but the guy made the right decision...whether you will ever admit it or not.

The guy made a selfish decision , in my opinion. Your comments about Jim Irsay are conjecture. I'm sure Elway did what he always did best, do what was best for John Elway. What he didn't think about was what was right for the NFL, and the effect of his decision on the drafting process.

i think i remember george steinbrenner offering him a big contract at the time. comparable contracts, one in a sport where there is a much greater risk of injury?

They should have let him go to the Yankees. Accorsi later said that he had heard from sources, that this baseball deal was a complete bluff by Elway. Irsay panicked, and made one of the worst blunders in NFL history. However, he shouldn't have been put in that situation. Elway even had the gall to tell the Colts not to pick him, or he wouldn't come. Can you imagine Manning telling that to Jim Irsay ? My god, they would have had to take Ryan Leaf !!!

The guy made a selfish decision , in my opinion. Your comments about Jim Irsay are conjecture. I'm sure Elway did what he always did best, do what was best for John Elway. What he didn't think about was what was right for the NFL, and the effect of his decision on the drafting process.

Of course it's conjecture...but so are your opinions about Elway...you don't know why and how he came to his decision.

Of course it's conjecture...but so are your opinions about Elway...you don't know why and how he came to his decision.

I've quoted some of the facts, and the source was former Baltimore Colts GM , Ernie Accorsi. You can also go back and look at some of the statements of John Elway, and his father Jack, at the time. As much as this was the final nail in the coffin of the Baltimore Colts, trust me, I didn't like the Eli Manning fiasco with the Chargers. Both he, and daddy Archie, were wrong also. Who will ever forget the dopey look Eli had on his face with the Chargers jersey, until the baby got his way, and a trade to the big market Giants. Both daddies were involved in these fiascos, which they probably did the same thing during their youth sports careers. At some point, you have to cut the cord, and be a man !

I've quoted some of the facts, and the source was former Baltimore Colts GM , Ernie Accorsi. You can also go back and look at some of the statements of John Elway, and his father Jack, at the time. As much as this was the final nail in the coffin of the Baltimore Colts, trust me, I didn't like the Eli Manning fiasco with the Chargers. Both he, and daddy Archie, were wrong also. Who will ever forget the dopey look Eli had on his face with the Chargers jersey, until the baby got his way, and a trade to the big market Giants. Both daddies were involved in these fiascos, which they probably did the same thing during their youth sports careers. At some point, you have to cut the cord, and be a man !

Dear god, I give up.....

Why would you think they will win more than eleven this year? Last year was a miracle. The Colts were outscored on the season, they had a QB who led the NFL in turnovers, they had a QB who had one of the worst QB ratings and completion percentages in the NFL..... I hope he will be better this year with better protection and a slightly better supporting class. Before everyone says his completion percentage was bad because of drops. Reggie Wayne caught everything he saw including some miracle catches.....

Experience is huge.

We were a very young team last year with a lot of square pieces being fit into a circular hole.

I don't know how we can't be better than last season with a weak schedule this year.

Very excited about those Orioles this year ! Luck was definately the right pick. The key is going to be what Grigson can surround him with.

Yes I am excited about those O's as well. We went to Baltimore to see them play the Yankees for first place late in the 2012 season. Ironic because I live in NY now.

I like Luck as well. NFL is a trendy - copy cat league. Always has been about trying something new to challenge the current status quo. The new trend is a the spread along with the option and legs are important in a passer now more than ever. Its good to have a bruiser that can take a hit and still break off for a first. One could argue that the smarter gm was John Schneider. ;)

You really should respect Elway just because he was smart enough snatch up Peyton. He has guaranteed a legitimate shot at the super bowl for the next 3 years at least.

Yes I am excited about those O's as well. We went to Baltimore to see them play the Yankees for first place late in the 2012 season. Ironic because I live in NY now.

I like Luck as well. NFL is a trendy - copy cat league. Always has been about trying something new to challenge the current status quo. The new trend is a the spread along with the option and legs are important in a passer now more than ever. Its good to have a bruiser that can take a hit and still break off for a first. One could argue that the smarter gm was John Schneider. ;)

You really should respect Elway just because he was smart enough snatch up Peyton. He has guaranteed a legitimate shot at the super bowl for the next 3 years at least.

I think the Orioles are underrated again , and will surprise alot of people. I do think Elway made a nice move by snatching up Peyton, and I would give him credit for that. Honestly though, how would Elway feel as a GM, if he had a top pick , and that guy was refusing to come to Denver because he didn't like Bowlen, the altitude, or the city ? I would like to put him in the same position he put Ernie Accorsi, and to me, that would be poetic justice. We got some matter of revenge when he was up in his suite smirking because he thought that Denver had won. I only wish I could have been there myself when Jones caught that ball and streaked to a touchdown. He may have screwed Baltimore, but he screwed Indy also, because Irsay would have left whether Elway came there or not. Elway was another reminder of the dismal last years, and demise of the great Baltimore Colts.

This is my first post. I've lurked here for a bit, but seeing this thread forced me to create an account to give my 2 cents.

Pollian was a great offensive minded GM. He led buffalo to 3 consecutive super bowls before coming to Indy. He completely transformed this team. While here we had only two losing seasons I think and all the others at least 10 wins usually 12 or more.

He had some major faults. We had that killer offense but struggled with the salary cap due to Peyton, Marvin, and Edges salaries. Also him and Dungy had this horrible theory that creating a defense with under sized but quick above average speed no name players was this magic formula to compensating for spending ALL the money on the offense and it proved time and time again that DEFENSE wins championships.

yes, peyton has a record of choking in the playoffs, but if he had even just a decent defense (often times we had the last rushing d in the league in early 2000s and bad pass d) maybe he wouldn't have felt that the outcome of the game rested SOLELY with him. If he could feel that it wasn't the end of the world to not score a touchdown 100 percent of the time and not feel pressure from having to kick a fg or getting the other team in bad field position. Knowing the defense might stop the other team or force a takeaway. But with a defense as cruddy as ours, we had to win an offensive shoot out and punting was not an option. just my theory,.

So yes Bill had his faults, but heres what he did do

1 championship

2 super bowl appearances

8 Divison champion ships

9 or 10 playoff appearances 

drafted arguably the best qb wr duo in history (thee best in regular season by far)

drafted THE GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME (at least statistically you cant argue with that, but for those of you that think football is just a one man show and the qb plays all 22 positions ok he doesnt have as many rings as montana or brady)

i'd say we were in just a little bit better shape after he came then before he came but just me ....