Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Analyst likes the Colts two LB Signings.....

NewColtsFan

Someone asked for the Doyle story.....      I'm cutting and pasting here....

I strongly disagree that we paid Doyle a "premium" as the story states at the end.   

ind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

TE Jack Doyle, Colts

Grade: C+

Doyle was relatively anonymous in playing behind Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener before taking over for the departed Fleener in the starting lineup last season. He delivered a reasonable season for a tight end, catching 59 passes for 584 yards and five touchdowns. Doyle's usage rate, though, is downright weird: Since entering the league, he has the highest catch rate of any wide receiver or tight end in football with at least 100 targets (79.7 percent), but Doyle has also been targeted with the shortest average pass over that same time frame, at 4.7 air yards per throw.

All of this is to say that Doyle seems relatively fungible, particularly in a year in which the draft is full of freak athletes at TE. The Colts have plenty of cap room, but they basically locked themselves into a middling second tight end for the next couple of seasons by guaranteeing Doyle $9.5 million as part of a three-year, $19 million deal. There are worse deals, but Indy paid a premium for a relatively low-ceiling player.

1 hour ago, KB said:

Meant to put a quote. Whoops. If we draft two olb's I don't see him making it. We could grab someone to develop in the fourth and play Mingos special teams spot and help out in the future. Unless Mingo comes into camp and actually shows promise. Which I don't see happening

You don't give someone 2 or 2.5 million to play special teams. He may not make the team, but they plan on him to as of right now.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Someone asked for the Doyle story.....      I'm cutting and pasting here....

I strongly disagree that we paid Doyle a "premium" as the story states at the end.   

ind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

TE Jack Doyle, Colts

Grade: C+

Doyle was relatively anonymous in playing behind Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener before taking over for the departed Fleener in the starting lineup last season. He delivered a reasonable season for a tight end, catching 59 passes for 584 yards and five touchdowns. Doyle's usage rate, though, is downright weird: Since entering the league, he has the highest catch rate of any wide receiver or tight end in football with at least 100 targets (79.7 percent), but Doyle has also been targeted with the shortest average pass over that same time frame, at 4.7 air yards per throw.

All of this is to say that Doyle seems relatively fungible, particularly in a year in which the draft is full of freak athletes at TE. The Colts have plenty of cap room, but they basically locked themselves into a middling second tight end for the next couple of seasons by guaranteeing Doyle $9.5 million as part of a three-year, $19 million deal. There are worse deals, but Indy paid a premium for a relatively low-ceiling player.

The 4.7 average is more of a product of offensive design and being a safety net for Luck. Just saying.

On 3/11/2017 at 0:24 AM, jvan1973 said:

I agree that Doyle is just a guy.   But I'm just a fan.  Ballard thinks otherwise.  I hope he can continue his success.    Chud has been making TE look good for a long time.  I'm smart enough to know,  That those in the building know far more than Mr

It's funny to me that they put players out there who make extremely tough catches over the middle on checkdowns (something not every player can do) and they call him "just a guy".  

His athleticism is limited but he's a set of reliable hands.  And if you ask me that's something you need.

Not to mention his blocking is better then Allen's who's considered a "blocking TE"

On 3/12/2017 at 11:13 AM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

If you actually read between the lines last year you could see that Doyle was putting it together actually. I for one could tell he'd be a solid player and easily starting caliber with a QB like Andrew Luck to boost his level of play. 

Yes, but "prior" means BEFORE, and Austin made a great point in 2015 would you have been ok if someone told you Doyle would be the starting TE in 2017 because I know I'd have a huge problem with that considering who we drafted in 2012 taking up all of Doyle's playing time. Doyle was just a blocking TE his first few years, last year he proved he can do more than just block. But in 2015 he was a blocking TE that rarely got looks from Luck when he was on the field. 

51 minutes ago, rabidfan77 said:

Yes, but "prior" means BEFORE, and Austin made a great point in 2015 would you have been ok if someone told you Doyle would be the starting TE in 2017 because I know I'd have a huge problem with that considering who we drafted in 2012 taking up all of Doyle's playing time. Doyle was just a blocking TE his first few years, last year he proved he can do more than just block. But in 2015 he was a blocking TE that rarely got looks from Luck when he was on the field. 

The Colts kept him on the roster when there were a lot of fans in this forum thought he was a waste of time. The Colts seen something in him so maybe there are a lot of us who have a problem with letting players develop. Wanting instant results is not reality.