Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck's interception in the Jag game...

bluephantom87

A lot of fans keep focusing on his interception as one of the main causes of losing the Jag game. The Jags came away with 3pts from the interception. Luck put up 14pts and was their LEADING rusher going into halftime. Just like the previous week the Colts went into halftime with a lead and had a feel to the game as if they could blow it open in the second half. In both games the coaching staff chose to establish the run with little success (3 and outs) in the second half allowing those teams to hang around instead of keeping the ball in Luck's hands. Make no mistake about it whether the staff likes it or not the passing game gives THIS team the best chance of moving the ball and scoring. Eli threw 5 against the Bucs but he kept putting up points is why they won a couple of weeks ago. Peyton taught us all in Colt nation run game or not, good defense or bad, one interception or five, three possessions or six in a half it's STILL about that scoreboard and who has the most points. So when you're not scoring everything is magnified and the opposing team has a chance to steal one. Being outscored 19-3 in the second half is why they lost. :facepalm:

A lot of fans keep focusing on his interception as one of the main causes of losing the Jag game. The Jags came away with 3pts from the interception. Luck put up 14pts and was their LEADING rusher going into halftime. Just like the previous week the Colts went into halftime with a lead and had a feel to the game as if they could blow it open in the second half. In both games the coaching staff chose to establish the run with little success (3 and outs) in the second half allowing those teams to hang around instead of keeping the ball in Luck's hands. Make no mistake about it whether the staff likes it or not the passing game gives THIS team the best chance of moving the ball and scoring. Eli threw 5 against the Bucs but he kept putting up points is why they won a couple of weeks ago. Peyton taught us all in Colt nation run game or not, good defense or bad, one interception or five, three possessions or six in a half it's STILL about that scoreboard and who has the most points. So when you're not scoring everything is magnified and the opposing team has a chance to steal one. Being outscored 19-3 in the second half is why they lost. :facepalm:

No one has a problem with Luck throwing the ball, even if it results in a few interceptions.

To the contrary, the interception, and the game situation at the time, is a perfect example of why the team didn't go conservative in the second half.

if your talking about the actual plays themselves and not the run pass ratio I agree

Peyton also has 1 super bowl ring compared to his brother whose team had a better running game and defense.

Some ppl fail to understand that running the ball helps the QB and your defense, regardless of how much yds you gain, your defense is on the sidelines resting.

I remember an article when Manning was with the colts and he was talking about how he needs to help the defense more by prolonging their time on the field, and luck as a rookie qb has a very negative chance of doing that with how bad this line is and cause he's a rookie.

As for the pic it was a bad pass and he shouldn't have thrown the ball to Wayne like that, he very well could have had two more pics in that game as well

Or how many times we threw in the second half?

I don't mind him throwing that many Times since Peyton did it too. But we should use more Screens & Short plays as Gavin said. The o-line isn't too Great so you slow down the Rush by doing Quick plays. And with the Speed we have, this should work to our Advantage imo

Peyton also has 1 super bowl ring compared to his brother whose team had a better running game and defense.

Some ppl fail to understand that running the ball helps the QB and your defense, regardless of how much yds you gain, your defense is on the sidelines resting.

I remember an article when Manning was with the colts and he was talking about how he needs to help the defense more by prolonging their time on the field, and luck as a rookie qb has a very negative chance of doing that with how bad this line is and cause he's a rookie.

As for the pic it was a bad pass and he shouldn't have thrown the ball to Wayne like that, he very well could have had two more pics in that game as well

True.. but the point being is Eli has always had a run game and defense for the most part and the Colts don't. If we had a run game and a throwing qb then it should be about a 50-50 ratio but if you can't run right now whether it's because of the o-line or not having a bruising back, then you play to your strength which is the passing game. Running the ball with no success will still have your defense on the field but at least passing you're giving yourself a better chance to score. Don't change what got you the lead in the first place.

I don't mind him throwing that many Times since Peyton did it too. But we should use more Screens & Short plays as Gavin said. The o-line isn't too Great so you slow down the Rush by doing Quick plays. And with the Speed we have, this should work to our Advantage imo

What does Peyton have to do with Luck? Different quarterback, different receivers, different coaches, different team situations.

I'll maintain slinging the ball that many times is not Lucks game or not maximizing he strengths

I think we were very balanced in the second half, up until we lost the lead and were up against the clock. But we still moved the ball very effectively on the next three possessions, predominantly with the pass.

True.. but the point being is Eli has always had a run game and defense for the most part and the Colts don't. If we had a run game and a throwing qb then it should be about a 50-50 ratio but if you can't run right now whether it's because of the o-line or not having a bruising back, then you play to your strength which is the passing game. Running the ball with no success will still have your defense on the field but at least passing you're giving yourself a better chance to score. Don't change what got you the lead in the first place.

We threw the ball plenty in the second half. Am not trying to be a jerk, but I really don't think people realize this. There was nothing different about our offensive gameplan in the second half. We just turned the ball over and got hurt by penalties, not to mention the missed kick and the two defensive mistakes.

Sometimes he focuses on Wayne too much. It's like Drew Bledsoe and Ben Coates when Bledsoe was in his early years.

If you go back and take a look at that hail mary pass he threw, there was a guy wide open in the left side of the end zone, but Luck never saw him because he was zeroed in on Reggie Wayne. He'll fix it in time I'm sure.

I think we were very balanced in the second half, up until we lost the lead and were up against the clock. But we still moved the ball very effectively on the next three possessions, predominantly with the pass.

I just think Lucks more effective when throwing 30-35 times (average of course) throwing it 46 times (Lucks season high now) doesnt exactly equal a dominant passing game as I have no doubt you know, I am not at home right now and wont be for at least another day or two but I think we should use more variety when passing, shorter routes continue the roll outs for Lucks and use our Tight Ends more from those roll outs as well as Donald Brown

The colts didn't have a running game because they didn't work towards it, with Peyton the colts wanted a pass first team, when he left you saw how quickly they went to running the ball more... The best way to learn how to run block is during the game not practice and the colts are doing that and they will get better.

Luck is a rookie QB not some veteran, if you put the ball in his hands too many times he will turn It over.. I think his hardest test will be the Packers... I'm hoping he doesn't stare down his wideouts

I just think Lucks more effective when throwing 30-35 times (average of course) throwing it 46 times (Lucks season high now) doesnt exactly equal a dominant passing game as I have no doubt you know, I am not at home right now and wont be for at least another day or two but I think we should use more variety when passing, shorter routes continue the roll outs for Lucks and use our Tight Ends more from those roll outs as well as Donald Brown

Agreed, but the problem is it appears we can't pass the ball 30-35 times because we'd have to run the ball that much as well and we're not a good enough running team to do that. Our offense would stall-out too often. We have Luck throwing as much as we are because we 'have' to, not, I don't believe, because we 'want' to....

Just my 2 cents....

Sometimes he focuses on Wayne too much. It's like Drew Bledsoe and Ben Coates when Bledsoe was in his early years.

If you go back and take a look at that hail mary pass he threw, there was a guy wide open in the left side of the end zone, but Luck never saw him because he was zeroed in on Reggie Wayne. He'll fix it in time I'm sure.

He definitely will I'm sure he's hearing the same thing from arians

You don`t say anything about all the bad passes Andrew thew even with so much time to throw.

You dish out heavy blame on the O-Line for a bad running attack, yet I see Brown just crashing into the line between the tackles showing NO vision for holes/creases.