Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Notes from talk with Fleener's Dad at camp

Michael Lebron

Well today I had the opportunity to sit next to Coby Flenner's dad. Some interesting tidbits from our conversation. Very nice guy and happy to be a Colts guy.

1. Big party at house first day of draft anticipating a round 1 selection. Some disappointment but escatic to join Colts and Andrew Luck.

2. Fleener was an unbelievable basketball star with over 20 offers for hoops befor standing out a combine his junior year of high school

3.He has a girlfriend who is moving to Indy. Fleener will fit into the small city just fine.

4. Dad is a huge Packers fan and lives in Bears country, but now a die hard Colts fan.

5. Stanford probably could have utilized Coby more.

6. Look disappointment at Coby's early struggles at camp today

7. Coby is looking forward to lining up wide and making big plays.

I think Coby will take time to get worked into this offense. He may come a long slowly as I don't think he was as NFL ready as Allen and I think Allen will contribute more right away...but I think over time Fleener will get acclomated and perhaps in a year or so we will start seeing those big plays we are dreaming of on a regular basis and be that guy that can stretch the field by pulling saftey's and lbs down the seem. I think we just have to be patient.

I think Coby will take time to get worked into this offense. He may come a long slowly as I don't think he was as NFL ready as Allen and I think Allen will contribute more right away...but I think over time Fleener will get acclomated and perhaps in a year or so we will start seeing those big plays we are dreaming of on a regular basis and be that guy that can stretch the field by pulling saftey's and lbs down the seem. I think we just have to be patient.

Yep. In the short term, I do feel Fleener might be a disappointment.

Gronkowski stays on the field for way more downs, and his value to the Pats is more than just the notoriety he has gained catching TDs and gaining yards, thanks to Brady. Thus his extension in the offseason. He went No.42 in the draft. This draft class was weak on TEs, and Fleener was first TE drafted. Fleener's ceiling is at best Jimmy Graham, IMO, and Jimmy Graham went early round 3. So was another receiving TE like Graham, Aaron Hernandez, in round 3.

Dwayne Allen's productivity might surpass Fleener, purely by virtue of playing more downs and being more NFL ready. He is more rounded, it seems like, from all that I am hearing. If our offense was more Peyton-era-like-heavy-pass-oriented, investing in a TE like Dallas Clark early made sense. Jets went with what I call is chasing-the-receiving-TE-fad by pulling the trigger on Dustin Keller in round 1, that guy is by no means a world beater. Hope we did not do the same with Fleener.

But when the coach comes out and says we want a power running game, if Fleener does not produce as well in year 1, I personally would bring us back to Cordy Glenn of Georgia, who would have fit our new O-line style. I even made a thread about him after day 1 was over saying that he could have a Carl Nicks like ceiling and he went at No.42 eventually.

We will see how things turn out.

Yep. In the short term, I do feel Fleener might be a disappointment.

Gronkowski stays on the field for way more downs, and his value to the Pats is more than just the notoriety he has gained catching TDs and gaining yards, thanks to Brady. Thus his extension in the offseason. He went No.42 in the draft. This draft class was weak on TEs, and Fleener was first TE drafted. Fleener's ceiling is at best Jimmy Graham, IMO, and Jimmy Graham went early round 3. So was another receiving TE like Graham, Aaron Hernandez, in round 3.

Dwayne Allen's productivity might surpass Fleener, purely by virtue of playing more downs and being more NFL ready. He is more rounded, it seems like, from all that I am hearing. If our offense was more Peyton-era-like-heavy-pass-oriented, investing in a TE like Dallas Clark early made sense. Jets went with what I call is chasing-the-receiving-TE-fad by pulling the trigger on Dustin Keller in round 1, that guy is by no means a world beater. Hope we did not do the same with Fleener.

But when the coach comes out and says we want a power running game, if Fleener does not produce as well in year 1, I personally would bring us back to Cordy Glenn of Georgia, who would have fit our new O-line style. I even made a thread about him after day 1 was over saying that he could have a Carl Nicks like ceiling and he went at No.42 eventually.

We will see how things turn out.

TBH if we would have resigned Tamme we could have had so much more flexibility in the draft. I KNOW he isn't the physical run blocking TE that Arians likes to support the running game but having him on the roster a solid pass catching TE would have given us the flexibility to draft best player at the top of round 2 instead of taking a need in round 2 and 3. We could have taken that chance on Allen and thus we would have had flexibility to draft anyone Upshaw, Jenkins, Glenn, Silotolu, or Martin. That also still would have given them plenty of flexibility in the 3rd to get Allen if he was there...if not likely one of a few solid players would have fallen to us like Reuben Randle or who we had targeted all along like Casey Hayward. Personally I would have listened to trade offers and moved back and still one of those OL would have been there and we pick up a later pick like the one we gave up to get Hilton. It was clear looking back the coaches mentality. They were happy with Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes at OLB. They were happy with the OL that they brought in (for better or worse). I think this duel TE situation will work out just fine in the long run...I just think its going to take Fleener awhile before he is fully implemented into this offense. Allen I think will contribute right away...and actually be a great weapon for us.

I think Fleener is one of those guys who gonna really show out during the Pre-season in his first year. Much like Jeremy Shocky did...or Midway through the season like Antonio Gates. 90 percent of TE with Fleeners size and skill set are successful in the NFL, it would be very strange if he didn't work out.

I was not sold on Fleener until I watch and Rewatch the tape I had available of him and out of him Jenkins and Upshaw, I chose Fleener as my hopeful pick. I'm sure UPshaw will be good, but seeing as we had no quality TE, I don't see how Fleener can be a bad pick, unless he had some type of bad Work ethic we didn't anticipate or evaluate.