Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Poor Season Result In Coaching Changes

dn4192

A co worker and I were talking this morning about yesterday's game and the possible chance of this team winning maybe only 2-3 games this season. My co-worker believes that anything less then a playoff appearance will result in Caldwell and staff being let go. I don't see it that way, I don't see Caldwell being let go even if they go 0-16. I can see some "coaching" changes maybe happening, but I think Polian and Irsay will use the loss of Peyton for the season as to why Caldwell will be back in 2012. So what do you all think?

I agree. I think there's a good chance Caldwell and Christiansen get a free pass this year. Coyer and the defensive coaches as well as ST coaches should not be exempt however. Manning being out has nothing to do with the defense and special teams play so there's no reason these 2 aspects should not improve dramatically even with Peyton being out. I've also pointed out in my "coaches are to blame" thread that I believe our continued defensive struggles are much more scheme based than player based. We do still need some upgrades at various defensive positions but overall the D could play a whole lot better with better coaching and scheming.

So, if the defense continues to struggle in pass defense because of teams continuing to exploit the short-middle holes left by the tampa 2 zone and nothing is done to correct it then Coyer needs to go. If there is one thing that might put Caldwell on the hot seat as well is if he fails to do anything to correct this. Even though he is an offensive minded coach and probably isn't very hands-on with the defense, he still has to coach the other coaches and if they aren't getting the job done then bring in new coaches who will. If he is too reluctant to pull the trigger then the Polians might pull the trigger on him.

Jim Caldwell is supposed to get the attention and the most out of his position coaches and co-ordinators as well. He can't just pass the buck on the blame due to the absence of Manning. I am sure he is a stand up guy who will stand there and take responsibility but taking responsibility won't be good enough if you cannot muster a handful of wins at least with the talent on this team, IMO.

The big question will be, if Peyton cannot play a single down again (hope that does not happen), will any of our senior players like Wayne, Mathis, Freeney want to be part of a re-building phase or will they want to head to winning teams? Hopefully that is not a bridge we have to cross.

NO ONE should get a free pass due to injuries. That has been the Colt's mantra all along. Peyton did not play in all three phase's of the game. Even though it sure look's like he must have. We need coach's with PROVEN winning records in the NFL. Not BAD COLLEGE COACHES, just look at the drop off in this team in three year's.

14-2 (gave away a possible perfect season) LOST in Super Bowl

10-6 (had to rally to win the south) LOST first round playoff's at HOME

0-2 (how far will the Colt's continue to fall before it is clear to Irsay)

I think Mr. Polian needs to put his ego in check and hire COACH'S NOT YES MEN

A co worker and I were talking this morning about yesterday's game and the possible chance of this team winning maybe only 2-3 games this season. My co-worker believes that anything less then a playoff appearance will result in Caldwell and staff being let go. I don't see it that way, I don't see Caldwell being let go even if they go 0-16. I can see some "coaching" changes maybe happening, but I think Polian and Irsay will use the loss of Peyton for the season as to why Caldwell will be back in 2012. So what do you all think?

Typically coaches get fired when the team is playing bad and as the old saying goes..you fire the coach not the players. Even if it's just for a shake up.

We'll have to see how well the colts play from here on out, not necessarily wins, to see if he stays.

Knowing your FO he probably will stay but it's not out of the question if the colts continue to play bad.

The staff needed to be overhauled when Dungy decided to retire.

With that said, Manning's absence does have an effect on the defense as well. Offensively we are experiencing shorter drives. Collins & the O have converted 21% of 3rd down conversions when Manning & the O over the last 5 years were performing at an unprecedented 49.7% on 3rd down conversions. I'd be willing to bet when you remove the Sorgi/Painter drives that it was over 50%. So that is a huge drop off. Less yards per drive, less points per drive, and shorter/quicker drives all together does not bode well for the defense.

The situation in the red zone is the same. Over the past 5 years we are around 65% in converting those attempts into points, which is also the best in the NFL, and that has dropped to 2/6 in the limited opportunities so far this year.

Even with that said, that can't be used an excuse for the poor defensive performance in week 1, where it seemed the whole team was not prepared and that falls directly on the head coach even if he was never qualified for the job.

It's not going to be a fun year.

While the loss of Manning certainly provides a little grace for the Caldwell and Christianson, If the team goes 0-16 I don't see any way Caldwell is brought back. By the way, we won't go 0-16. If we only win 2 or 3 games, I think Polian takes a long look at all of the aspects of the head coaches job and then makes a decision. I still wouldn't be surprised if Caldwell got the boot after going 3-13.

As far as the Special teams coach I say get rid of him now! Coyer, I felt real good about for the first 18 games of the 09-10 season, last year while not impressed, I gave him a pass due to the injuries. Now? I am not real confident. I also think we can alter our scheme ( not a 3-4 or anything that drastic) with out as much problem as people think.

As a non College football follower I don't know much about Tressell other than the fact that he did a heck of a job at Ohio State, but being that the Colts like to hire from within, I am intrigued by the posability of him taking over if need be.

Can any of you NCAA fans give a scouting report on Tressell and his chances of being a good NFL coach?

I dont believe Caldwell will be let go anytime soon. Management has alot to do with what our team lacks at certain positions. It was obvious Painter wasnt the answer as a back up qb, so tell me why wasnt this addressed last season or the season before? Building your team around one player is foolish. The word team means more than one person working together. Not building your team around the star and leader. We should have been prepared for such a scenario and had a viable backup ready years ago. We have been spoiled for years with Mannings ablities and him bailing us out. Its time we actually put together a team and stop relying on one man to bail us out. Peyton Manning doesnt play defense, so this nonsense about the team being built to play with a lead is foolishness. Get bigger, faster and stronger so we can knock heads with the big boys. Sorry fot the ran :rantoff: lol

I used to refer to Jeff Fisher as "SuperMullet." Now, I'd gladly take him as coach and take it back.

He's a decision maker and well-balanced in O and D.

To answer the question, no, I don't think it will result in any big changes. How long did we have Gilbert Gardner as linebacker before they finally figured it out that he was horrible. For coaches, Ron Meeks? Mora?

I really don't see Fisher's record with the Titans/Oilers as indicative of his ability. Bud Adams and the Titans/Oilers front office never really gave him the best teams to work with, and the way they have a total disregard for player character only compounded that.

I'll go as far as saying I think, all things considered, Fisher overachieved in his time there. I mean seriously, beside Eddie George and Steve McNair (Both of whom he took to, and almost won a Super Bowl with) who else came through Houston/Tennessee that he could build the franchise around?

I agree. I think there's a good chance Caldwell and Christiansen get a free pass this year. Coyer and the defensive coaches as well as ST coaches should not be exempt however. Manning being out has nothing to do with the defense and special teams play so there's no reason these 2 aspects should not improve dramatically even with Peyton being out.

This says it all right here. Coyer and Rychleski are in their make or break years IMO and so far, neither has shown anything that would warrant them to stay with the Colts next year.

Coach Caldwell should not get a free pass on a losing season. We have not improved since Dungy left us. If Peyton returns to us and does not retire we need a coach that can rally this team of talented individuals and make them a team again. Our window of opportunity even with Peyton is closing, because our stars are getting older. We are too predicatable and we need a fresh perspective not settling for the status quo!

Dungy's philosophy worked for Dungy. Caldwell attempting to be Dungy Version 2.0 does not work. Coach Caldwell and his staff are stand up guys, but flat out poor coaches. We need a big change and in a hurry.

I like Fisher, Billick, Gruden, and Cowher. Realistically, Fisher would be the best fit. Fisher would be affordable for the Colts, he has an aggressive streak, and he and Polian have a mutual respect.

Peyton has given his body for this franchise, it is time for this franchise to do right by him and give him the best chance to win.

MAKE A CHANGE!! Bill....Jim....are you listening? Jim go get Abby to make you pay attention....MAKE A CHANGE!!

caldwell sees some things that are correctable, and will make some more adjustments,and they will keep him to see if they work out, sometime!

The blame falls completely at the feet of owner Jim Irsay, president Bill Polian and general manager Chris Polian not only for failing to find a capable backup behind Manning, but also for failing to use the draft and free agency to build a talented team around Manning.

Don't blame the coach for not turning lemons into lemonade

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/855137-nfl-power-rankings-week-3-whose-stock-is-plummeting/page/4

No he should not get a free pass. All great coaches or good coaches would make changes if their star player is out. Most would make adjustments for their team to win. Caldwell on the other hand, looks lost and always looks like a deer in the headlights. I have no idea why the front office thinks he is wonderful. He sucks, the fans knows it. WFU fans knows it. But the Colts front office wants to live in fairytaleland.

The lack of Manning has exposed many faults of the Colts. One of those faults is at head coach. If the front office chooses to address it is yet to be seen.

do you think with this roster that say tomlin or Belichek or any coach would have done better in the first two games?

No he should not get a free pass. All great coaches or good coaches would make changes if their star player is out. Most would make adjustments for their team to win. Caldwell on the other hand, looks lost and always looks like a deer in the headlights. I have no idea why the front office thinks he is wonderful. He sucks, the fans knows it. WFU fans knows it. But the Colts front office wants to live in fairytaleland.

given the roster makeup of the Colts exactly "what" do you want or think he could do?

do you think with this roster that say tomlin or Belichek or any coach would have done better in the first two games?

Not just any ole' coach, but yes there are some that would do better. With a new head coach would come a new staff too. Our special teams coach and d-coor. are the main problem IMO.

Well if i was a very successful college coach and i resigned my position there's no way i would come to the NFL just to be some advisor to look at some tapes or whatever.

Exactly, he's just getting his foot in the door. Assistant coach? I doubt it. Either HC or coordinator.

Just what is it about a guy with a horrible losing record in college that made it so intriguing to bring him on as a head coach in the highest form of professional sports? I wish I had a clue but Tony Dungy saw something. Not sure how he saw something when you're talking about a guy who did not have any leadership responsibilities as an assistant coach. That coming from the Colts themselves. He simply assisted Tony in game preparation and communication with the other assignment coaches. What about Bill Cowher? I think Chuckie would only coach during Peyton's final few years and then he would bolt.

Dungy's philosophy worked for Dungy. Caldwell attempting to be Dungy Version 2.0 does not work.

I'm curious what you mean about Caldwell being Dungy 2.0. In some ways I could say I agree with you in that their mannerisms and personality are very similar, but I don't think this is Caldwell trying to emulate Dungy but rather simply the fact that they are very similar personality wise. If you're talking about bringing in the same type of personnel then I'd disagree with you. The one thing the current staff has done (and I have no idea who was actually responsible for doing this so I'm not going to even attempt to speculate) is make a noticeable attempt to find similar types of players who work well on our defense, but who are bigger and stronger than guys Dungy brought in.

I disagree with him in several regards. I get the feeling this report was based more on what other media outlets are saying about the Colts and not from a close investigation by the writer himself. Here are some specific points I disagree with:

The Colts looked even worse this week in a close-ish loss to the Browns. The defense was again exposed as the major weakness on the roster.

If he'd have said that the defense was again exposed as a weakness of the coaching staff then I'd agree. However I think the defensive players showed clear improvement from week one.

but also for failing to use the draft and free agency to build a talented team around Manning.

This is just nonsense. The part about waiting till the last moment to address the backup QB situation (the statement right before the quote) is correct, but to say they failed to use the draft and FA in attempt to build a better team is just nonsense. Already this year we are getting quality play from 3 of our 5 '11 draft picks in Castonzo, Nevis and Carter and we all know Ijalana is being groomed as the replacement for Link. We've yet to see what we have in Chris Rucker. Out of the 2010 draft we have 2 current starters in Angerer and Conner and we get significant playing time from Eldridge. Similar to '11 and Rucker, we simply haven't had a chance yet to see what we have in Kevin Thomas. From the '09 draft we got starters Pat McAfee, Powers, Moala, and Collie. Include this offseason's free agent acquisitions of Anderson, Brayton, Harris and Sims (we're already getting significant playing time from 2 of the 4) and I don't see how he could suggest that they haven't tried to build a talented team around Manning.

Fire all the coaches and stop this talk about suck for luck. why would we do that? If anything we do what the browns did and trade 1 pick for like 6 or 7. And Im pushing for another offensive weapon like Justin Blackmon or Trent Richardson so Peyton Has some talent to help him over the next four years.

Caldwell received a 4-year contract when he was elevated to HC (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e17a03&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true). So, next season would be a lame duck one, which I think the Colts would be loathe to see happen. Therefore, I think Caldwell will either be extended or released after this season.

NO ONE should get a free pass due to injuries. That has been the Colt's mantra all along. Peyton did not play in all three phase's of the game. Even though it sure look's like he must have. We need coach's with PROVEN winning records in the NFL. Not BAD COLLEGE COACHES, just look at the drop off in this team in three year's.

14-2 (gave away a possible perfect season) LOST in Super Bowl

10-6 (had to rally to win the south) LOST first round playoff's at HOME

0-2 (how far will the Colt's continue to fall before it is clear to Irsay)

I think Mr. Polian needs to put his ego in check and hire COACH'S NOT YES MEN

I completely agree with you and wanted to point something out real quick. Right now Caldwell's record as a coach is 24-10. With 14 games remaining this season Caldwell could easily be 24-24 after three years with the Colts. FIRE HIM if that happens!

I think an 8-8 season will save Caldwell's job. Anything short of that has to be seen as failure and worthy of his release. There is still enough talent on this team to compete. If we have many more games that are embarrassing as the Houston game, or we lose to the other bottom feeders (KC, Cincy, etc) like we lost to Cleveland, then I would think Irsay, crazy as he is, would step in and clean house. He's not one to put up with failure, so I think he'd make a change. And Polian isn't afraid to kick coaches out either. I think because we stuck with Dungy for so long without winning a Super Bowl, we forget that Polian has canned his share of coaches.

If we do make a change, Fisher would be OK, but I'd prefer Cowher honestly. I have always liked how he builds a team and his relationship with his players. I'd also be on board with one of the top defensive coordinators from around the league, like Rob Ryan or Steve Spagnuolo.