Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's talk UDFA: Mekale Mckay

twfish

Continuing on the series with one player who probably has the most mouth watering measurements, especially in this year's draft. At 6'4 207 he ran a 4.55 40. I am surprised someone didn't grab him with a 7th because of his size alone. He was a basketball star and had offers from Kentucky but chose football instead. He's a big bodied WR that knows how to use it going after the ball. He has good straight line speed and is a perfect WR for a back shoulder fade. He has a limited route tree and doesn't really have quickness coming out of his breaks. His hands are not the greatest and he is not a willing blocker and looks lost trying to block. I will definitely be watching him during training camp. I see him going on the practice squad though I can't see the staff letting a kid go with his measurables. I don't think he would have as big of an impact as smith but if he could improve his rout running and catching he could have a shot at being a 5th to 6th WR but likely a practice squad player

I am with you in predicting he makes the PS.

One thing that excites me about him is that he seems to be good at picking up YAC (something we have been sorely lacking).  He is definitely raw, which is something I kind of like.  A guy like Duron Carter, who had similar measurables, who was a football player his whole life and even played at a professional (granted not the NFL) level and who did not pan out is worrisome to me.  This guy has pretty much the same physical traits as Carter, but is at least known to be raw, so I have some faith he could develop on the PS with proper coaching.

He has a lot of critics to disprove.  

Who was the real tall WR we had in camp about five or six years ago?  I think we may have carried him on the PS.   A lot of people thought he'd be an endzone threat (before Coby was supposed to be the endzone threat).

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He has a lot of critics to disprove.  

Who was the real tall WR we had in camp about five or six years ago?  I think we may have carried him on the PS.   A lot of people thought he'd be an endzone threat (before Coby was supposed to be the endzone threat).

I'm not sure who you might be talking about -- Da'Rick Rogers maybe (2014)?  He made our active roster (probably his most notable play was in the KC playoff comeback) and he got booted from the team because of off-field issues.

Otherwise, I don't really remember a tall WR (besides Duron Carter) during the Luck era.  There were a couple of 6'2" ish WRs a couple years before Luck (Kole Heckendorf and Chris Brooks), but I don't remember either of them being touted to be our next redzone threat.

12 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I'm not sure who you might be talking about -- Da'Rick Rogers maybe (2014)?  He made our active roster (probably his most notable play was in the KC playoff comeback) and he got booted from the team because of off-field issues.

Otherwise, I don't really remember a tall WR (besides Duron Carter) during the Luck era.  There were a couple of 6'2" ish WRs a couple years before Luck (Kole Heckendorf and Chris Brooks), but I don't remember either of them being touted to be our next redzone threat.

I finally remembered. 2010, Dudley Guice.  6'3".  Outstanding measurables in speed and vertical.   I remember people getting excited from his pro day tape.

Just couldn't play.

In high school he had a bad attitude. Would just take himself out of haves whenever he wanted. Refused to play defense. I talk to his coach from Arkansas a few weeks back and basically said he could have been good, but doesn't put effort into it. Maybe being the NFL will finally pull the drive out of him.

Just now, louisvillecolts said:

In high school he had a bad attitude. Would just take himself out of games whenever he wanted. Refused to play defense. I talk to his coach from Arkansas a few weeks back and basically said he could have been good, but doesn't put effort into it. Maybe being the NFL will finally pull the drive out of him.

37 minutes ago, louisvillecolts said:

In high school he had a bad attitude. Would just take himself out of haves whenever he wanted. Refused to play defense. I talk to his coach from Arkansas a few weeks back and basically said he could have been good, but doesn't put effort into it. Maybe being the NFL will finally pull the drive out of him.

Hmmm that's interesting because I was reading he moved to Cincinnati to be closer to his grandma and got the impression he was a good kid...

A WR who struggles to catch the ball? McKay had a 12% drop rate last season He doesn't run good routes, really rounds them off, doesn't like to block etc. It seems the only thing he has going for him is he's 6'5. I'm not a fan. I read somewhere he scored every 6.7 receptions or something like that. I'm not a fan of a WR who struggled to catch the ball 

The UDFA  I really like at WR is Teavun Smith who we have covered. 

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I finally remembered. 2010, Dudley Guice.  6'3".  Outstanding measurables in speed and vertical.   I remember people getting excited from his pro day tape.

Just couldn't play.

I vaguely remember him -- I just looked him up to jog my memory. 

I think (hope?) McKay's college ball at Cincinnati gives him a benefit over Guice (who played at Northwestern State in Louisiana), and would hope  nobody looks at him with expectations of him being anything more than he is right now -- a project.  If he works out, great -- if not, oh well, he was a UDFA for a reason.