Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Poor Season Result In Coaching Changes

dn4192

Not just any ole' coach, but yes there are some that would do better. With a new head coach would come a new staff too. Our special teams coach and d-coor. are the main problem IMO.

In my opinion that is what makes belichek so good he saw the 3-4 was'nt working for his personel

so he changed it. great coaches coach personel not schemes. just as i believe we need to tweek our offense

because only peyton can run the we have it set up, but i am sure we wont make that adjustment either.

If we do make a change, Fisher would be OK, but I'd prefer Cowher honestly. I have always liked how he builds a team and his relationship with his players. I'd also be on board with one of the top defensive coordinators from around the league, like Rob Ryan or Steve Spagnuolo.

My only concern with Cowher is this....he exclusively ran the 3-4 in Pittsburgh, so coming here where we clearly do not have the personnel for that defense, would he stick with the 4-3 we currently have and try to improve it or go for a complete overhaul so that he can install his 3-4 here? I honestly have no idea the answer to this question but this is the one thing I would be concerned about with Cowher. Oh, and Steve Spagnuolo is the HC of STL, not their DC. He and Ron Rivera were the 2 coordinators I was most hopeful we'd look at as new HC here when Dungy retired. Unfortunately both are HC's now.

In my opinion that is what makes belichek so good he saw the 3-4 was'nt working for his personel

so he changed it. great coaches coach personel not schemes. just as i believe we need to tweek our offense

because only peyton can run the we have it set up, but i am sure we wont make that adjustment either.

As much as it pains me to give any credit to anyone on the Patriots (I will give credit to everyone there because they deserve it, it just pains me to do it :P ) but you're absolutely right. Ron Rivera is another example I can think of off hand. He was running the cover 2/tampa 2 in Chicago but then went to San Diego where they had previously been using a 3-4. Instead of trying to make any kind of overhaul, he adjusted himself (well that didn't sound right) and they kept the 3-4 they already had in place because that was the best decision based on their existing personnel.

My only concern with Cowher is this....he exclusively ran the 3-4 in Pittsburgh, so coming here where we clearly do not have the personnel for that defense, would he stick with the 4-3 we currently have and try to improve it or go for a complete overhaul so that he can install his 3-4 here? I honestly have no idea the answer to this question but this is the one thing I would be concerned about with Cowher. Oh, and Steve Spagnuolo is the HC of STL, not their DC. He and Ron Rivera were the 2 coordinators I was most hopeful we'd look at as new HC here when Dungy retired. Unfortunately both are HC's now.

As much as it pains me to give any credit to anyone on the Patriots (I will give credit to everyone there because they deserve it, it just pains me to do it :P ) but you're absolutely right. Ron Rivera is another example I can think of off hand. He was running the cover 2/tampa 2 in Chicago but then went to San Diego where they had previously been using a 3-4. Instead of trying to make any kind of overhaul, he adjusted himself (well that didn't sound right) and they kept the 3-4 they already had in place because that was the best decision based on their existing personnel.

You're right about Spags, I had a brain fart there.

I think if we did manage to get Cowher, he'd be able to bring a DC that could run the 4-3 well. Maybe after DFree/Mathis are gone, we'd go ahead and make the change anyways since those two would be the biggest reason to stay with the 4-3.

You're right about Spags, I had a brain fart there.

I think if we did manage to get Cowher, he'd be able to bring a DC that could run the 4-3 well. Maybe after DFree/Mathis are gone, we'd go ahead and make the change anyways since those two would be the biggest reason to stay with the 4-3.

Honestly if Cowher came in he may not even have to replace Coyer right away (hear me out here..lol). Coyer does know the cover 2 and tampa 2 so he can teach that part of the game to the players but Cowher could take over the play calling so we're not constantly playing a prevent type defense on 1st and 2nd downs. Then, like you said, when Freeney and Mathis are gone he could then get rid of Coyer and bring in someone to make the transition to the 3-4.

Out of the rest of our DL (after taking away Freeney and Mathis), we could probably put together at least a respectable starting 3-4 DL, and I say respectable meaning for a team in the first year of making the transition from 4-3 to 3-4. A lot of players can play both 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE so a 3-4 starting DL of Nevis and Moala at DE with Johnson at NT might work. Hughes could at least be tested at OLB with Wheeler playing the other OLB with Angerer and Conner in the middle.

Anderson, Brayton, Foster, Sims and Brackett would also have to go and possibly even Moten. Anderson might (big if here) be able to play a backup DE role in a 3-4 but that'd be more of a stretch than everything else. lol

Personally I don't think that switching to a 3-4 is a must for us, and I'm not saying that that's what you're saying either, but if Cowher did come in he would most likely make the switch at some point. I still think another excellent possibility if we were to go looking for an experienced HC would be Brian Billick.

I do think, since we've long drafted the small/fast DTs, that they'd easily transition to the 3-4 DE position. the pass rush in a 3-4 is much less from the DEs, and more from OLBs. Knowing that, our slightly undersized DTs could just switch to DE and we could try AJ in the middle, or bring in another NT altogether (likely a better route). And Wheeler's best attribute is his speed, and Hughes seems to have the size and speed to try OLB (remember the talk of a "joker role" when we drafted him?).

It would need a lot of work in the secondary, but that's a simple fact no matter the scheme we play.

And, yeah, I'm not really suggesting that changing to a 3-4 is the best option, only that if Cowher were to come in and make that change, it could be an OK transition for some of our guys. I do think that Cowher is the best coach of those we have discussed, so whatever he brings with him would be fine with me.

NO ONE should get a free pass due to injuries. That has been the Colt's mantra all along. Peyton did not play in all three phase's of the game. Even though it sure look's like he must have. We need coach's with PROVEN winning records in the NFL. Not BAD COLLEGE COACHES, just look at the drop off in this team in three year's.

14-2 (gave away a possible perfect season) LOST in Super Bowl

10-6 (had to rally to win the south) LOST first round playoff's at HOME

0-2 (how far will the Colt's continue to fall before it is clear to Irsay)

I think Mr. Polian needs to put his ego in check and hire COACH'S NOT YES MEN

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!!!!

Unfortunately, no!! Should it, YES!! We lack passion and leadership from our coaches and IMO that's showing this year. Our leader is down..If this team can't get it together and pull 5-6 wins this season then Manning should renegotiate his contract for MORE money!

I want to see passion on the sidelines! Emotion!...I've seen better passion and leadership out of Pop Warner coaches

:mad:

Unfortunately, no!! Should it, YES!! We lack passion and leadership from our coaches and IMO that's showing this year. Our leader is down..If this team can't get it together and pull 5-6 wins this season then Manning should renegotiate his contract for MORE money!

I want to see passion on the sidelines! Emotion!...I've seen better passion and leadership out of Pop Warner coaches

:mad:

Get real, folks. "Passion on the sidelines" is vastly overrated. Tom Landry took his team to 4 Super Bowls, winning 2, while being probably the most stoic coach ever on the sidelines. How did "passion on the sideline" work for Chuckie Gruden after he took Dungy's Bucs to the Super Bowl?

It's ridiculous to criticize Caldwell for his sideline demeanor. It's perfectly valid to criticize him for the decisions he makes on the sideline and in the locker room.

OK I'm a Cleveland fan who was trying to find on Google the picture of that kid crying at the end of the Browns / Colts game. I came across this forum and have been reading a bit. You guys act like this is the end of the world!! Like you've had it SOOOOO rough over the past decade and that we should ALL feel SOOOO sorry for you that you've started off 0-2. Do you realize there are cities out there (yes Cleveland being one of them) that would be happy with a 6 win season? You've been to two Super Bowls in the last what...5...6 years...and won one! Why am I seeing / listening to Colts fans crying?? NO ONE FEELS SORRY FOR YOU. Welcome to the world of SUCKING, a place many of us other fans have been before, and CONTINUE to be. Look at the bright side you dopes, you have to put up with ONE season of no Peyton. The guy will be back next year and you'll get your act together. MY TEAM WILL STILL BLOW! So man up. Except for that kid that was crying at the game. That was priceless.

OK, let's address the age old question.............who is at fault, the coach or the players, winning or losing? This to me is a great example of my answer, the players. Yes, it is a combination of both but putting the ball over the goal line cannot ever be done from the sidelines. I say Caldwell stays, the GM needs to seek out life forms in distant galaxies far, far away.

OK, let's address the age old question.............who is at fault, the coach or the players, winning or losing? This to me is a great example of my answer, the players. Yes, it is a combination of both but putting the ball over the goal line cannot ever be done from the sidelines. I say Caldwell stays, the GM needs to seek out life forms in distant galaxies far, far away.

In 90% of cases when the ball crosses the goal line the play originated from the sideline. not going for

it on 4th and 1 from the 11 came from the sideline and the way we were running the ball that was a bad decision. i was there and that seemed to take some fire away from both players and the fans for sure. the way we moved the ball

on that drive only getting 3 was a big victory for the browns, and did'nt show much confidence in our offense.

Honestly, I thought that Caldwell was on the hot seat last year when his coaching changes haven't really produced results. If this team wins one or two games, I can see going in a different direction especially if the defense doesn't stiffen up.

Haven't produced results? He took us to a Super Bowl won the division with a highly injury riddle team that would have kept most teams out of the playoffs. I know the fans don't like Caldwell but listen to Irsay or Polian talk about him they are committed to him and aren't going to fire him.

It's one thing to lose with Peyton Manning and it's another lose without him. The only person Caldwell has been on the hot seat with is the fans and frankly our vote doesn't matter.

Haven't produced results? He took us to a Super Bowl won the division with a highly injury riddle team that would have kept most teams out of the playoffs. I know the fans don't like Caldwell but listen to Irsay or Polian talk about him they are committed to him and aren't going to fire him.

It's one thing to lose with Peyton Manning and it's another lose without him. The only person Caldwell has been on the hot seat with is the fans and frankly our vote doesn't matter.

While I won't go so far as to say he had nothing to do with it. I do believe he had very little to do with us going to the super bowl and rode Peyton's, Moore's, and Mudd's Coat tails.

This year will tell us a lot, but I believe he is below average coach and he should be fired; although I agree with you I do not think he will be fired, because Polian and Irsay like him because he doesn't rock the boat.

We have gotten progressively worse since Dungy left. Regardless of Manning being out we should at least be able to put up a fight. Personally I think our D is horrible and this playing off the recievers is killing us especially on 3rd down. That is coaching.

Our inability to score inside the red zone this season is disturbing. Once again much of this is coaching. With the talent we have we should be a more aggressive team with and without Manning but especially with. I truly believe if we had a change in coaching we would be a better team, and a change in coaching would hopefully mean a change in philosophy, enough of the "we do what we do" garbage. Anyway it is unlikely we will see a change soon it is not the Polian way.

Hopefully we turn it around, we looked better last week on offense.

GO COLTS

i could inherit a million dollars and know how to spend it, but that does not make me a finance major! let's face he inherited a rolls royce and by the time he gives the

keys back, we will lucky if it is a YUGO.