Photo

Team Phrases I hate the most...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#41 ConBro

ConBro
  • 1137 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

That's pretty funny actually - depending on how often he said it of course.

haha "too many times" is the answer to that :P

:blueshoe: 2013 AFC South Champions :blueshoe:

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#42 PatMcAfeeFan

PatMcAfeeFan
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

I also can't stand Dallas being America's Team. I also hate when people refer to the Charger as the Super Chargers. 

"Everyone just drink the kool-aid n leap n2 the blue waterfalls of faith...automatic 4the people..the smoker u drink,the player u get!"-Jim Irsay

#43 BLOODontheTRACKS

BLOODontheTRACKS
  • 9001 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Walk down Michigan Ave. towards the lake, and trust me, you'll get it lol.

It has been a long debate on the origin of the nickname. Any city by the lake is going to be windy

#44 GrizzColt

GrizzColt
  • 1088 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

I hate it when the media (or ex players) say that the NFL and MLB are better off when the Cowboys and Yankees are in the hunt.  Why can't we (small market teams) enjoy our success without stuff like that being said?  If they only want big market teams with big market dollars, they should have never let the rest of us in the league. When we compete and win, we don't need the gurus to say that's a bad thing.  It's all about ratings and money, I suppose.

#45 Nobody

Nobody
  • 5004 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

Who Dat and HTTR. :facepalm:
I will delete this when the new Colts win a Super Bowl.

Come on boys, let's get rid of the rest of my sig!

#46 BLOODontheTRACKS

BLOODontheTRACKS
  • 9001 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

I hate it when the media (or ex players) say that the NFL and MLB are better off when the Cowboys and Yankees are in the hunt.  Why can't we (small market teams) enjoy our success without stuff like that being said?  If they only want big market teams with big market dollars, they should have never let the rest of us in the league. When we compete and win, we don't need the gurus to say that's a bad thing.  It's all about ratings and money, I suppose.

Market size doesn't mean squat in the nfl

#47 Bogie

Bogie
  • 1962 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Who dat say they gonna beat them Saints?

saints-win-super-bowl-header.jpg

Oh, that's right.

Sorry just had to! :hide:  Go ahead and throw something at me :headspin:

okv09w.jpg

#48 Bogie

Bogie
  • 1962 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I totally agree with you on that. They always cover those big market teams even when they suck. Look at how ESPN ran the Jets into the ground. They were what, 5-8 and still talking about how good they were? If that was Jacksonville (or any other small market team) they wouldn't care at all. I hate how Dallas is "America's Team" this isn't the 1970's anymore. Even if it was, I'd still hate Dallas, it's like they push that in your face. Oh we're America's Team, we're better than you.

okv09w.jpg

#49 MAC

MAC

"It was a dark and stormy night"

• 4767 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I totally agree with you on that. They always cover those big market teams even when they suck. Look at how ESPN ran the Jets into the ground. They were what, 5-8 and still talking about how good they were? If that was Jacksonville (or any other small market team) they wouldn't care at all. I hate how Dallas is "America's Team" this isn't the 1970's anymore. Even if it was, I'd still hate Dallas, it's like they push that in your face. Oh we're America's Team, we're better than you.

I share your disgust for "America's team", but feel compelled to point out that Dallas wasn't a big market team when the name was applied. (Frankly I have trouble considering them as such even now.) They became "America's team" because of an extraordinary stretch of success, and the annoying nationwide fan support and media adoration is entirely the result of that. The irony being that the conspiracy theories of many here aside, only the NFL has the structure to allow this to happen. One could say exactly the same thing about the Packers. And a Dallas/GB NFC championship game would have the networks dancing in the aisles. Those same cities in basketball would have execs jumping out of windows.

I think that ESPN talks about the Jets because they are a circus (and because Bristol is 50 miles away). Last year they talked about Denver just as much. Guess what they have in common? A Jr messiah who achieved his over-the-top nationwide fame playing in (wait for it) Jacksonville. Now if "he" goes to Jacksonville next year, and worse if they start winning Super Bowls, you are going to hear so much about the Jacksonville you'll want to puncture your own ear drums.

In short, the "small market paranoia" that often appears on this site is seriously overblown.

#50 BLOODontheTRACKS

BLOODontheTRACKS
  • 9001 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

Who dat say they gonna beat them Saints?

[img]http://hollywooddame.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/saints-win-super-bowl-header.jpg[/img]

Oh, that's right.

Sorry just had to! :hide:  Go ahead and throw something at me :headspin:

Can't wait till the NO fans go back to wearing bags over their heads

#51 GrizzColt

GrizzColt
  • 1088 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

I share your disgust for "America's team", but feel compelled to point out that Dallas wasn't a big market team when the name was applied. (Frankly I have trouble considering them as such even now.) They became "America's team" because of an extraordinary stretch of success, and the annoying nationwide fan support and media adoration is entirely the result of that. The irony being that the conspiracy theories of many here aside, only the NFL has the structure to allow this to happen. One could say exactly the same thing about the Packers. And a Dallas/GB NFC championship game would have the networks dancing in the aisles. Those same cities in basketball would have execs jumping out of windows.

I think that ESPN talks about the Jets because they are a circus (and because Bristol is 50 miles away). Last year they talked about Denver just as much. Guess what they have in common? A Jr messiah who achieved his over-the-top nationwide fame playing in (wait for it) Jacksonville. Now if "he" goes to Jacksonville next year, and worse if they start winning Super Bowls, you are going to hear so much about the Jacksonville you'll want to puncture your own ear drums.

In short, the "small market paranoia" that often appears on this site is seriously overblown.

Herman Edwards said the week of the Cowboys/Redskins game.  "The league is better when Dallas is relevant."  They all say "when you wear the star on your helmet, there is more pressure on you".   The team has been middle of the pack in every conceivable statistic since their last Super Bowl almost 2 decades ago and the league is doing pretty good if you ask me.  Lots of stars, great quarterbacks, so popular they put them on Thursday night too.  Why, I ask, do they need to be relevant if we are doing fine without them?  And yes, I am implying that Goodell throw them out of the league....and into some kind of Mexican league and call it the Alamo division :)   Sorry, Mexico, I know you already have trouble with drugs but we've done a lot for you too.

#52 OldManP

OldManP
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

The Cowboys are the most valuable NFL franchise per the recent Forbes rankings.  People all over the country are fans of the Dallas Cowboys.  They have a legit claim to being the most popular NFL team in America.

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      24 Jul
    Bogie

Edmond O'Brien - a decent actor that fell off my oldies radar. D.O.A. was pretty good for a public domain film. Thank you someone for the Internet Archive.

View All Updates