Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Team Phrases I hate the most...

bap1331

Dallas Cowboys- claiming themselves as "Americas team". Only America plays football. How can there be a team for America?

Redskins- "Hail to the Redskins". Nobody is hailing to nobody! Especially the skins...

Chicago Bears- "Monsters of the Midway" Maybe the 1985 Bears but thats pretty much it...just stop...

Saints- "Who that team that gon beat dem saints?". Everyone was beating them until 2009. They have no right to say that...

What is a phrase you hate?

I don't like the America's Team thing either.  I also don't understand what the deal is with the "Who dat" saying.  I've seen so many teams say it.  I've heard the Bengals say it, the Saints, the 49ers...it might not always be "who dey think gon' beat them Saints/Bengals".  I've heard them say "Who dat? We dat! Who dat? We dat!"

I don't like the America's Team thing either.  I also don't understand what the deal is with the "Who dat" saying.  I've seen so many teams say it.  I've heard the Bengals say it, the Saints, the 49ers...it might not always be "who dey think gon' beat them Saints/Bengals".  I've heard them say "Who dat? We dat! Who dat? We dat!"

Saints have a song that says, "Who that team that gon beat them saints..." Thats why..

I'm sure I've heard the Bengals say something similar.  "Who dey think gon' beat them Bengals?" or something

The Bengals starting using "Who Dey" a couple years before the Saints adopted "Who Dat". Trying to get the saints to admit to anything that isnt positive tho, just isn't going to happen, and yes Drew Brees still need someone to explain.

I HATE the America's team thing as well, but I don't really notice the Cowboys using it, it's the media mimicking it without stopping to think about how offensive it is to anyone outside of Dallas.

The Saints phrase is local slang, isn't it? Creole or something. Like Chicago's "Da Bears". I have no problems with teams emphasizing local culture locally, it's only ridiculous when others copy it. The Bengals? You've got to be kidding me.

The Redskins phrase is a play on "Hail to the Chief", which makes it perfectly appropriate as above. Doesn't bother me at all.

And the Monsters of the Midway -if you google it - is no big deal either. They should just probably refrain from using it in years when the defense is nothing special. Frankly I'm not sure that I've heard anyone call them that since 1985 anyway. Not a big deal. It's just a silly nickname like "the purple people eaters". As long as they wear purple jerseys, be my guest. "Gang green" in NY as well. I actually think that one is clever. "Orange Crush" is good too. I'm glad that the Colts "sack pack" was kind of a one of effort though. Pretty lame.

In short, the only one that I can think of that bothers me is the Cowboys. It's reflective of their undeserved Yankee like arrogant presumption of superiority, which is just off-putting.

Dallas Cowboys- claiming themselves as "Americas team". Only America plays football. How can there be a team for America?

Redskins- "Hail to the Redskins". Nobody is hailing to nobody! Especially the skins...

Chicago Bears- "Monsters of the Midway" Maybe the 1985 Bears but thats pretty much it...just stop...

Saints- "Who that team that gon beat dem saints?". Everyone was beating them until 2009. They have no right to say that...

What is a phrase you hate?

They were Americas team in the 70s and 80s, very popular everywhere but nowadays not so much, another heavily used one there is How 'bout them Cowboys!

Hail to the Redskins, isn't that their team song or something?

Monsters of the Midway is as dated as calling Chicago the Windy City, doesn't fit anymore.

Who dat?  Cajun/mod edit expression the Saints fans used first, everyone else just copied.

Oakland Raiders Commitment to Excellence....yeah, right.

St. Louis Rams Greatest Show on Turf....I still Like this one.

Edited by shecolt
inappropriate

The Bengals starting using "Who Dey" a couple years before the Saints adopted "Who Dat". Trying to get the saints to admit to anything that isnt positive tho, just isn't going to happen, and yes Drew Brees still need someone to explain.

Don't know when Bengals used Who Dey?  but Saints fans I knew in the 80s used who dat and like I said before it was a cajun/mod edit expression been around a long time

Edited by shecolt
inappropriate

They were Americas team in the 70s and 80s, very popular everywhere but nowadays not so much, another heavily used one there is How 'bout them Cowboys!

Monsters of the Midway is as dated as calling Chicago the Windy City, doesn't fit anymore.

Who dat?  Cajun/mod edit expression the Saints fans used first, everyone else just copied.

Oakland Raiders Commitment to Excellence....yeah, right.

They still preach that nonsense down here in So Cal. . . .between ignorant raider fans and conceited charger fans. . . . .Its lonely being a colts fan in So Cal

I HATE the America's team thing as well, but I don't really notice the Cowboys using it, it's the media mimicking it without stopping to think about how offensive it is to anyone outside of Dallas.

The Saints phrase is local slang, isn't it? Creole or something. Like Chicago's "Da Bears". I have no problems with teams emphasizing local culture locally, it's only ridiculous when others copy it. The Bengals? You've got to be kidding me.

The Redskins phrase is a play on "Hail to the Chief", which makes it perfectly appropriate as above. Doesn't bother me at all.

And the Monsters of the Midway -if you google it - is no big deal either. They should just probably refrain from using it in years when the defense is nothing special. Frankly I'm not sure that I've heard anyone call them that since 1985 anyway. Not a big deal. It's just a silly nickname like "the purple people eaters". As long as they wear purple jerseys, be my guest. "Gang green" in NY as well. I actually think that one is clever. "Orange Crush" is good too. I'm glad that the Colts "sack pack" was kind of a one of effort though. Pretty lame.

In short, the only one that I can think of that bothers me is the Cowboys. It's reflective of their undeserved Yankee like arrogant presumption of superiority, which is just off-putting.

Wouldn't that be more fitting for the Kansas City Chiefs? 

None of the team phrases bother me that much.  I actually kind of like the America's Team moniker because it is as hilariously pompous as the Cowboys organization itself.  Some of the team songs are pretty brutal, though... Fly Eagles Fly and San Diego Super Chargers are especially awful.

I think I'm pretty sufficiently qualified to say that Redskins fans are, in fact, known to hail to the Redskins.  It's not any different from saying "Go Colts!"

Does the president live in Kansas City?

Don't know when Bengals used Who Dey?  but Saints fans I knew in the 80s used who dat and like I said before it was a cajun/mod edit expression been around a long time

The Bengals starting using it during their 1981 playoff run, Saints adopted it as their slogan in 1983.

Who dat? Cajun/mod edit expression the Saints fans used first, everyone else just copied.

Oakland Raiders Commitment to Excellence....yeah, right.

Chicago is still very windy

pretty much in agreement all around.  Never cared for the Americas team moniker for the Cowboys but I do like the nicknames "Monsters of the midway", "Purple people eaters" and "Orange Crush".  Though I agree, they should only be used in years when the defense is actually dominant.  Though I haven't heard the Orange crush or purple people eaters terms used in a long time.

pretty much in agreement all around. Never cared for the Americas team moniker for the Cowboys but I do like the nicknames "Monsters of the midway", "Purple people eaters" and "Orange Crush". Though I agree, they should only be used in years when the defense is actually dominant. Though I haven't heard the Orange crush or purple people eaters terms used in a long time.

They are using it in Denver now with that top 5 defense.

Chicago is still very windy

Tongue in cheek answer, this is what I was referring to, from  Wiki:

While Chicago is widely known as the "Windy City", it is not the windiest city in the United States; Brockton, Massachusetts is[citation needed]. Chicago is not significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is: 10.3 mph (16.6 km/h); Boston: 12.4 mph (20.0 km/h); New York City, Central Park: 9.3 mph (15.0 km/h); and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h).[2]

Huh? Have the Great Lakes turned into "The Placid Ponds" since I last studied geography. :D  I suspect that it's still pretty windy.

And as I alluded to earlier, Wikipedia says that Midway refers to a Park attached to the University of Chicago. The nickname was used by the University, and then it migrated to the Bears when the schools football program was shut down. It's been in use a LONG time, but that doesn't make it outdated. I think it's pretty cool - as long as they have a Butkus or Urlacher scowling on defense. Doesn't sound quite right when you aren't intimidating anyone.

Hail to the Redskins. I cannot put into words how much I hate that stupid thing. Everytime I log onto facebook I see.

"HTTR"

"Hail"

"RGIII. HAIL"

And my personal favorite that I saw a few days ago. "Just ate a sandwich. HTTR!"

The Bengals starting using it during their 1981 playoff run, Saints adopted it as their slogan in 1983.

But "who dat" is a Creole cultural thing going back decades before the NFL was created, much less before the Bengals were even a passing fancy in Paul Brown's dreams.

The use of the phrase by the Bengals just seems disturbingly out of place, and of course the irony is that for most of recorded history the answer to the question in both cities would be a resounding "pretty much anyone and everyone". :haha:

They still preach that nonsense down here in So Cal. . . .between ignorant raider fans and conceited charger fans. . . . .Its lonely being a colts fan in So Cal

:D Cute. Of course Kansas City isn't even the capital of Missouri (or Kansas for that matter). Maybe they can do "Wail to the Chiefs" or something, and hope that - like the Bengals - nobody picks up on the similarity.

It's pretty darn lonely being a Colts fan in NJ too. You're telling me that the Raiders have a big presence in LA? They only played there about ten minutes. I would think that the Rams would be far more popular, followed by "whomever the heck you feel like rooting for". Try living 40 miles from Met Life stadium, and 60 miles from Lincoln Financial field.

Hail to the Redskins. I cannot put into words how much I hate that stupid thing. Everytime I log onto facebook I see.

"HTTR"

"Hail"

"RGIII. HAIL"

And my personal favorite that I saw a few days ago. "Just ate a sandwich. HTTR!"

Sounds like the problem is your choice of friends, not the Redskins. The only time I can remember hearing the phrase in many YEARS was when they were talking about it during the recent Sunday Night game.

America's team is pretty much extinct now. I dont't hear it anymore. But it was given by the people, not the cowboys team back in the 70's for various reasons which I won't go in to one of which was the Dallas cheerleaders. lol.

They started out as the underdogs to the Steelers and Packers. America loves underdogs.

It's just not relevant anymore.

OTOH NE could be called America's team :-)

I'm sure I've heard the Bengals say something similar.  "Who dey think gon' beat them Bengals?" or something

You're right. Bengals say “Who dey! Who dey! Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals?!”

And the Saints say “Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say gonna beat dem Saints?!”

And the two fan bases always fight over who had it first-

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/12/14/who-dey-vs-who-dat/

Sounds like the problem is your choice of friends, not the Redskins. The only time I can remember hearing the phrase in many YEARS was when they were talking about it during the recent Sunday Night game.

I live in VA, it's an epidemic of "lifelong, die-hard" fans here now.

This is non-team specific....but I always get annoyed when coaches/players say "do some things." Tony Dungy said it all the time. Do what exactly?? Be more specific! I know it's nit-picky, but it's said so often it really gets old.

None of the team phrases bother me that much.  I actually kind of like the America's Team moniker because it is as hilariously pompous as the Cowboys organization itself.  Some of the team songs are pretty brutal, though... Fly Eagles Fly and San Diego Super Chargers are especially awful.

I think I'm pretty sufficiently qualified to say that Redskins fans are, in fact, known to hail to the Redskins.  It's not any different from saying "Go Colts!"

Does the president live in Kansas City?

To be totally honest since i'm not a redskins fan or knew their history,  I thought it was hail to the chief(indian) on the side of their helmets LOL.  I know it sounds silly because of their names being "redskins" but never saw the correlation.

:D Cute. Of course Kansas City isn't even the capital of Missouri (or Kansas for that matter). Maybe they can do "Wail to the Chiefs" or something, and hope that - like the Bengals - nobody picks up on the similarity.

It's pretty darn lonely being a Colts fan in NJ too. You're telling me that the Raiders have a big presence in LA? They only played there about ten minutes. I would think that the Rams would be far more popular, followed by "whomever the heck you feel like rooting for". Try living 40 miles from Met Life stadium, and 60 miles from Lincoln Financial field.

Where I live in SoCal you would think it would be a suburb of Oakland.  LA Ram fans are few and far between in "my neck of the woods" then again SD fans can't get their noses out of the air at all so I ignore them at all costs.

Next man up saying that our Colts have had I HATE, just find a man that can get the job done in the first place and it would not have to be Next Man Up!

It means "injuries are irrelevant, draft position is irrelevant, everyone on our depth chart is expected to produce - no excuses". It has nothing to do with whether or not the starter is getting the job done.

The problem of course is that it's just a motivational tool for coaches, and has no real world relevance. Injuries are often devastating, draft position is a key indicator, and it's irrational for anyone to actually expect a sub to perform as well as a starter. He is - by definition - not as good. So the phrase is largely wishful thinking that gets pretty annoying when repeated constantly. But then again most things players say are annoying and repeated constantly. I rarely watch locker room interviews (except coaches or QB) because you know exactly what they are going to say before the interviewee does.

I remember during the '09 playoffs, my roommate (Bengals fan) said that it was going to be "Who Dey vs Who Dat with the Who at halftime. I was like, "just stop." I can't stand any of that "who dey" "who dat" garbage. The answer to the first is "Joe Montana" and the answer to the second is "everybody prior to 2009" with "yourselves and Jonathan Vilma" a close second. :rollseyes:

I remember during the '09 playoffs, my roommate (Bengals fan) said that it was going to be "Who Dey vs Who Dat with the Who at halftime.

That's pretty funny actually - depending on how often he said it of course.