Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steve Spurrier top 5 stat

BloodyChamp

I remember in the late 2000s sometime when passing records first started breaking seemingly every game, that Steve Spurrier was in the top 5 or 10 of some typical list of Favre, Manning, etc. I distinctly remember his name on the graphic during whatever game I was watching. They didn't elaborate much, just showed in, said a few words and on to the next play. Does anyone remember what that was? It was NOT the last team to beat the Pats stat which he also owned until the Giants loss. That was a different stat.

Spurrier played for the 49ers in the late 60's and early 70's. 

They probably were referring to his 1972 season, which was his best season

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1972.htm

I used to hang around with Bucs fans when i lived in Florida. If you ever meet an old one that can tell you about the debuting winless season they had, Spurrier was the QB when they went 0-14. (and 3 years later they had that crazy season where they won 10 games and rode to the NFC Championship).

Spurrier has lost his drive. The Gamecocks high brass apparently is happy just having winning seasons every year. When he was firing on all cylinders though, he was the most annoying, crybaby straight up jerk on Earth. He was Cutler multiplied by Jeff George to the Kerry Collins power as a player. Then as a coach...where do I begin lol! This forum knows a guy named Jim Mora pretty well. Steve was Jim if you replace Jim's yelling with crying like a girl.

But I still miss the guy? Idk...

Spurrier has lost his drive. The Gamecocks high brass apparently is happy just having winning seasons every year. When he was firing on all cylinders though, he was the most annoying, crybaby straight up jerk on Earth. He was Cutler multiplied by Jeff George to the Kerry Collins power as a player. Then as a coach...where do I begin lol! This forum knows a guy named Jim Mora pretty well. Steve was Jim if you replace Jim's yelling with crying like a girl.

But I still miss the guy? Idk...

Did I miss something?     Is that what you intended to say?

Is there something higher to aspire to than "....happy just having winning seasons every year"....??

What more is there than that?

Did I miss something? Is that what you intended to say?

Is there something higher to aspire to than "....happy just having winning seasons every year"....??

What more is there than that?

It's like you want the Patriots fans to come abuse you.

It's like you want the Patriots fans to come abuse you.

Well........   one is college football,  the other is pro football.

But other than that,  I'm not following.

I think about 95 percent of the college football programs would "settle for a winning record every year."   And the percentage may be even higher than that.

Well........ one is college football, the other is pro football.

But other than that, I'm not following.

I think about 95 percent of the college football programs would "settle for a winning record every year." And the percentage may be even higher than that.

And the 5% is the SEC

And the 5% is the SEC

If your argument is only winning the NC is good enough and just having a winning record isn't good enough,  I'd respond with that's a terrible argument on the college level.

It's one thing to have that view on the NFL level where winning is everything....

It's another to have that view on the college level where there are many, many more issues at hand.    Sure, winning is important, but do it without cheating,  and get the kids an education, because even in the SEC,  most kids are not going to sniff the NFL and they have to have a degree to have some sort of future. 

Saban is the best and even he doesn't win every year.    LSU's Les Miles has won one NC, and he still has a job.   Urban Meyer cut lots and lots of corners (Aaron Hernandez) and got out of town while the getting was good.     Mark Richt at Georgia hasn't won one NC, and he's been the HC for more than a decade.    So, lots of programs are not willing to fire their HC simply because they're not winning NC's all the time.    If you're winning,  you should stay employed.

Huge John McKay fan!!!!!! That's where Suprrier got his mouth from. The Buccs actually had 3 good seasons out of 4 before the drought including that 10 win season but Spurrier was gone by then.

That 1979 Bucs team was pretty good. Doug Williams was the QB, who later on became the first black QB to win a SB when he went to Washington.

1979 is actually one of my favorite years in the NFL. I love the Houston Oilers team from that year with Earl Campbell and their defense don't get much credit. That's also the only year the Saints ever went 8-8 under Archie Manning (who made the pro bowl that year), Cleveland had a pretty good team that year too under Brian Sipe (future NFL MVP in a few years) 

Of the Bucs, the most memorable game I heard about was the "flood bowl" vs Kansas City. Heard about this game a few times in Florida. They won 3-0 in a game that was so rained out, they almost cancelled it. 

If your argument is only winning the NC is good enough and just having a winning record isn't good enough, I'd respond with that's a terrible argument on the college level.

It's one thing to have that view on the NFL level where winning is everything....

It's another to have that view on the college level where there are many, many more issues at hand. Sure, winning is important, but do it without cheating, and get the kids an education, because even in the SEC, most kids are not going to sniff the NFL and they have to have a degree to have some sort of future.

Saban is the best and even he doesn't win every year. LSU's Les Miles has won one NC, and he still has a job. Urban Meyer cut lots and lots of corners (Aaron Hernandez) and got out of town while the getting was good. Mark Richt at Georgia hasn't won one NC, and he's been the HC for more than a decade. So, lots of programs are not willing to fire their HC simply because they're not winning NC's all the time. If you're winning, you should stay employed.

Yyyyyyyyyyeah Saban, Meyer and Miles have ran such clean programs. Richt was on the hotseat until 2012 until they started to atleast get some regular season upsets.

And I never said it was my view. It's the Gamecock's view.

That 1979 Bucs team was pretty good. Doug Williams was the QB, who later on became the first black QB to win a SB when he went to Washington.

1979 is actually one of my favorite years in the NFL. I love the Houston Oilers team from that year with Earl Campbell and their defense don't get much credit. That's also the only year the Saints ever went 8-8 under Archie Manning (who made the pro bowl that year), Cleveland had a pretty good team that year too under Brian Sipe (future NFL MVP in a few years)

Of the Bucs, the most memorable game I heard about was the "flood bowl" vs Kansas City. Heard about this game a few times in Florida. They won 3-0 in a game that was so rained out, they almost cancelled it.

Yeah what a game. The offense had sputtered and they lost a few games at the end of the season, so they had to beat the Chiefs to make the playoffs. They got 3 points in a monsoon which was enough on that day.