Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alright Colts fan...new plans for the draft

Lets go out and get a talented QB who drops to the 4th round or so, draft him and have him show off his skills in preseason games and then create positive publicity for him. Then we trade him to some stupid team like the Chiefs for their 2nd and 3rd round picks!

Maybe not this year since we dont have many picks to play with, but next year! Obviously I made this thread to further bash the Chiefs for their continued mediocraty they will have with Alex Smith at QB.

And don't you just hate the 49ers now? I mean 15 picks for a team as already talented as they are? That just doesnt seem fair!

Well....   it's not clear that the 2nd pick the Chiefs are giving up in 2014 is a #3....

It's only described as a mid-round pick.

I don't think the Chiefs are stupid at all.... 

Think about it,  two years ago,  Cam Newton was able to lift Carolina to a 5 or 6 win season as a rookie.   Good, but not Andrew Luck.

Now,  there's no rookie QB of the Luck or even of Newton's level.   So, can one of the 2013 draft class QB's turn the Chiefs into a playoff team?    Andy Reid and John Dorsey say 'no'...

They've seen what Smith can do when handled properly.   Reid should be able to do that.

This is a smart move for both the Chiefs and the 49ers.    A very smart move....

Well....   it's not clear that the 2nd pick the Chiefs are giving up in 2014 is a #3....

It's only described as a mid-round pick.

I don't think the Chiefs are stupid at all.... 

Think about it,  two years ago,  Cam Newton was able to lift Carolina to a 5 or 6 win season as a rookie.   Good, but not Andrew Luck.

Now,  there's no rookie QB of the Luck or even of Newton's level.   So, can one of the 2013 draft class QB's turn the Chiefs into a playoff team?    Andy Reid and John Dorsey say 'no'...

They've seen what Smith can do when handled properly.   Reid should be able to do that.

This is a smart move for both the Chiefs and the 49ers.    A very smart move....

What did Smith ever do in San Fran before Jim Harbaugh got there though? If I am a rebuilding team like the Cheifs, I am grooming a young QB in my own system, and surrounding him with talent which the Chiefs cant do as much of now with giving up high picks like this.

What did Smith ever do in San Fran before Jim Harbaugh got there though? If I am a rebuilding team like the Cheifs, I am grooming a young QB in my own system, and surrounding him with talent which the Chiefs cant do as much of now with giving up high picks like this.

All Alex Smith did during his first 5 years with the Niners, is learn 5 new offensive systems--before Harbaugh got there. You tell me, is it fair to assess him under these circumstances? Then Harbaugh arrives and brings in some stability-- finally, and Alex Smith begins to perform, but everyone believes that it's because of Harbaugh and has nothing to do with Alex Smith learning a system and playing in that system for a few years. He showed great improvement under that system.

I don't think Smith is a great QB, but if anyone could argue about not getting a fair shot, it would be him. He's not as bad as some believe he is.

Chiefs aren't rebuilding.....there is talent on that roster

Lets go out and get a talented QB who drops to the 4th round or so, draft him and have him show off his skills in preseason games and then create positive publicity for him. Then we trade him to some stupid team like the Chiefs for their 2nd and 3rd round picks!

Maybe not this year since we dont have many picks to play with, but next year! Obviously I made this thread to further bash the Chiefs for their continued mediocraty they will have with Alex Smith at QB.

And don't you just hate the 49ers now? I mean 15 picks for a team as already talented as they are? That just doesnt seem fair!

Next year's draft is going to be good at QB again though.  But if we are going to trade a over-rated QB to a stupid team, lets trade them to the Jag's.  They are in our division so it's in our best interest that they continue to suck.

Plus my wife lived in Jacksonville for a while and has several friends there.  I would like to continue talking trash about the Jags to them.  

Smith is a guy that will hold a good team back from the Super Bowl not a guy that gets them to one.

To be fair, from what I understand (did not see the game) he was not the reason they lost the AFC championship in 2011.  

I don't think he'd hold a good team or a great team back.  But he's not going to be the guy who can lift a good team to greatness on his own abilities.    

Hmmm! You would probably draft a bust young QB in this draft and be in worse shape than you started, is that very possible?
 I think Andy Reed, the Organization, the players are feeling Very Very Good right now. KC has a LOT more Talent than Our Colts do Today!
 I bet you wish we still had Freeney & Clark & Addai & ...

To be fair, from what I understand (did not see the game) he was not the reason they lost the AFC championship in 2011.  

I don't think he'd hold a good team or a great team back.  But he's not going to be the guy who can lift a good team to greatness on his own abilities.    

He kinda was...I can't remember the stat but the 49ers were atrocious on 3rd down. Obviously not all his fault, but a QB has to make plays on 3rd down.

Hmmm! You would probably draft a bust young QB in this draft and be in worse shape than you started, is that very possible?

I think Andy Reed, the Organization, the players are feeling Very Very Good right now. KC has a LOT more Talent than Our Colts do Today!

I bet you wish we still had Freeney & Clark & Addai & ...

Are you suggesting that the Cheifs will be better than the Colts? And I would completely disagree that the Chiefs have better talent. They certainly wont once free agency starts.

Smith's problems during his time in San Francisco were many.   For example, he had a different offensive coordinator every year he was there, except maybe one....   until Harbaugh showed up.   Smith was also constantly hurt playing for some bad SF teams...

During those years,  Smith basically had one very good year.   No surprise, it was the year that Norv Turner was his OC.   Turner is an exceptional OC.     So, when given a good offensive mind, and Andy Reid is that,  then Smith has played well.   He's also still very young,  he'll be 29 this year....    and he's very, very smart.   Smith graduated from Utah in about 2 and a half years.   That's not a typo.   He was done with his academic work in less than 3 years.    He's a sharp guy.   And a quality teammate.

Reid doesn't want to start from scratch.   I suspect he knows the fan base doesn't want a 4-12 season.   They clearly hope for the playoffs, and short of that a competitive 8-8 type season.

And he doesn't come at a high cost....  A 2 and something is nothing for the right QB.    It's not even a terrible price if he's the wrong QB.    But if you spend the 1 on the wrong QB,  THEN you have a disaster.   And getting a rookie with the 2 they just traded likely means another top-5 pick in the draft next year.... 

Consider it the cost of doing business....   sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.....

Sorry this went a little long....

Are you suggesting that the Cheifs will be better than the Colts? And I would completely disagree that the Chiefs have better talent. They certainly wont once free agency starts.

Lets see, we have ONE decent O-Lineman Castonzo, Two decent D-Lineman Redding, if Chapman is OK.

One GOOD LB in Freeman, Two decent OLB`ers in Mathis and Hughes, one ok safety Bethea, and One VG CB,Davis.

Reggie is Good, T.Y. is GOOD, Dwayne Allen GOOD, McAfee Good, Ballard is Solid. 

Fleenor, Conner are promising. I have hope for Shipley & Lawrence Guy.

So I have 17 Players on this roster I think are definite keepers.

Redding, Mathis, Bethea, and Reggies Good playing days are numbered.

I can`t go down the Chiefs roster in this manner But,

Jamal Charles is a VG RB

Eric Berry also a VG Safety

Tamba Hali a VG LB

Derrick Johnson a VG LB

Justin Houston a VG LB

ALL Voted to the pro Bowl, Houston as an Alternate.

Punter Colquitt was this years PBowl Punter

Now they add a Quality QB and still have the 1st pick in the draft. We had a 5-11 Roster that went 11-5.

We will wait and see who has the better record next season.

At this point, yes, the chiefs have a better overall roster than the Colts

Chiefs have one of the top 10 most talented rosters in the NFL. The only thing they needed was a QB but they have great players Charles,Berry,Johnson,Flowers,Bowe,Hillis,Poe,Hali,and Houston.

And there picking first in the draft like the Colts , The Chefs  have stunk for a while  they will be lucky to win 8 games next season . New coach  New QB new system . Same old song and dance . The only thing for sure with such a talented team they won't pick first next year .  Maybe 5'th or 6'th .

San Fran is going to be very good for a very long time... we would be smart to pick up their scraps because they are bound to let a few gems slip away (53 man roster)

KC has a bunch of talent and just needed a QB... I'd take Smith over anyone available with their 2nd rounder.. he's a game manager, not a superstar, but what was the alternative? I think that Smith, along with Charles and Bowe (should they keep him) makes KC a wildcard team (with a probable first round exit in the playoffs)

I applaud KC for making a move, doing it in a way that gives them stability with a vet QB that they can build around. The idea that there is another franchise QB available every year is silly. He is the best available, he came at price they can afford. They did this while the Cards and the Raiders are watching.

If I had anything negative to say, it is to my former Colt Jimmy. He has a winning team, but it has come at a price. His word is suspect, and he comes across as someone who holds a grudge and lets that affect his actions. Almost the "little brother against the world" syndrome. I defend former Colts to a point, but he has crossed that line with me. I no longer respect him as I once did. Glad we have Mr Pagano as coach....and I use to opine about us missing out on hiring Jimmy as our coach.