Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Autographs at Training Camp

sb41champs

A good Colts fan-friend - and avid Colts autograph collector - notified me yesterday that the Colts WILL NOT be having the "autograph tents" at training camp this year !!

Players who feel inclined to do so will be signing autographs around the perimeter of the field !!

That ends MY desire to go to camp !! Don't feel like standing in a pushing crowd 5 to 6 people deep in 90 plus degree temps with no shade in a "free-for-all" fashion to try and "maybe" get an autograph !!

:loco: ATTENTION: Colts decision makers !! BAD MOVE - some fans are at camp to network with other fans - some are there to watch practice - and - some are there STRICTLY for the opportunity to get a treasured item autographed !! Free-for-all formats end up with people getting crushed - and - treasured momentos mashed !! :loco:

I liked getting autographs when i was 10.. I grew up.

I go for the team, not to make money off their autographs in years to come.

I'm a grown man and I still enjoy getting autographs, and none of the things I have signed go up for sale. Last year was the first chance I've had to go to training camp on a regular basis and as it turned out I was very lucky to do so, as I got autographs from Manning, Saturday, Clark, Addai, and Brackett along with many others that are no longer with the team. Those are things that I will cherish for the rest of my life and will pass down to my children.

Your comment is very short sided and actually quite spiteful. I don't know who caused you to have a bad day but maybe you should reserve your bitterness for some other place.

A good Colts fan-friend - and avid Colts autograph collector - notified me yesterday that the Colts WILL NOT be having the "autograph tents" at training camp this year !!

Players who feel inclined to do so will be signing autographs around the perimeter of the field !!

That ends MY desire to go to camp !! Don't feel like standing in a pushing crowd 5 to 6 people deep in 90 plus degree temps with no shade in a "free-for-all" fashion to try and "maybe" get an autograph !!

:loco: ATTENTION: Colts decision makers !! BAD MOVE - some fans are at camp to network with other fans - some are there to watch practice - and - some are there STRICTLY for the opportunity to get a treasured item autographed !! Free-for-all formats end up with people getting crushed - and - treasured momentos mashed !! :loco:

I agree, I was actually quite bummed when I heard they were doing away with the tent. I do know there was a big problem with people cutting the line last year and it caused those who were near the bottom of the 110 allowed in to lose their place. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. I do know that there were several players that never took the time to stop at the fence and I would imagine that it will be the same way this year. I think in a year where the team has taken a beating in the PR department, they would quit doing things that upset the fans.

I'm an avid autograph collector as well and thought the tent was a complete waste of time. Sit in line for hours and miss all of practice for 1 maybe 2 autographs from actual starters. Usually it meant getting a bunch of camp bodies after all the wait was quite disappointing. Anderson staff had that thing in complete chaos everyday anyway so I'm glad its done with.

I'm an avid autograph collector as well and thought the tent was a complete waste of time. Sit in line for hours and miss all of practice for 1 maybe 2 autographs from actual starters. Usually it meant getting a bunch of camp bodies after all the wait was quite disappointing. Anderson staff had that thing in complete chaos everyday anyway so I'm glad its done with.

They would let you come and go out of the tent so you were free to go watch practice and not have to sit there the whole time. I got there early, got a good place in line and then would go watch practice, return to my place in line right before they quit and get the autographs. While there were a lot of camp bodies in the tent, every started made their way to the tent at some point also. Can't say the same for what players stopped at the fence.

This news totally bummed me out. I love going to the camp but my main focus has always been on the autographs cause it was really the only chance I would get to obtain them. Especially on the stuff I worked hard to obtain or make to get signed specifically. I think that the way they handled it previoulsy is what led up to this. First year they had no cutoff so the line would get huge and some wouldn't get anything leading to fans being upset. Last year they had the cutoff but those who wanted in line got upset because they didn't want to get there early to secure a spot that would guarantee autographs. I'm just hoping people can be civil about it this year better than last. Last year I had to be a character witness for an incident where people pushed and shoved all for a Wayne autograph. The incident ended in someone being arrested. This year should be interesting to say the least. I'm just hoping I run into Mr. Luck atleast once to get this signed...

0709121252.jpg

I had to work my butt off this summer to be able to even buy it and then I heard about the news with the tent. Hoping everything works out for the best but only time will tell...

Andy

I liked getting autographs when i was 10.. I grew up.

I go for the team, not to make money off their autographs in years to come.

Not EVERYONE that gets autographs intends to make a profit off them. Some are cherished items they'll keep forever, and sometimes, it's NOT really about the autograph, but more about that small amount of time, one-on-one with a favorite player, and NOT just for 10 year olds, either.

Not EVERYONE that gets autographs intends to make a profit off them. Some are cherished items they'll keep forever, and sometimes, it's NOT really about the autograph, but more about that small amount of time, one-on-one with a favorite player, and NOT just for 10 year olds, either.

Agreed. I don't know about most people but no monetary value can be placed on both the time and effort I spent in getting autographs last year. Although I will say it was pretty funny last year to get onto eBay during camp and see all the Colts autographs be listed within a 20-30 mile radius of Anderson with no authenticity other than it was signed at camp. So while some people do it for money I bet most do it for the experience like Gramz said...

Well it's the teams decision not to have the autograph tent so I assume that the players will be available after the practice to sign along the sidelines. They were last year. Hope everyone get's the autographs they want. :thmup:

I think it's more about PR then anything. I would have figured that after coming off a bad season, with no more Peyton Manning and a bunch of guys that are new to the team itself. It woul be important to try and keep the relationship with the fans. I'll be there everyday this year since I work nights and it doesn't interfere with school. Hope everything goes better than I have a feeling it will...