Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Passing Attempts

Slick_Rick

Just looked at the stats. Luck is throwing around 37 passes a game. Let me start by saying I'm absolutely excited about our season and the progression made this far. However, I am slightly concerned.

In only 2 games has Luck thrown less than thirty times. Only 5 times has he thrown less than 40. With that many drop backs a game and the less than stellar O-line play does that concern anyone? RIght now Peyton is averaging 34 throws a game, Tom at 35, Matt Ryan at 38.5 a game. These men are all vets with very sound teams, that don't really take a lot of hits. RG3 is averaging 25.3 throws a game, Russel Wilson at 23.3, Brandon Weeden at 33.3 and Ryan Tannehill at 27.8 attempts a game.

I know Luck is a very strong guy, both mentally and physically, but in the future I personally would like to see his attempts decrease. I would hate to see the guy get hurt. He is a great player who is able to lead by example. I am quite impressed.

Thoughts?

38.6 through 13 weeks compared to 25 rushes per game. 295 of his 503 passes have come when we have been behind, The numbers say Luck has struggled the more pass attempts he has had, 54.6 of his throws have come in a come from behind variety (148 of those 295 have been come from behind throws we have only been down 7 points or less). He has really struggled in the 2nd quarter completing 53.4 percent of his passes and having 3 touchdowns and 7 picks

Notice all those QB's you named have olines or a Run Game. We don't

That's kind of my point. During the Peyton-era we weren't worried about it. We knew 10 wins were guaranteed with Peyton throwing every down, without an o-line or running game. I'm just hoping we have learned from history that building a team around a player is important to ensure their health and more playoff success. I firmly believe the reason we didn't win more Super Bowls with Peyton was because he had almost zero help.

38.6 through 13 weeks compared to 25 rushes per game. 295 of his 503 passes have come when we have been behind, The numbers say Luck has struggled the more pass attempts he has had, 54.6 of his throws have come in a come from behind variety (148 of those 295 have been come from behind throws we have only been down 7 points or less). He has really struggled in the 2nd quarter completing 53.4 percent of his passes and having 3 touchdowns and 7 picks

Our largest margin of victory was also when he had the lowest number of attempts, that's to be expected though

Just looked at the stats. Luck is throwing around 37 passes a game. Let me start by saying I'm absolutely excited about our season and the progression made this far. However, I am slightly concerned.

In only 2 games has Luck thrown less than thirty times. Only 5 times has he thrown less than 40. With that many drop backs a game and the less than stellar O-line play does that concern anyone? RIght now Peyton is averaging 34 throws a game, Tom at 35, Matt Ryan at 38.5 a game. These men are all vets with very sound teams, that don't really take a lot of hits. RG3 is averaging 25.3 throws a game, Russel Wilson at 23.3, Brandon Weeden at 33.3 and Ryan Tannehill at 27.8 attempts a game.

I know Luck is a very strong guy, both mentally and physically, but in the future I personally would like to see his attempts decrease. I would hate to see the guy get hurt. He is a great player who is able to lead by example. I am quite impressed.

Thoughts?

I would like to see Luck throw 40 times a game..

That's how we were built...

The day of the draft......it was obvious...we drafted 2 TEs and 2 WRs and the top QB in the nation...

..as others have said..we have HAD TO throw because we trailed....

.....but we play indoors..we have a Hall-of-Fame receive and sprinters on the outside...

.....when we hand the ball off to Vic Ballard or Donald Brown we are doing the other team a favor...

Luck needs to throw a lot for us to win..

Ugh....I'm tired of folks saying we dont have a running game.....WE DO its just not used...the drive Vick Scored on was basically all runs with the exception of the long pass to Avery....Arians just hates to run, this is a known fact

Exactly. I think if we stick with the run game more Vick can produce. I rarely see him lose yardage or get taken down by the first defender. Arians will run it here and there but gets impatient and gives up on it. Run game would make defenders respect the run and would help luck out. A lot of lucks INT are overthrown because he is getting pressured without the other team blitzing. He throws off his back foot and the ball naturally sails on him. A run game would do luck wonders. Just need a few more pieces on the oline and for Arians to stick with the run.

Unfortunately no matter how many times we bring up the insane number of pass attempts

1.some fans can never get enough passing and up tempo style of play

2.Arians cant help himself, he is a high risk high reward play caller, always has been and always will be, Grigson probably new that coming in

Long story short, I like Arians as a motivator and as a man but Im counting down the days till he is no longer our O Coordinator

I agree that we do not emphasise the run nearly enough. It would be great if we could have a run/pass balanced attack. However, I do feel that in the games that we have been behind in, our running game was not as effective and we abandoned it too early, which caused us to be more one dimensional.

There were several attempts in this past game where we went from 2nd and 8 to 3rd and 11 or whatever the actual down and distance was. The point is that the run at times actually worked against us. This in my opinion is mainly due to BA calling a short receiver screen for 3-4 yard gains and then immediately after calling a run. It's too obvious and everyone knows what's coming--especially the opposing defenses.