Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets loss good for Colts

oldunclemark

In truth..much of America may feel good when the Jets lose but....specifically for Indy...

The Colts have the tiebreaker over Miami and they can get it over Buffalo...this weekend...

The Colts cant win a 9-7 tie with the NYJs...so they need the Jets to have 8 losses..juts in case the Colts cant get to 10

What I cant figure is: what if Cincy, Pitt and Indy all go 10-6..something that is possible even thought Cincy plays Pitt..next month..

...assuming our last 2 losses are to Houston..are we the odd horse out of a three-way 10-6 tie for the last 2 spots?

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

• The division champion with the best record.
  • The division champion with the second-best record.
  • The division champion with the third-best record.
  • The division champion with the fourth-best record.
  • The Wild Card club with the best record.
  • The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

• Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  • Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  • Best net points in common games.
  • Best net points in all games.
  • Best net touchdowns in all games.
  • Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

• Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  • Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

• If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
  • If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

• Head-to-head, if applicable.
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Best net points in conference games.
  • Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

• Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  • Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES

• Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild Card tie-breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to Step 1 of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tiebreaker, all other clubs revert to Step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.
  • In comparing records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor, since teams may have played an unequal number of games.
  • To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.
  • To determine home-field priority for Wild Card qualifiers, apply division tie-breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild Card tiebreakers (if teams are from different divisions).
  • To determine the best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed, add a team's position in the two categories, and the lowest score wins. For example, if Team A is first in points scored and second in points allowed, its combined ranking is "3." If Team B is third in points scored and first in points allowed, its combined ranking is "4." Team A then wins the tiebreaker. If two teams are tied for a position, both teams are awarded the ranking as if they held it solely. For example, if Team A and Team B are tied for first in points scored, each team is assigned a ranking of "1" in that category, and if Team C is third, its ranking will still be "3."

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

• Clubs not participating in the playoffs shall select in the first through 20th positions in reverse standings order.
  • The Super Bowl winner is last and Super Bowl loser is next-to-last.
  • The losers of the Conference Championship games shall select 29th and 30th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
  • The losers of the Divisional playoff games shall select 25th through 28th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
  • The losers of the Wild Card games shall select 21st through 24th based on won-lost-tied percentage.

If ties exist in any grouping except (2) above, such ties shall be broken by strength-of-schedule. If any ties cannot be broken by strength-of-schedule, the divisional or conference tie-breakers, if applicable, shall be applied. Any ties that still exist shall be broken by a coin flip.

Hopefully Cinci are taken care of now I've brought him into my fantasy team, in every form of fantasy sports games I have a habit of ruining people's careers by picking them :P

Going to be a squeaky run in. It's in our hands at least, with the exception of the Texans I think we've shown we can beat the other teams if we play well. That's a big IF though, especially on the road.

I know it's down to playing do many rookies but our inconsistency makes it nigh on impossible to predict where we will finish. We could as easily lose every game as win the division :P

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

• The division champion with the best record.
  • The division champion with the second-best record.
  • The division champion with the third-best record.
  • The division champion with the fourth-best record.
  • The Wild Card club with the best record.
  • The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

• Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

• Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

• If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
  • If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

• Head-to-head, if applicable.
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

• Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  • Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES

• Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild Card tie-breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to Step 1 of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tiebreaker, all other clubs revert to Step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.
  • In comparing records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor, since teams may have played an unequal number of games.
  • To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.
  • To determine home-field priority for Wild Card qualifiers, apply division tie-breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild Card tiebreakers (if teams are from different divisions).
  • To determine the best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed, add a team's position in the two categories, and the lowest score wins. For example, if Team A is first in points scored and second in points allowed, its combined ranking is "3." If Team B is third in points scored and first in points allowed, its combined ranking is "4." Team A then wins the tiebreaker. If two teams are tied for a position, both teams are awarded the ranking as if they held it solely. For example, if Team A and Team B are tied for first in points scored, each team is assigned a ranking of "1" in that category, and if Team C is third, its ranking will still be "3."

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

• Clubs not participating in the playoffs shall select in the first through 20th positions in reverse standings order.
  • The Super Bowl winner is last and Super Bowl loser is next-to-last.
  • The losers of the Conference Championship games shall select 29th and 30th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
  • The losers of the Divisional playoff games shall select 25th through 28th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
  • The losers of the Wild Card games shall select 21st through 24th based on won-lost-tied percentage.

If ties exist in any grouping except (2) above, such ties shall be broken by strength-of-schedule. If any ties cannot be broken by strength-of-schedule, the divisional or conference tie-breakers, if applicable, shall be applied. Any ties that still exist shall be broken by a coin flip.

Thanks Again

Three team ties like that they break the tie between the two division teams first, and then take the Colts and which ever team won that division tie breaker and go from there.

Pitt/Balt/Ind all 3 tied would be handled different than hypothetically Pitt/Ind/SD for example

Thank you, FJC..that is exactly what I was asking....

so if Pitt, Cincy and Indy all finish 10-6 (or 9-7) and if Pitt sweeps the season series from Cincy (the Steelers won the earlier meeting) the Colts tiebreaker business at 10-6 (or 9-7) would be solely with Pittsburgh.... and that's good because Pitt (6-4) has 4 AFC losses and Indy (6-4) has just 3....

I'm suprised there isn't a playoff predictor on a website somewhere that let's you put in the remaining results and spew out the playoff match ups. I did try a quick google but maybe I'm searching with the wrong term.

The BBC does them here for every football (soccer) league (division) in the 2nd half of the season and its good for working for scenarios, though the actual score of games matters a lot more as we use goal difference as the tie breaker in the first instance.

so if Pitt, Cincy and Indy all finish 10-6 (or 9-7) and if Pitt sweeps the season series from Cincy (the Steelers won the earlier meeting) the Colts tiebreaker business at 10-6 (or 9-7) would be solely with Pittsburgh.... and that's good because Pitt (6-4) has 4 AFC losses and Indy (6-4) has just 3....

Using those hypotheticals, that would be correct. Pitt vs. Cincy, Cincy would be eliminated and then it would turn to Pitt vs. Indy.

Right now the Colts are 4-3 in the AFC, and the Steelers are 3-4, so it would depend on what games are won/lost to see how that stays in play towards the end of the season.

There are playoff generators out there that let you choose the winners of the remaining games to test various scenarios, but there is still a lot of football left to play to break each scenario down in great detail.

I'm suprised there isn't a playoff predictor on a website somewhere that let's you put in the remaining results and spew out the playoff match ups. I did try a quick google but maybe I'm searching with the wrong term.

The BBC does them here for every football (soccer) league (division) in the 2nd half of the season and its good for working for scenarios, though the actual score of games matters a lot more as we use goal difference as the tie breaker in the first instance.

There are a couple... Here are two... there could be more. I've always found the yahoo version more user friendly.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario

wait... is that right? I thought, in that scenario, that our tie-breaker business would be solely with Cincy.. i'll read it again...

wait... is that right? I thought, in that scenario, that our tie-breaker business would be solely with Cincy.. i'll read it again...

If, and I hate using that word, but that is all we have at this point.

IF, the three teams tied are the Steelers/Benglas/Colts, then they will break the tie between Pitt/Cincy first, and then the Colts would then be tied with the team that won the tiebreaker and they would then break that tie based on the guidelines.

If, it were SD/Pitt/IND, then it would go straight to the 3 team section under wildcard.

Again, with 5 games to play there are a lot of "What ifs" that come into play,

We would be the 5 seed...Pitt 6 and Cincy 7...

Cincy would be 7th in a 5-6-7 tie immediately because they lost twice to Pitt...

what I'm getting at its......we need Pitt to hang the 6th loss on Cincy.....

If the 3 dont tie....well...then it gets stupider than the NFL's challenge rules

also.....If the Colts are going to lose 7...(3 more the rest of the way)....its better that it be Detorit (an NFC team)

rather that Buffalo, KC or Tennessee...That's why the Buffalo game is critical Sunday...

If we are 9-7 but 2 of the losses are to the Bears and Detroit.........we can probably make the post-season...with only 5 AFC losses ....

If we are 9-7 with 6 AFC losses....we're toast, right?

Cincy would be 7th in a 5-6-7 tie immediately because they lost twice to Pitt...

If the 3 dont tie....well...then it gets stupider than the NFL's challenge rules

It would all depend on how each team ends up at 9-7 or 10-6 or whatever record. If the Colts finish 10-6 with the two losses to Houston that would give them a 7-5 record vs. AFC teams. Pitt has 5 afc games left and 1 NFC game. If they lose the NFC game and 1 of the AFC games, then they too would be 7-5 in the AFC so then it would go to the next tie-breaker.

To me it's far too complicated at this point to break it down in a great detail..

That usually only shapes up with a 2 weeks or so to go. We aren't there yet.

also.....If the Colts are going to lose 7...(3 more the rest of the way)....its better that it be Detorit (an NFC team)

rather that Buffalo, KC or Tennessee...That's why the Buffalo game is critical Sunday...

If we are 9-7 but 2 of the losses are to the Bears and Detroit.........we can probably make the post-season...with only 5 AFC losses ....

If we are 9-7 with 6 AFC losses....we're toast, right?

It's always better to lose to the opposing conference than the same conference. Again, it depends on what the other teams win/lose just as it matters what games the Colts win/lose...

There are just too many scenarios for the Colts right now.

Pitt has the tb with Cincy so far and therefore the Colts only tiebreaker would be with the Bengals

If, and I hate using that word, but that is all we have at this point.

IF, the three teams tied are the Steelers/Benglas/Colts, then they will break the tie between Pitt/Cincy first, and then the Colts would then be tied with the team that won the tiebreaker and they would then break that tie based on the guidelines.

If, it were SD/Pitt/IND, then it would go straight to the 3 team section under wildcard.

Again, with 5 games to play there are a lot of "What ifs" that come into play,

thank you for the clarification

so, basically.... in addition to rooting for the colts vs. buffalo this week, we should also be hoping that Seattle, Oakland, Cleveland, Jags, and Ravens all pull off wins this week...that would make the math a little less complicated, but not much so considering our team is unpredictable enough to beat or be beaten by anyone at this point....

Just once in my life, and it will most likely NEVER happen b/c of all the ties that would precede it...I would like to see it come down to the coin toss! It would be unprecedented!! (under the modern system, maybe in the old days it happened) They could televise it live...The one coin toss I remember well is the one from the original book "Friday Night Lights", where the coaches of the tied teams gathered at a greasy spoon diner late on a Friday night and had the toss to see if Permian or the other team (can't remember) would go to the HS playoffs. Permian won it, and went on to the state finals.

Just once in my life, and it will most likely NEVER happen b/c of all the ties that would precede it...I would like to see it come down to the coin toss! It would be unprecedented!! (under the modern system, maybe in the old days it happened) They could televise it live...The one coin toss I remember well is the one from the original book "Friday Night Lights", where the coaches of the tied teams gathered at a greasy spoon diner late on a Friday night and had the toss to see if Permian or the other team (can't remember) would go to the HS playoffs. Permian won it, and went on to the state finals.

I dont know, CM...I dont know... :smack: