Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson on FA Spending: From Indy Star.....

NewColtsFan

The money could potentially go to any position.  Just because you target a few top-notch O-linemen, doesn't mean you will land them.  You may be outbid or they may prefer to stay where they are.  So, you might be forced to pursue players through cheaper options, trades and the draft.   

I think Grigson has it right.

You go after the one or two or three guys you really want but you don't need to force the issue and overpay long-term for someone who isn't worth it.  Worse case scenario if you strike out is that you re-sign some of your key cogs (Patty Mac, Moala, etc.) to front-loaded deals and free up a bunch of space next year.  Keep the guaranteed money on those early so you can cut-and-run later if you need to with no penalty.

I hope we don't do what the Pacers did this year with their cap space; they gave a bunch of contract extensions over 4-5 years and, barring trades, are 'stuck' with the same lineup for the next couple years (guaranteed contracts change the dynamic some, but the point remains).  They have no flexibility if it doesn't pan out.

And LOL at Polian being the master of the cap.

I agree I would not mind if they front loaded some contracts on our free agents (that we were planning to resign anyway) if we do not find players worth spending the money on and we need to get to the cap floor.  I don't want to see us give early contract extensions to non-FA's, because that seems cause problems sometimes. You end up giving a player an early raise to current market value, but than 2-3 years from now when he still has 2+ years left on the new contract he will see what everyone else at his position is getting in free agency and what he would he gotten had he waited.  Than you end up with a disgruntled player wanting another new contract, holding out, etc ....

My wishlist for our colts.

1.Sign Andy Levitre.(best guard)

2.Sign pattyMac

3.Sign Darius Butler

4.Sign Armond Armstead

5.Sign Julian Edelman

6.Sign Danny Woodhead

7.Sign Deji Karim

8.Sign Fili Moala

9.Sign Donnie Avery

10.Trade for Audie Cole(future superstar)*>start in place of freeney

Draft

11.Xavier Rhodes

12.Barrett Jones(His injury means his stock will fall)

As you can tell,i'm quite conservative with free agent spending,but all of those picks can make a huge impact.I favor julian edelman(can do it all) over collie and danny woodhead over donald brown.

Unless Pagano knows something about Kruger which would stop him from wanting Paul on our team, he'll be a Colt.

Even with his value increasing, he's coming much cheaper than Freeney. He's just now hitting his prime. And, he's familiar with Pagano and the system so there's no issues with schematic fit. He also fills a crucial need for us.

I don't think Baltimore can afford him, as they don't have much room and must resign Ellerbe (or else they'd be losing both of their inside 'backers next year). Oh yeah, and Flacco's up for a long term deal. He might've earned himself an extra dollar or two this postseason ;)

That's the thing about any Ravens we might want to bring in Pagano is going to know if they are worth it or not or at the very least hat we can probably expect from them.  Same goes for Grigson and any Eagles that might interest us. 

I think Kruger is a guy to watch.  He clearly fits a need the Colts have and Pagano should know if this season was the next step in his progression or just a one time type of season. 

I also agree with that I don't think the Ravens are going to be able to keep him.  It's going to take most of the money they have just to keep Flacco and unless he just like throws 10 picks next week there is no way they can let him leave. 

After watching Kruger play against us and Denver, I am 100% hoping we bring this guy over. Unless Baltimore finds a way to keep him, I have no problem paying him a nice salary to make sure we grab him. I don't see Freeney staying a Colt, as there are teams that run a 4-3 that will pay more than we will for him and I am sure, he would rather be back in that type of defense. Mathis adjusted well and replacing Freeney with Kruger, would be HUGE! The guy is a beast and even I was jealous of him.

I think with our money, if we can upgrade our line with at least 2 guys, bring in 2 more guys on defense, then draft the rest, we might be set pretty good. After watching Houston again last night, this team is in some serious need of new coaching. They have the talent to keep the South theirs for the next couple years, but not the coaching staff. Colts will have no problem reclaiming next year, if we add more to our line to protect Luck, and bring in a few more key factors on defense.

If Polian was here he would just give it to Powers and then release a statement saying we need to pay our own.

Powers, I feel, will make a better nickel CB. It is when he is outside that he gets exposed, IMO. He has short area quickness but not recovery speed. Butler has both short area quickness and recovery speed down the sidelines, IMO.

I would like Powers for a cheaper re-sign, if possible.

Powers, I feel, will make a better nickel CB. It is when he is outside that he gets exposed, IMO. He has short area quickness but not recovery speed. Butler has both short area quickness and recovery speed down the sidelines, IMO.

I would like Powers for a cheaper re-sign, if possible.

I'll take Powers for two years, $7m. That's kind of my limit there.

oooo that's a lot for him. He's a cover 2 corner. Colts need more man corners. 

He's a corner, pretty decent as a nickel back. And that's not a lot of money, nor is it a long term commitment.

He's highly replaceable, though, especially since he has trouble staying healthy. And like I said, that's my limit, not my first offer.

Ok I won't argue that. I wonder how good Vaughn, Butler, and Davis would look with a respectable pass rush in front of them.

I don't think it would really matter for Vaughn. The guy has terrible technique and over the course of the season never got better as he routinely did the wrong things over and over.

With all the holes we still need to fill is there any reason in the world they shouldn't spend 100% of the cap every year?  Colts owner and management should be spending every dollar at their disposal to put the very best team possible on the field period.

Excuse my ignorance, but aren't there ways to pay it forward if you don't add a ton of FAs?  I mean, can't you take as much of the signing bonus into this year's cap as you want, as long as it's all gone to the cap by the time the contract has expired.  So, if you only find three mid-level FAs, you could pay them big signing bonuses with small annual salaries, thereby creating a lot of cap space next year and beyond?  Seems like that would be a good way not to waste the cap room you have and give you flexibility to fix problems that arise next year...

my free agent wish list:

DB- DRC, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Dashon Goldson, Jarius Byrd

LB's Paul Kruger, Anthony Spencer, Shaun Phillips

DL-Randy Starks

OL-Sebastian Vollmer, Andy Levitre, Ryan Clady(unlikely to let hit the market but would be nice)

DRC, Goldson Kruger, Vollmer and Levitre are the ones i would like to see most 

Mike wallace i think will want too much money but it would be nice to have a big bodied receiver

my free agent wish list:

DB- DRC, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Dashon Goldson, Jarius Byrd

LB's Paul Kruger, Anthony Spencer, Shaun Phillips

DL-Randy Starks

OL-Sebastian Vollmer, Andy Levitre, Ryan Clady(unlikely to let hit the market but would be nice)

DRC, Goldson Kruger, Vollmer and Levitre are the ones i would like to see most 

Mike wallace i think will want too much money but it would be nice to have a big bodied receiver

When did Wallace become a big bodied receiver? 

My wishlist for our colts.

1.Sign Andy Levitre.(best guard)

2.Sign pattyMac

3.Sign Darius Butler

4.Sign Armond Armstead

5.Sign Julian Edelman

6.Sign Danny Woodhead

7.Sign Deji Karim

8.Sign Fili Moala

9.Sign Donnie Avery

10.Trade for Audie Cole(future superstar)*>start in place of freeney

Draft

11.Xavier Rhodes

12.Barrett Jones(His injury means his stock will fall)

As you can tell,i'm quite conservative with free agent spending,but all of those picks can make a huge impact.I favor julian edelman(can do it all) over collie and danny woodhead over donald brown.

I like those choices, but just deciding they want them is not a done deal.  Those free agents could get signed to deals with their existing team.  Woodhead has increased in value since the Jets cut him.  Butler just had an atypical year, with career high 4 INTs.  Maybe he's found his stride, but I wouldn't break the bank for him. 

I like those choices, but just deciding they want them is not a done deal.  Those free agents could get signed to deals with their existing team.  Woodhead has increased in value since the Jets cut him.  Butler just had an atypical year, with career high 4 INTs.  Maybe he's found his stride, but I wouldn't break the bank for him. 

Yeah,you're right.I wouldn't break the bank for d.butler,but i would give 3yr 6mil for him,and keep him as a nickel,while drafting x.rhodes to pair with v.davis.I prefer hard working players,such as woodhead,edelman,cole,levitre.The core of the patriots are these very such players.

Yeah,you're right.I wouldn't break the bank for d.butler,but i would give 3yr 6mil for him,and keep him as a nickel,while drafting x.rhodes to pair with v.davis.I prefer hard working players,such as woodhead,edelman,cole,levitre.The core of the patriots are these very such players.

If you want to learn something from Belichick, the best thing to learn is cold-hearted dealing.  He never gets emotionally attached to players. That's why a guy like Welker might be available this offseason. Because Belichick thinks he can plug in a less-expensive Edelman and the system keeps chugging along.  That's why they kept Woodhead and dumped greene-ellis law firm guy.  You have to use the cap to get the best overall team, not necessarily the best individual players (excepting Brady). 

I heard Brady wants to play until he is 40.  I doubt Belichick will keep him if he slips and is no longer worth what he makes.