Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fantasy Vs. Reality

Rich Cannon

I was in a very interesting debate with another Colts fan

1)This is how it started

So I pose this question to you, is cheering for another player thats on your fantasy team against your favorite team the (Colts) make you less of a fan? Keep in mind I was just cheering for one player to do well (Randy Moss), not for the patriots to win

please read

Ha, I see what you did there with the rephrasing ;) Cheering for someone on your Fantasy team is one thing.. Cheering for them against YOUR FAVORITE TEAM? kinda goes against being a fan of said team.. Or maybe the worlds of fantasy and reality have blurred so much that football doesn't have diehard fans anymore. I guess Fantasy football is more important than real football now.. I would think most would agree that rooting for a player to do well against your own team would compromise your passion for that team.

You should read the quote before jumping to conclusions that are false. My original quote "Much appreciated coming from a Pats fan, I also remember cheering for Moss 2 years ago when he was on my fantasy team vs the colts". Now as you can see cheering for Randy Moss to do well against your team for fantasy football purposes isnt cheering for the Patriots to win, correct me if i'm wrong, but for sport i will make a thread putting your statement to the test " I think most would agree that rooting for a player to do well against your tram would compromise your passion for that team"

While it does not make you less of a fan, I have to say I would question your priorities. Akin to placing a bet that a guy can beat the crap outta your own child.

I would not cheer for Randy Moss to do well against the Colts. I would not cheer for my own brother to do well against the Colts.

While it does not make you less of a fan, I have to say I would question your priorities. Akin to placing a bet that a guy can beat the crap outta your own child.

I would not cheer for Randy Moss to do well against the Colts. I would not cheer for my own brother to do well against the Colts.

Some how i knew you would say that lol

No, it doesn't make you less of a fan. That guy made a ridiculous statement (or giving him the benefit of the doubt, he just didn't understand what you were saying). You're still rooting for the Colts to win, it just doesn't bother you much when your player gets some stats.

I've been playing fantasy footbal since the mid 80s, you will always end up with guys from teams you hate. That's the nature of the game. Last year I had Welker. Years ago I had Brady.

How about this - you're playing a guy who has a Colt on his team, for example Reggie. In that case, I'm hoping Dallas, Pierre, and Austin are getting the lions share of the catches. So, am I rooting for and against the Colts?

I will quote myself on this one:

I didnt know cheering for a player on your fantasy team constitues you not to be a Colts fan. Thanks for the info :thmup:

It does according to Mike Greenberg. He told Golic that he didn't draft Tom Brady because he's a Jets fan. Golic proceeded to call Greeney stupid. lol at Mike and Mike

Meh I could not care less about what other fans think of my fandom. I had people on the old board question my fandom because I do not let a Colts loss ruin my Sunday and turn into a big jerk like they do.

I root for the Colts on Sunday like I have done for the past 17 years. If a guy that is on my fantasy team catches a TD I get mad because it is against the Colts. If he makes a big play I get mad. I just separate my fandom from my fantasy team. As Herm Edwards said "You play to win the game." If drafting Brady will help me win my money league then guess what I am drafting Brady. When he throws a TD against the Colts I will be just as mad as I would be if it was Rivers throwing the TD.

If some other fan thinks I am less of a fan for drafting Brady then oh well. Not going to bother me any.

Again, let me quote myself:

Fantasy is completely unimportant to me, as a Jet, why would he want to route for anyone on the rival team for some imaginary game.

He has a very valid point.

Because fantasy isn't really cheering for rivals - its just a strategy game to figure who will score the most points and starting them IMO

I will add this; When I see fantasy football reports on NFLN and ESPN, I facepalm so hard I dent my forehead. Why not also update us on who I should draft in my Madden Franchise mode?

My idea of fantasy football involves naked women, baby oil and a goalpost. The tight end is open baby, yea!

I will add this; When I see fantasy football reports on NFLN and ESPN, I facepalm so hard I dent my forehead. Why not also update us on who I should draft in my Madden Franchise mode?

My idea of fantasy football involves naked women, baby oil and a goalpost. The tight end is open baby, yea!

I get that, I understand how a lot of people think us fantasy guys are nerds. I used to think that back in the 80s when we first started.

But now it's a billion dollar enterprise, it has to be acknowledged. So, either get used to it or you're going to have palm marks permanently imbedded on your forehead.

I get that, I understand how a lot of people think us fantasy guys are nerds. I used to think that back in the 80s when we first started.

But now it's a billion dollar enterprise, it has to be acknowledged. So, either get used to it or you're going to have palm marks permanently imbedded on your forehead.

Started in the 80's? Really? I didn't know that. I thought it was an advent of the last decade. Don't worry about the nerd angle. I gets my nerd on in a different way. We all must embrace our inner nerd. People all the time assume I'm a fantasy footballer because of my love for the game. I'm actually surprised myself that I'm not into it, as I have a good sense for the game and a feel for the pulse of individual players.

Started in the 80's? Really? I didn't know that. I thought it was an advent of the last decade. Don't worry about the nerd angle. I gets my nerd on in a different way. We all must embrace our inner nerd. People all the time assume I'm a fantasy footballer because of my love for the game. I'm actually surprised myself that I'm not into it, as I have a good sense for the game and a feel for the pulse of individual players.

I will say that I enjoy(ed) fantasy football more when the Colts sucked. It's a way to be interested in football and to cheer and follow other teams players, not just be miserable with yours.

Here's how far-sighted I am. Back in the late 80s I wrote a lot of code for our league to track the players. There were no programs, and obviously no internet back then. A guy in our league said we should try to market the program. Being the genius I am I said "Who in the world would ever PAY for this stuff?" I'm still reminded of that brilliant statement yearly at our draft.

Being the genius I am I said "Who in the world would ever PAY for this stuff?" I'm still reminded of that brilliant statement yearly at our draft.

If I was sitting right there next to you I would've said "nobody". But yea, you walked right over the buried treasure on that one.

It does not mean you are a bad fan but, it could very well mean you are jinxing the team.

(This is why I consistently lose in my fantasy league)

I play according to my superstitions.

This year I was horrified to find that I have Arian Foster. Relieved to bench him because of injury issues.

whew!

I am a terrible owner! :)

I'm 39 years old and have lived in NE my entire life. So I've always been a fan of our local teams.

Up until three years ago, when I moved to MA and joined a league with some guys I work with, I thought FF was kind of ridiculous. My life and hobbies were a bit different back then, and I didn't want to waste my free time sitting in front of a computer.

But since then, and even though I've always had terrible teams, I've enjoyed FF quite a bit. IMO, it enhances your enjoyment of the NFL overall. I always loved watching football, even if the Patriots were terrible (many years of that) or weren't playing, but following along for FF purposes makes it that much more interesting to me.

I do make "homer" picks, but have come to realize that if you want to do well, you have to take the best players you can get, regardless of who they play for. It's not as important to me as the "real" NFL, so if it comes down to it, I'd rather see my players do poorly if it somehow impacts the Patriots directly. But even with a division rival, you're only talking about two games/year, since most leagues are over by mid-December. (Thank God the actual real NFL playoffs don't impact most leagues.)

To prove the point... I drafted Manning, Dallas Clark, and Santonio Holmes this year. I managed to get Matt Ryan for almost nothing when the news broke about #18, but would still like to see Clark and Holmes do well enough this season to help me out!

I've never played fantasy football, but here's a related issue. I've entered many a football pool - even ran an office pool 7-8 times. In all that time I have always picked the Colts - every week, regardless of spread or situation. I'm talking picking the recent Colts with a huge spread that I think it unlikely they will meet, I'm talking picking the lousy Colts who had little chance of anything but humiliation. I worked with many other passionate football fans who had no problems picking against their teams if it might gain them a little money. They were "just being realistic".

I simply have no interest in watching the Colts and finding that my financial interests conflict with the Colts interests. It would make me feel like a traitor, and detract from my enjoyment of the game.

I'm not sure that I see fantasy football any differently. If I was playing I would do everything possible to avoid a conflict. IE: Drafting Rodgers would be great, but can't you sit him against the Colts? I sure as heck don't want to be watching and thinking "I want Rodgers to throw for 8 TDs, but I want the Colts to win too.". Makes little sense. I don't WANT Rodgers to have a good day against my team.

And I would never draft a player that I detest (IE: Randy Moss, Terrel Owens, Michael Vick, Tom Brady), nor perhaps anyone on a division rival either, nor anyone on the Patriots, Chargers, Steelers, etc. I simply wouldn't pick them regardless of the consequences because I refuse to have to root for them. Sorry, but I don't see much fun in that.

Perhaps that's why I've never played fantasy football. I'd be left rooting for the Lions (and Bengals) and Bears of the world, which would be unlikely to meet with much success.

Started in the 80's? Really? I didn't know that. I thought it was an advent of the last decade.

Actually, the first fantasy league started in 1963. But the modern version started in 1988. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_football_%28American%29

I started a FF league back in 1990, and have been playing ever since.

But on topic, if I have a guy going against the colts, I simply root for the colts to win and don't worry about my player. If he gets points, so be it.

Face palm dents... Ah I see now, pressure on the frontal lobe of the brain, that explains whats wrong with you.

Here is the key

It does not matter, one iota, who you pick in fantasy. Fantasy has no revelance on real life, even though real life has an impact on our fantasy. Pick whoever you want, pick the best players or players you want to watch. YOu aren't really rooting for them to beat on the colts, you are just picking on them because they likely will do well on our team.

I will pose an even more dangerous question...

What do you all think of starting the defenses that play the colts for the next few weeks?

I am asking this to fans who will NOT give me an opinion entirely based on them thinking this makes me a bad fan. Any thoughts?

If you are cheering for a person opposite your favorite team to do really well you lost all credibility on calling yourself a fan. I like randy moss as a player but evertime we faced him i also hopped he will just fall down by some unknown ghost that hit him in the knee but also Gonzalez was the lucky player

Hehe.. really? A whole thread about it? Ok, thats fine. Btw I see there are a few responses agreeing with you and a few responses agreeing with me. Good job.

But I guess since you made an official debate post on this then I should present my argument.. I'm going to type out a logical response and hope (probably a poor decision) for a logical reply.

Ok, so Randy Moss is on the Patriots and the Patriots are playing your Colts. Randy Moss catches a pass.. 16 yard completion.. Great! Your fantasy team just got another 1.6 points! (or whatever based on what your scoring system is).. Thats great for your fantasy team! But, uhoh.. look what just happened in the process.. The Patriots just picked up another first down and are now CLOSER to our endzone than they were before. ---

Now, as someone who wants the Colts to win the game, do you really want to ROOT for something like that to happen? Do you really want the Patriots to pick up that first down and keep moving the ball on us? Because thats exactly what happens when Moss "does well." Dont try and play word games and say "Oh rooting for Moss to make that catch is not rooting for the Patriots or against the Colts." How is it not? The fact that Moss made that catch hurts the Colts, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. Anyone who understands that 1+1=2 understands that Randy Moss + a catch for 16 yards against the Colts = the Patriots are moving the ball and getting closer to beating us.

And this isn't even that bad of an example. What if that catch was for a touchdown? Oh wow! Thats 7.6 points for your fantasy team! and 6 points AGAINST the Colts! Sure, you want your fantasy team to do well.. I get it.. and you would rather not the Colts get 6 points against them.. but by rooting for Moss to make that catch or score that touchdown, are you not therefore, in a way, rooting against the Colts? Can you admit that correlation? Or will you just respond with a ROFL emoticon?

Now, there's my response.. and I'm sticking to it.. But all of that aside, let me clarify that I did not mean to say that you are 100% not a Colts fan.. I believe I used a poor choice of words with my very first post.. You can root for whatever fantasy player you want to root for. Thats fine with me.. I wouldn't dare tell you what to do.. it's America.. But, at least in my opinion, you ARE rooting against the Colts if you root for a player to do well against them.. Whether or not you are tehnically rooting for the opponent is a moot point.

Now, to the rest of those who will read my response to this debate: There could be 100 million posts arguing against what I just said or 100 million posts agreeing with what I just said.. Let me make it perfectly clear that I care 0% either way. At the end of the day I have my own opinion and you aren't going to change that by calling me names or using ROFL emoticons. I will be just as happy with my view on the topic whether anyone agrees with it or not. I only replied to this because some sweet d00d wanted to "show me up" in front of the rest of his Forum Chronies. But again, I don't care who agrees with me or who doesn't. I'm more interested in reading and posting ABOUT THE COLTS.. This will be my last post on the topic. No hard feelings to Rich Cannon. Go Colts this Sunday!

Hehe.. really? A whole thread about it? Ok, thats fine. Btw I see there are a few responses agreeing with you and a few responses agreeing with me. Good job.

But I guess since you made an official debate post on this then I should present my argument.. I'm going to type out a logical response and hope (probably a poor decision) for a logical reply.

Ok, so Randy Moss is on the Patriots and the Patriots are playing your Colts. Randy Moss catches a pass.. 16 yard completion.. Great! Your fantasy team just got another 1.6 points! (or whatever based on what your scoring system is).. Thats great for your fantasy team! But, uhoh.. look what just happened in the process.. The Patriots just picked up another first down and are now CLOSER to our endzone than they were before. ---

Now, as someone who wants the Colts to win the game, do you really want to ROOT for something like that to happen? Do you really want the Patriots to pick up that first down and keep moving the ball on us? Because thats exactly what happens when Moss "does well." Dont try and play word games and say "Oh rooting for Moss to make that catch is not rooting for the Patriots or against the Colts." How is it not? The fact that Moss made that catch hurts the Colts, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. Anyone who understands that 1+1=2 understands that Randy Moss + a catch for 16 yards against the Colts = the Patriots are moving the ball and getting closer to beating us.

And this isn't even that bad of an example. What if that catch was for a touchdown? Oh wow! Thats 7.6 points for your fantasy team! and 6 points AGAINST the Colts! Sure, you want your fantasy team to do well.. I get it.. and you would rather not the Colts get 6 points against them.. but by rooting for Moss to make that catch or score that touchdown, are you not therefore, in a way, rooting against the Colts? Can you admit that correlation? Or will you just respond with a ROFL emoticon?

Now, there's my response.. and I'm sticking to it.. But all of that aside, let me clarify that I did not mean to say that you are 100% not a Colts fan.. I believe I used a poor choice of words with my very first post.. You can root for whatever fantasy player you want to root for. Thats fine with me.. I wouldn't dare tell you what to do.. it's America.. But, at least in my opinion, you ARE rooting against the Colts if you root for a player to do well against them.. Whether or not you are tehnically rooting for the opponent is a moot point.

Now, to the rest of those who will read my response to this debate: There could be 100 million posts arguing against what I just said or 100 million posts agreeing with what I just said.. Let me make it perfectly clear that I care 0% either way. At the end of the day I have my own opinion and you aren't going to change that by calling me names or using ROFL emoticons. I will be just as happy with my view on the topic whether anyone agrees with it or not. I only replied to this because some sweet d00d wanted to "show me up" in front of the rest of his Forum Chronies. But again, I don't care who agrees with me or who doesn't. I'm more interested in reading and posting ABOUT THE COLTS.. This will be my last post on the topic. No hard feelings to Rich Cannon. Go Colts this Sunday!

I respect your opinion, and it was a good debate go colts :coltslogo: