Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis!

Dark Superman

Davis is what Marlin Jackson should have been. Good cover guy with great physical skills to make tough tackles. Jackson was too stiff in coverage though, played more like a Safety.

As much as I like Powers, I'm now spoiled with the play of Davis and would take a comparable CB in a heartbeat. I'm sure someone will toss some cash at Powers, but realistically he's a Nickel. His body just doesn't seem to hold up to making constant tackles.

With that said, I don't think Vaughn and Butler are starting material. They're good at filling in, but I think that's one area that needs to be upgraded in the offseason. I do think they would excel in Nickel and Dime coverage, which is why I think Powers is expendable.

Hate to break it to you but Andre Johnson had 12 catches for 141 yards and both interceptions by Davis were a result of bad passes from Schaub.  On the first interception Davis was beaten badly but Schaub way underthrew the ball.

That being said he's still one of the better corners we've had.

Both were bad passes by Schaub, Regardless Vontae is the only legit Corner we have on our roster, Good game for him today

Aren't all INTs thrown considered bad passes?

Those catches and yards were not on just davis

^This. That first INT Davis had was a throw to James Casey. Davis came from another part of the field and got in front of it. That was great athleticism that we have lacked in recent memory with our secondary. I hope that we somehow manage to keep Vaughn and Butler as well.

Both were bad passes by Schaub, Regardless Vontae is the only legit Corner we have on our roster, Good game for him today

The second pass can't be considered a "bad pass."  Schaubs job was to throw to that spot and Davis did a great job getting position and blocking Johnson off from it. Think about it this way . If it was int was made by a safety , then it could be considered an over throw. In this case it was just man on man and Davis just plain killed Johnson on that play. The other throw may or may not have been as bad a throw as the announcer was saying. Davis may have felt he could make up ground on Walter(?). Good CB's often do this when they are confident and are playing at the top of their game.

Just saw the post above and if it was James Casey , then Davis for sure could have been baiting as he for sure has more speed than Casey.

I think the best CB the Colts have had in years and years. Buchanon was a good one. I go all the way back to 1960 and we have not had many great CB's. He plays with great confidence and tries to make plays on the ball. That is the mind set great CB's need and this guy has it. People point to guys like Andre Johnson and Megatron making catches. In today's game guys like that are going to get their catches and for the most part Davis has shown good coverage on guys like that. There is only one Revis and QB's just stay away from him. As others have pointed out , this guy is also a monster against the run. By far the best hitter in our secondary. How many shut down corners tackle like that ? 

Powers came into the League as a cover two CB because he lacked speed. Not a bad player, he tackles OK, but he has his share of injuries and is very replaceable.

Our D WILL have CB`s that can play solid press coverage and tackle well against the running game.

Coach P believes in it and Grigson won`t stop looking for it.

Some people understand the concept that Quarterbacks don`t just stand back there in the pocket and whistle until their Receivers get open then they sling it with perfect form and really step into the pass like out of a Textbook. You know, ALL passes thrown 30, 40 yards down the field to where the defender gives the Receiver the space to run, really should be thrown in a TIGHT 2-3ft window.

And some think even if a 6'4" 290lb guy is coming right at you and you end up only get 95% into the pass and 80% of the time YOUR receiver can adjust and compete at least evenly for the ball, Well, that is a bad Pass.

IMO, that is some serious Fantasy football. The Receiver looks back 1st with the advantage to adjust to the pass. A defender who can chase a guy that far down the field and be in position to make a play on the ball has done a heckuva job.