Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Analysis From Venturi On Colts Defensive Problems

krunk

Your opinion is as good as mine or anybody else.  We simply don't know how it will be done.  One thing is for sure, Luck knows if he wants every penny that he deserves it will put us in a position to not be able to sign an extra key guy or two.  Owners don't just throw around 20-25 Million dollars.  Remember Irsay cutting Peyton after neck surgery?  I think alot of it had to do with the franchise knowing what they had with Andrew Luck, but that's a lot of money for not just one season but to give it to somebody year in and year out!  We will pay Andrew no matter the asking price, and we will be in the playoffs pretty much every year until he retires, but if he wants to squeeze every penny out (which I don't think he is that kind of guy), then the franchise wont reach its max potential.  Having him make 17 million oppose to 25 million a yr is the difference of a great player vs. a below average player.  It is the difference of being a Divisional round team or a Super Bowl team.

Yes, it is a math equation and the difference is $8 Million.  Luck clearly thinks a little different than most young studs in the league - and we all love that about him, as do his teammates.  Just not sure that will have very much to do with letting his agent do his job when it comes time.  It's a nice reflection on his personality that we even think that he might give up 50% more money, but he knows it is a business and that the business details are not to be directly trifled with.

Your opinion is as good as mine or anybody else. We simply don't know how it will be done. One thing is for sure, Luck knows if he wants every penny that he deserves it will put us in a position to not be able to sign an extra key guy or two. Owners don't just throw around 20-25 Million dollars. Remember Irsay cutting Peyton after neck surgery? I think alot of it had to do with the franchise knowing what they had with Andrew Luck, but that's a lot of money for not just one season but to give it to somebody year in and year out! We will pay Andrew no matter the asking price, and we will be in the playoffs pretty much every year until he retires, but if he wants to squeeze every penny out (which I don't think he is that kind of guy), then the franchise wont reach its max potential. Having him make 17 million oppose to 25 million a yr is the difference of a great player vs. a below average player. It is the difference of being a Divisional round team or a Super Bowl team.

Squeezing every penny? Taking market value isn't squeezing every penny. There's a lot of wiggle room between $17m and $25m. The sweet spot, right in the middle, is what most people think Luck will get -- $20-22m/year. I don't know why you're fixated on $25m.

If Luck gets market value for a QB, the team will be fine. It's not going to cost us all of our good players, and it's not going to handicap us. Again, the focus should and will be on the draft.

Squeezing every penny? Taking market value isn't squeezing every penny. There's a lot of wiggle room between $17m and $25m. The sweet spot, right in the middle, is what most people think Luck will get -- $20-22m/year. I don't know why you're fixated on $25m.

If Luck gets market value for a QB, the team will be fine. It's not going to cost us all of our good players, and it's not going to handicap us. Again, the focus should and will be on the draft.

I'm not implying he will squeeze every penny.  It was a what if scenario.  For 17M and 25M, those are numbers I'm pulling out of my head.  Nothing concrete or even close for that matter.  It is a shot in the dark for the range of a good QB to the best QB in my mind.  I would be ecstatic with market value for Luck's new contract.  I was only saying he is worth more than 20-22 but hope he doesn't want 25.  Im sure the Colts would pay him 25 if that was where the line was drawn or he walks, but I don't think he is that kind of guy...

I also think we will still be fine if he wanted a little more than what alot of people think he will ask for.  The key is to not get in a financial bind to prevent growth for the future.  Either way I think we will be okay, it would be unfortunate if he did demand as much as he is worth.

I'm not implying he will squeeze every penny.  It was a what if scenario.  For 17M and 25M, those are numbers I'm pulling out of my head.  Nothing concrete or even close for that matter.  It is a shot in the dark for the range of a good QB to the best QB in my mind.  I would be ecstatic with market value for Luck's new contract.  I was only saying he is worth more than 20-22 but hope he doesn't want 25.  Im sure the Colts would pay him 25 if that was where the line was drawn or he walks, but I don't think he is that kind of guy...

I also think we will still be fine if he wanted a little more than what alot of people think he will ask for.  The key is to not get in a financial bind to prevent growth for the future.  Either way I think we will be okay, it would be unfortunate if he did demand as much as he is worth.

The market for top QBs is $20-22m. Rodgers' deal is technically $18m/year, but because it's a five year extension, we can count it as $22m/year. That's the highest value. So what Luck is worth, as of right now, is $22m/year, at most (and that's assuming we don't mention that Rodgers has an MVP, a Super Bowl MVP, and the two most efficient QB seasons in league history, while Luck, you know, doesn't). 

Pending what happens between now and Luck's new deal, his value is $20-22m. Seeing as how he'll never get to free agency, there will never be a bidding war for him, just like pretty much every other top ranked QB. He'll probably get something toward the high end of what other top QBs have gotten, maybe slightly more, and a bunch of guaranteed money. I don't see Luck asking for or getting more than that, unless the market changes drastically between now and then. And as I mentioned earlier, top QB salaries have been holding tight for a few years now, so I don't think we'll suddenly jump up to $25m/year.

If it were up to me, I'd offer him 8 years, $170m during this coming offseason, and hope it gets done. Give him $80m guaranteed (basically the first four years), with a $32m in bonus money, and structure the salaries so that his cap hits are pretty much even throughout the deal. This would allow for a simple restructure/extension after five years, it would make him the second highest paid player in the league, and it would give him the most guaranteed money in history. His people might want to wait for Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, and the 2004 class, but I think that offer would get them off the fence.

Other than the corners, he doesn't seem to think much of the defensive personnel at all. His main complaint is there just aren't any game changers in the front seven ...no players that keep you up at night. Think he likes the potential of Hughes though.

no super stars in front 7 scare other teams offense  such as a jj watts.