Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mcafee's New Foundation

fthoodcoltsfan

In a year with so little to be happy or excited about, this guy's one of the bright spots on our team. I just saw this article on IndyStar that made me respect him even more. He's starting a foundation to help give a full-ride scholarship for children of military families. I'm a little biased, being former military myself, and with my wife currently in the Army and deployed to Afghanistan, but anyone who honors the military gets even more points in my book. Here's the link: http://www.indystar.com/article/20111121/SPORTS03/111210363/He-aims-aid-military-kids

In a year with so little to be happy or excited about, this guy's one of the bright spots on our team. I just saw this article on IndyStar that made me respect him even more. He's starting a foundation to help give a full-ride scholarship for children of military families. I'm a little biased, being former military myself, and with my wife currently in the Army and deployed to Afghanistan, but anyone who honors the military gets even more points in my book. Here's the link: http://www.indystar....d-military-kids

Thank you for sharing this. I love :wub: Pat. Not only has he been one of the few bright spots this year, but reading this and knowing that he is growing his hair for Locks of Love tells me that he is a really great guy.

Also, thank you :thanks: to you and your wife for your service. I hope and pray that she soon safely returns home.

"We're going to give full college scholarships to the son or daughter of a military family," he said. "This a legit opportunity to change a life. You tell somebody: 'Hey, this is your chance to do something big and take care of your dad who took care of all of us, or take care of your mom, who took care of all of us.' "

Loved that comment. Pat is one of my favorite Colts players. What a great way to give back to those who have given so much.

In a year with so little to be happy or excited about, this guy's one of the bright spots on our team. I just saw this article on IndyStar that made me respect him even more. He's starting a foundation to help give a full-ride scholarship for children of military families. I'm a little biased, being former military myself, and with my wife currently in the Army and deployed to Afghanistan, but anyone who honors the military gets even more points in my book. Here's the link: http://www.indystar....d-military-kids

Awesome.

Nothing can detract from this.

Thank you for sharing this. I love :wub: Pat. Not only has he been one of the few bright spots this year, but reading this and knowing that he is growing his hair for Locks of Love tells me that he is a really great guy.

Also, thank you :thanks: to you and your wife for your service. I hope and pray that she soon safely returns home.

Is that why he is letting his hair grow so long? Personally, I don't think his hair looks that good, but it all makes sense now. I had no idea Mcafee was so involved in charity work. Good for him!

Is that why he is letting his hair grow so long? Personally, I don't think his hair looks that good, but it all makes sense now. I had no idea Mcafee was so involved in charity work. Good for him!

Yes, so is Curtis Painter (I think). The original article written about this has been archived. But, this is what it said:

It's difficult to miss the hair. We're talking about Colts puntermag-glass_10x10.gif Pat McAfee's wavy, semi- unkempt, shoulder-length mane he stuffs into his helmet.

Enjoy it while it's here. At the end of the season, the plan is for it to be lopped off for a greater cause.

McAfeemag-glass_10x10.gif, a free spirit, has been growing his hair since his 2009 rookie year to benefit Locks of Love. The nonprofit organization provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children suffering from long-term medical hair loss.

"I have a lot of people in my family and close friends that have been affected by cancer," McAfee said. "It's a horrible thing. One of the worst things about it is the physical appearance.

"People get embarrassed a little bit. The wig is something that helps. Anything you can do to help, why not?''

McAfee had two friends who lost their hair while going through radiation treatment.

"We all shaved our heads," he said. "Why not? Do what you can do."

McAfee said he discussed the hair-raising venture with quarterback Curtis Painter and offensive lineman Kyle DeVan in early 2009. He thought they were onboard.

"DeVan comes in the next week with his hair cut," McAfee said, smiling. "Curtis continued to grow his hair out, but he had a girlfriend who made him trim it every week.

"I was the only one who really kept it going. Now I'm finally at the point I can almost cut it. I think I have about an inch to go. Right after the season, I'll cut it."

If not for Locks of Love, it's doubtful McAfee's head would be quite so bushy.

"It gets annoying," he said. "I don't know how women do it. I wake up and my hair is all in a frizz and I've got these knots. All I do is tie it up in a ponytail because I'm like a lazy chick."

http://network.yardb...haircut/6327946

Thanks SheColt! She's coming home in less than a month. Can't wait!