Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Being So Good For So Long Has Taken It's Toll

mightisright

While I heartily agree that the Colts FO has made some bad draft picks in recent years that have cost us, I think fans are forgetting that this current deficit in talent is largely because we've been so good for so long. We've been in the bottom of the draft for a decade, people! That will eventually take a huge toll, as it is now. This idea that the FO is to blame for not putting enough talent around Manning assumes that they've had a lot of good choices to begin with. And while I'm a huge Manning fan. his performance in the playoffs seems to always slip for inexplicable reasons. The idea that we should have gotten Manning a few more rings by now but haven't because there's not enough talent around him stumps me. Can you explain to me why it's the FO's fault that he didn't play well in several playoff games? I'm NOT saying he isn't a phenomenal QB, but just that maybe we have unreasonable expectations from the Colts FO and coaching staff. What do you think?

Oh, and please don't think I'm a BP fan! I will always dislike him after the way he treated the fans the monday night after the infamous Jets games and for the stupidity not to chase greatness that year. But I do respect that he's been a good GM. It seems like only the Pats FO is better than ours with consistently getting good talent with low draft picks and little moolah.

The talent is still there. You can't blame Peyton's absence for the poor defensive or special teams play. The talent is certainly there, it's just a matter of execution. You could have all of the talent in the world, but if you can't block a pass rusher or if you can't tackle the runner, that's going to contribute to the loss

The talent is still there. You can't blame Peyton's absence for the poor defensive or special teams play. The talent is certainly there, it's just a matter of execution. You could have all of the talent in the world, but if you can't block a pass rusher or if you can't tackle the runner, that's going to contribute to the loss

I think the Colts do just fine drafting, we seem to get a few more good players each year.

Who cares what rounds the successful picks are coming from! For example, Angerer, he's had some decent success, does it really matter he was picked in the 2nd round, no he plays like a first rounder. Same for Nevis, so far. Powers, Collie, Garcon for ect.

But that's not good enough? You want first round success along with late round and undrafted success? Of coarse we all do but that just doesn't happen that often. By the way our 1st Rounders are basically 2nd Rounders, 2nd are like 3rd, and so on.

We just want it all and teams just don't get it all in the draft.

I think the Colts do just fine drafting, we seem to get a few more good players each year.

Who cares what rounds the successful picks are coming from! For example, Angerer, he's had some decent success, does it really matter he was picked in the 2nd round, no he plays like a first rounder. Same for Nevis, so far. Powers, Collie, Garcon for ect.

But that's not good enough? You want first round success along with late round and undrafted success? Of coarse we all do but that just doesn't happen that often. By the way our 1st Rounders are basically 2nd Rounders, 2nd are like 3rd, and so on.

Not only that, but isn't it a little premature to bury us? What downfall? We made the playoffs last year with 16 players on IR - that must mean our draft picks/FA's have paid off.

Not only that, but isn't it a little premature to bury us? What downfall? We made the playoffs last year with 16 players on IR - that must mean our draft picks/FA's have paid off.

I wasn't saying we're in "downfall"! Just that a decade of having late draft pics is finally starting to bear consequences.....

I've stated for years the main problem with the colts is two fold.

1. IMO building a team around PM was dumb. You build a good team each year with PM AS the QB. There's a difference there. The Oline was high priced for a number of years. ditto WRs.. Harrison 70 mil.

2. Giving PM control was dumb. Many playoff mistakes came from his own play calling.

Perhaps his dollar value wouldn't have gone so high by using him only as a QB instead of the be end all.

His first season I saw a QB who's play action pass was the best I'd ever seen. Build a good team and use that asset. Instead it became overused.

I've stated for years the main problem with the colts is two fold.

1. IMO building a team around PM was dumb. You build a good team each year with PM AS the QB. There's a difference there. The Oline was high priced for a number of years. ditto WRs.. Harrison 70 mil.

2. Giving PM control was dumb. Many playoff mistakes came from his own play calling.

Perhaps his dollar value wouldn't have gone so high by using him only as a QB instead of the be end all.

His first season I saw a QB who's play action pass was the best I'd ever seen. Build a good team and use that asset. Instead it became overused.

I agree, although Manning is definitely the type of player you have to build around. The problem was that Polian was so much more concerned with adding top offensive talent around Manning and, with the exception of Freeney, basically tried to field a defense with a bunch of low level talent and hope he hit on most of them. He did hit on a few of them, no doubt, but to build a balenced team he should have spent more money on the defense. No, we may not have been able to have such a high powered offense for all those yrs. but we wouldn't have needed it if we had a defense that was any good.

I agree, although Manning is definitely the type of player you have to build around. The problem was that Polian was so much more concerned with adding top offensive talent around Manning and, with the exception of Freeney, basically tried to field a defense with a bunch of low level talent and hope he hit on most of them. He did hit on a few of them, no doubt, but to build a balenced team he should have spent more money on the defense. No, we may not have been able to have such a high powered offense for all those yrs. but we wouldn't have needed it if we had a defense that was any good.

He might be the type of QB to build around but I wouldn't have. Protect him,yes.

There may have been less 12-4 seasons but more playoff wins with a balanced team.

While I heartily agree that the Colts FO has made some bad draft picks in recent years that have cost us, I think fans are forgetting that this current deficit in talent is largely because we've been so good for so long. We've been in the bottom of the draft for a decade, people! That will eventually take a huge toll, as it is now. This idea that the FO is to blame for not putting enough talent around Manning assumes that they've had a lot of good choices to begin with. And while I'm a huge Manning fan. his performance in the playoffs seems to always slip for inexplicable reasons. The idea that we should have gotten Manning a few more rings by now but haven't because there's not enough talent around him stumps me. Can you explain to me why it's the FO's fault that he didn't play well in several playoff games? I'm NOT saying he isn't a phenomenal QB, but just that maybe we have unreasonable expectations from the Colts FO and coaching staff. What do you think?

Are you trying to say that good contributing talent is not available late in the first round of the draft?

That is an interesting theory even if it is dead wrong.

I agree it doesn't make a lick of difference where a player is drafted as long as they can produce.

However, if you look at the past several years of draft choices from every round, there are a whole lot of bad picks. The last year i would consider a good draft was 2009 and even then i think a couple of those guys are highly overrated by some in the fan base. But at least those guys see the field, thats more then i can say for several of the other draft choices.

Are you trying to say that good contributing talent is not available late in the first round of the draft?

That is an interesting theory even if it is dead wrong.

Exactly - CONTRIBUTING players are available. But we've needed to add REAL probowl talent at a few positions in the D and we haven't so far been able to do it in our drafting. If we'd had a bad year or two, we'd be right back up there with some great picks but being this good for this long has taken it's toll. That's what I'm saying. And asking why we blame the front office for our success!

Look at my original post! I agreed with that, but only the pats seem to have been able to do it better than us.....

Have they really? They do it differently, no doubt about that. But if you're comparing how late drafting affects a team, you have to look at the end results.

The Pats have had no better luck in the playoffs the last 5 years than we have, right? Some would say worse, considering their last two.

When you get into the playoffs you are supposed to step it up a notch. How many dropped balls did we have and what about our O line. Mannining needs time. I think the front office should take all the blame including coachs. Our D scheme has stunk and rarly worked. Those are things that could have been changed. Imagine what Pitt would do with a guy like Mannining.

To answer your question; yes, being good for a decade has taken its toll, but we are not alone to be that good. The Patriots and BB use their draftpicks 3x as wisely as the Colts. We could learn from them, they are not the enemy, they are great competition and fun to watch and they do a lot of things extremely well.

We should try and do some of the things that they do in the draft... trade picks, move up and down the draft ect ect ... instead of waiting till its our turn and pick the one thats there...

Hold on there. With Peyton at QB we wouldn't be having this conversation yet. I know there have been some terrible draft picks recently. But there have also been some nice middle round and UDFA pick ups. The sky isn't falling yet.

They were draft picks that many people supported at the time. Can't remember which version of the old forums, but people were literally gushing with the excitement of Tony Ugoh, labeling him the next Tarik Glenn. Fans can be so hypocritical. If Costanzo busts, given how well he's been received so far here, who will be the ire of the fan-base? Polian.

Really, the only valid criticism I can think of the Polian era in talent, is not being active in the free-agent or trade market.