Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

10 Million Signing Bonus for OT Gosder Cherilus

haseo15

the signing bonus isn't the only thing that matters. how is the base salary distributed? if it's heavily back loaded the last two years, it's a great deal. you can't comment on any contract until you see ALL the details.

you back load contracts to protect yourself if the player gets hurt or doesn't meet expectations. they can be cut and save money. if they turn out to be above expectations, you don't mind paying them.

it looks like i was right on the money. 14.5 million base the last two years. so if he sucks and the colts cut him after two years, the colts would have a 6 million cap hit and then nothing else. the two years would have cost them 16.5 million. if he turns out to be a top rt, he has a 6, 9, and 9.5  million cap hit the last three years. pretty good contract, and i would think the other ones are similar. this is why you have to be patient and see the breakdown of the cantract before jumping off the bridge.

Cap rules..

Gosder's last 2 years are not guaranteed..obviously..and those years are at $9 mil...

If he plays 3 years and we cut him...does the $9 mil hit go away....?

If so....there's no problem with this deal...is there...?

the cap hit is 9 and 9.5, base salary is 7 and 7.5 million.

if he is cut after the 3rd year it is a 4 million cap hit instead of 9 if he is on the roster.

• 2 weeks later...

Patriots re-sign OT Sebastian Vollmer (4 years, $27 million): A+ Grade

This is unbelievable. Gosder Cherilus, who isn't even in the same stratosphere as Sebastian Vollmer, earned $34 million over five years from the Colts. By comparison, Vollmer is a huge steal.

It's actually a great deal regardless. Vollmer was the No. 1 right tackle on the market and a key part of Tom Brady's protection. The Patriots had to retain him, so getting him back for just $27 million over four seasons is a terrific move. What makes it even better is that the base salary is worth only $17 million.

By walterfootball.com

This is unbelievable. Gosder Cherilus, who isn't even in the same stratosphere as Sebastian Vollmer, earned $34 million over five years from the Colts. By comparison, Vollmer is a huge steal.

It's actually a great deal regardless. Vollmer was the No. 1 right tackle on the market and a key part of Tom Brady's protection. The Patriots had to retain him, so getting him back for just $27 million over four seasons is a terrific move. What makes it even better is that the base salary is worth only $17 million.

By walterfootball.com

Walterfootball is a digital rag. 2 back surgeries = Vollmer getting little interest on free agent market.

By walterfootball.com

Walterfootball is a digital rag. 2 back surgeries = Vollmer getting little interest on free agent market.

I agree. Walterfootball is absolutely terrible. Unintelligent ramblings and terrible analysis on most everything they write IMO. Vollmer was actually rated 3rd behind Cherilus and A. Smith on the market this yr.. and it's like Blood said, 2 back surgeries meant he wasn't getting any interest on the market.

Don't know if anyone's pointed this out but the 15.5 million guaranteed is the signing bonus plus the first year's base.  

He's 7.5 million against the cap this year. (5.5 mil base + 2 mil pro-rated bonus)

Next year he's only 3 million against the cap (1 mil base + 2 mil pro-rated bonus) - 8 million dead money this year.

2015 he's 6 million against the cap (4 mil base + 2 mil pro-rated bonus). . . At this point the dead money on him is also exactly 6 million.  So he could be cut for a roster spot in 2015 and we would break even, but not open up any cap space.

2016 9 million against the cap (7 mil + 2 mil pro-rated bonus) - dead money 4 million at this point.

2017 9 million against the cap (7 mil + 2 mil pro-rated bonus) - dead money 2 million at this point.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/gosder-cherilus/

I don't think it's that bad of a contract.

Also you have to look at how the guaranteed money is laid out.  In several of our contracts we guaranteed the first year's salary.  Which is really sort of meaningless.  

Both Greg Toler and Erik Walden for example can be cut after this year with very little cap hit.  Walden has to be cut before the 5th day of the league year next year or else his 2014 salary becomes guaranteed. 

The way you explain it....Valpo-man..

Its a very good contract for the Colts...is he's good.

I have to be honest..,I never heard of Gosder Cherilus before we acquired him...did any of you?

But he's a veteran O-line starter and we needed a couple badly..

If you paid attention to FA you had heard of Cherilus.

I have to be honest..,I never heard of Gosder Cherilus before we acquired him...did any of you?

I had especially since he wore #77 with the Lions

If you paid attention to FA you had heard of Cherilus.

Really?  You've followed this guy's career?

Is he really good...or just so so..I  saw his name (its somewhat unique) on free agent lists

But last season..I'm guessing that if you didnt follow the Lions, you had not watched him...

I know I had not....

Theres a lot of talk on these board about the contract....and free agent rankings (which wont matter once the games start)

I'm saying that hes protecting Andrew Luck..so if he's good..he's invaluable..I wont care what we paid

That's why I'd be intersted in non-money evaluations of how good he is....from all..

I've heard he's mediocre in pass protaction..I've heard he's a good run blocker..

But Stafford passed for 5,000 twice with him blocking. Any thouhgts

Really?  You've followed this guy's career?

Is he really good...or just so so..I  saw his name (its somewhat unique) on free agent lists

But last season..I'm guessing that if you didnt follow the Lions, you had not watched him...

I know I had not....

Theres a lot of talk on these board about the contract....and free agent rankings (which wont matter once the games start)

I'm saying that hes protecting Andrew Luck..so if he's good..he's invaluable..I wont care what we paid

That's why I'd be intersted in non-money evaluations of how good he is....from all..

I've heard he's mediocre in pass protaction..I've heard he's a good run blocker..

But Stafford passed for 5,000 twice with him blocking. Any thouhgts

I haven't followed the career of any right tackle in the league....but from what I have read/ heard from people who know the game he is a good all around tackle.

I havent followed any RT in the NFL either...and that's all I was saying before

Good 'all-around' is what I want to hear....and would like to believe

I note hes played almost every game every season which would make him rare on our line...

It all gets back to us throwing the football...

If he's only an average pass blocker....Andrew Luck's got a problem..

I guess we'll have to wait and see

Assuming your first about Vasquez is correct, then we gave LESS guaranteed money to a tackle than another team gave to a guard.

That's smart money management.     And if this is correct, it likely explains why Grigson did not end up with either Vasquez and/or Levitre.

Good for him.    The man is smart.

Read my sig... ;)

Does it matter if you have heard of him?

Being a big name and playing well are not one in the same.  

Everyone's heard of Tim Tebow, but he's not played that well.

Everyone's heard of Reggie Bush, but he's not been that great either.  Right now he's just decent, but he's not like Beastmode or AP.